360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

360 Extreme Explorer

Screenshot of the browser:

JJKiD9G.png

(360 Extreme Explorer, Ver: 13.0.2250.0, "Chrome" Theme)

Modified Version download links:

v9 --> (Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 9.5.0.138
Based on Chromium: 63.0.3239.132

v11 --> (Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 11.0.2251.0
Based on Chromium: 69.0.3497.100

v12 --> (Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 12.0.1592.0
Based on Chromium: 78.0.3904.108

v13 --> (Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 13.0.2250.0
Based on Chromium: 86.0.4240.198

(Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 13.0.2310.0
Based on Chromium: 86.0.4240.198

Archive with all versions --> https://archive.org/details/360EE_Modified_Version

See: https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/05/360-extreme-chrome-browser.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20210925152949/https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/360_Extreme_Explorer

Note: The changes I made are so many that maybe some little errors related to translation and/or the building of the modification notes can be present so please tell me if you find any. Also, if you want to propose something else, please be aware that I do not have a lot of free time and that at any moment, I could be gone for a while for whatever reasons (I do not intend to be rude with this comment, feel free to speak yourself). If anyone wants to help, it will be truly appreciated.

Kafan Mini-Browser

Another Chinese Chromium-based browser that seems to be pretty much like a standard Chromium build.

Official Page --> https://browser.kfsafe.cn/

Forum --> https://bbs.kafan.cn/forum-298-1.html

hjgai5I.png

Modified Version download link:

v1

Version: 1.0.0.121 --> (22/03/23)

Version: 1.0.0.127 --> (22/03/23)

Based on Chromium: 87.0.4280.66

Folder --> https://archive.org/details/360EE_Modified_Version

Observations:

- On startup the browser will connect to the website of the search provider selected as default because of the search bar provided on the new tab.

- Browser crashing when inserting a USB drive? --> Disable the "Enable new USB backend" flag in "chrome://flags/" (Thanks to @realisty).

- Only natively compatible with XP-32bits. It can be used on XP-64bits thanks to @Matias Groen (see XP x64 folder).

- Very heavy for old computers.

- Doesn't have NPAPI support.

Original download link (you can unzip the EXE file with 7zip):

http://browser-download.kfsafe.cn/MiniBrowserSetup.exe  (currently down)
Internet Archive alternative link --> http://web.archive.org/web/20221201234530/http://browser-download.kfsafe.cn/MiniBrowserSetup.exe

DC Browser

A Chinese Chromium-based browser. The only version compatible with XP is v4 (Chromium 75).

Official page --> http://dcbrowser.cqttech.com/home 

J7rbIl7.png

Modified Version download link:

v4 --> (Updated 22/03/23)

Version: 4.0.7.22
Based on Chromium: 75.0.3770.100

Folder --> https://archive.org/details/360EE_Modified_Version

Observations:

- On startup the browser will connect to the website of the search provider selected as default. Similar to Mini-Browser.

- All default extensions were removed (the PDF Feature and Screen Capture will not work). You can get them out of the browser's interface through the settings.

- Doesn't have NPAPI support.

- Has DRM support (Win7+) --> https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

Original download link (you need to install to get the browser files, fortunately you can set the location of the installation):

http://file.cdn.cqttech.com/dcbrowser/DCBrowser_1261_4.0.7.22.exe

Patcher to retrieve the translation function for all browsers modified --> https://archive.org/details/360EE_Modified_Version

Usage:

- Inside the "trans_patch.7z" there is a "trans_patch" folder. Extract it.

- Copy and paste the folder in the same place the browser executable file is.

- After that, enter the folder and execute "trans-patch.bat".

- A command-line interface will show up. Depending on the browser you are trying to apply the patches a small question will be promted on CMD. If everything goes correctly the program will show you at the end "Press any key to continue". Press any key, open the browser and check if the translation function was restored.

After all that you can delete the "trans_patch" folder.

It should work without errors. If anything else happens tell me.

Thanks to all the following for the information I could gather for the modification of these browsers:

@Windows 2000, @VistaLover, @Sampei.Nihira@win32@DragonSC7601@redapple0204@blackwingcat, @404notfound@Cixert@thebuildone@ArcticFoxie@Dixel, The Russian Repackers, @dmiranda@we3fan@athlonxpuser and @Greyfox77

I really hope this can help someone,

Cheers.

