Supermium

On 11/19/2023 at 10:51 PM, UCyborg said:

XP? It barely runs on Vista. Downloadable fonts don't seem to work here, I get errors about browser being unable to decode them. Counter-Strike's UI looks really funny, letters or squares instead of icons/images. Also observable on this very forum.

spacer.png

But the strangest problem I've encountered, http://www.quakejs.com/ doesn't load, ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, even with clean profile.

On your screenshot I see a VPN extension with a US IP, could it be the reason for ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, even with a clean profile?

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

On your screenshot I see a VPN extension with a US IP, could it be the reason for ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, even with a clean profile?

Even so, perhaps where he lives he can't do without VPN, so it's not an excuse for that bug.

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Could be due to the fact there was a problem with secure DNS functioning in Supermium, reported on github.

@UCyborg, try to replicate the error with or without secure DNS.

I'll maybe revisit Supermium in the future again, but the last 115 I tried, secure DNS behaved just like in 360 Chrome, meaning not working at all.

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

On your screenshot I see a VPN extension with a US IP

I'm not sure if that is a VPN IP indicator or not.  I know there was an extension posted a while back that places the flag of the web site's location.

So that US