- Humming Owl

Edited by Humming Owl
Updated 22/03/23

38 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Unfortunately none of these would run on my system - all crash at startup (SSE2 related most likely)...

I just verified the support of SSE2 instructions and my laptop have them. I really do not know if there is a way to avoid that. :unsure:

Hi there. After a failed first attempt, V12 works well in my setup. It loads sites well, including use of multiple youtube tabs. No funny-worrisome connections. Sometimes launching chrome://flags/ crashes the browser. I will keep on testing.

Edited by dmiranda

11 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Note: The changes I made are so many that maybe some little errors related to translation and/or the building of the modification notes can
be present so please tell me if you find any. Also, if you want to propose something else, please be aware that I do not have a lot of free
time and that at any moment, I could be gone for a while for whatever reasons (I do not intend to be rude with this comment, feel free to
speak yourself). If anyone wants to help, it will be truly appreciated. 

One of the routes I was hoping to take but has thus far been unsuccessful is for ALL English text strings to exist in ONE file.

The en_skin.srx file contains a file called browser_strings.xml, this would have been the perfect ONE file location for ALL text strings.

The options.zip file contains an options.html file that uses several <span i18n-content="ID_NAME"></span>

That span tag pulls in text strings from resources.pak, it would have been convenient if I could have deleted all of those text strings from resources.pak and moved them into browser_strings.xml.

A massive ton of work, but ALL text strings would be in ONE file instead of over 4000 files.

Then there are small nuances like you can combine "stop" and "reload" into one main toolbar button.

But the "stop" function can be in TWO places - one over by "back" and "forward" like most browsers do, or two as part of the "go" button at then end address bar.

Create a universal "mask.png" and you can use the "stop" in BOTH places.

Optimize that "mask.png" for one button or the other and you can only use one of those "stop" buttons.

But since "stop" and "reload" (or "refresh", depending on your preference when you translate everything) exists in TWO places, you have the same EXACT text now sitting in TWO resources.pak files.

But since the button for "stop" and "reload" is shared as one button (you can opt to have them separated into two buttons), we end up with the same EXACT text sitting in FOUR resources.pak files.

These exist ALL OVER THE PLACE.

The "hover" text over the Downloads Manager icon should never say one thing if that icon sits in the main toolbar and say something entirely different if that icon is sitting in the status bar.

You don't need the same EXACT icon to have TWO "hover" text strings just because that icon can be placed in TWO different spots.

It doesn't have to be that convoluted and those over 4000 files probably only really needs to be roughly 1000 to 1500 files once all of the REDUNDANCIES are removed.

But anywhoo, I end my rant now...

15 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

(If you want to add more, be aware that the more extensions you have, more resources the browser will use)

In V12 here, and in @articfoxie's V13:2206, I am able to run the following extensions:

FUNCTIONS
All in one web searcher
Allow Right-Click
Behind The Overlay
Close Tab
Context Menu Search
Enhancer for YouTube™
Open With
Sexy Undo Close Tab
Social Fixer for Facebook

PRIVACY AND SECUTIRY
Clean All - History & Cache Cleaner
ClearURLs
[Cookie Autodelete OR Cookiebro (below 12)]
Decentraleyes
Google search link fix
HTTPS Everywhere
Neat URL
Scriptsafe
Ublock Origin
Umatrix

Since scripsafe and All in one web searcher require loading (or something in) \User Data\Default\Local Storage\leveldb, they lose settings on crashes or if you clean that folder, but there is a workaround I could share, if needed.

Also, I run the V9 and V12 builds (have not tried V11) using ArticFoxies modded 360loader exe and ini, with command flags and custom folder/file deletes that I can share, if needed. Cheers!

Edited by dmiranda

16 hours ago, Montana Slim said:

So.... are we 100% safe from Chinese telemetry or gawd knows what else...?

From what I could test, yes.

9 hours ago, Greyfox77 said:

This is amazing. I will try v12 for feedback. I am curious if it crashes like v13 when accessing web apps YouTube etc. 

Thanks! Hope that it works well.

9 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Hi there. After a failed first attempt, V12 works well in my setup. It loads sites well, including use of multiple youtube tabs. No funny-worrisome connections. Sometimes launching chrome://flags/ crashes the browser. I will keep on testing.

I think that the first attempt error you got was caused by the login popup remnant. You have to wait a little when the browser opens for the first time and then press Escape.

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Since scripsafe and All in one web searcher require loading (or something in) \User Data\Default\Local Storage\leveldb, they lose settings on crashes or if you clean that folder, but there is a workaround I could share, if needed.

Also, I run the V9 and V12 builds (have not tried V11) using ArticFoxies modded 360loader exe and ini, with command flags and custom folder/file deletes that I can share, if needed. Cheers!

Ok. Thanks for the info!

Cheers.

Regarding "privacy_security.js" - I know that the direct translations from the original array entries are Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and I was not able to track down the .js math, but if you close 360Chrome, change your clock, open 360Chome, and keep doing that while changing your clock one hour at a time, I found that ("Mon", "Tue", "Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat", "Sun") matches my clock as far as when the green "today" text lines up properly with the day of the week in the anti-tracker settings page.  I don't use it, but I like the day of the week to be proper :D

Good job and thanks for your nice work! I still have to figure out which version I want to use, but I guess I will go for v9 on older systems (Pentium M, Pentium 4) since it's noticeably faster there and v12 on newer systems (Core2Duo/AMD X2 and later) where there isn't much of a speed difference between the versions and enough RAM available so I have a browser that is more compatible with the modern web. I haven't done much testing with v11 so far though.

I saw someone else mentioned here that this browser doesn't run on CPUs without SSE2 and I know it's not really related to the topic but I always wondered if it's possible to compile modern versions of Chromium (or Firefox too) without the SSE2 requirement so they could run on an Athlon XP or Pentium III. Probably not since otherwise someone likely would have done it already but I'm still curious...

I ran all three versions using the portable loader and one of the three created an empty registry string, unsure which version (but I think it was v12).

It was an empty registry string at least while the browser was closed, I may revisit later.

My only test site for curiosity was Google Voice.

And I was quite pleased to discover that Google Voice does work (99%) in v11 Modified and in v12 Modified.

Technically I only dialed up my bank's automated system but that did work in v11 and v12 (but not in v9.5).

So I revisited default repack v12 and confirmed that Google Voice can not make an outgoing call on that version - so one of your under-the-hood tweaks did restore Google Voice to v11 and v12 - awesome!

One observation - it could be a v12 versus v13 observation so bear that in mind.

One of the typos that was corrected is   -->  Changed "Foreget password?" entry to "Forgot password?"

I'd have to dig through some of my list of changes, but in v13, that "foreget" typo is in the Remembered Passwords section and you click it to FORGET the memorized password.

Could just be v13 but that's what comes to mind for that "foreget" typo.

It was either that or it was part of the "360 Account" 'feature' that I am in-process of removing from the GUI altogether.

Looking forward to your Modified_Notes.txt file for v13 - a ton of stuff was done to v12, v11, and v9.5 that I haven't gotten that far yet (I blame trial-and-error on YouTube tests for XP x86 SP2 that delayed my progress for the actual "trimming down" portion of the project).

3 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

Good job and thanks for your nice work! I still have to figure out which version I want to use, but I guess I will go for v9 on older systems (Pentium M, Pentium 4) since it's noticeably faster there and v12 on newer systems (Core2Duo/AMD X2 and later) where there isn't much of a speed difference between the versions and enough RAM available so I have a browser that is more compatible with the modern web. I haven't done much testing with v11 so far though.

I saw someone else mentioned here that this browser doesn't run on CPUs without SSE2 and I know it's not really related to the topic but I always wondered if it's possible to compile modern versions of Chromium (or Firefox too) without the SSE2 requirement so they could run on an Athlon XP or Pentium III. Probably not since otherwise someone likely would have done it already but I'm still curious...

Debian still builds Firefox-ESR without the SSE2 requirement for i686, and I can confirm it works just fine on my Athlon XP 3000+. As for chromium, I have no idea.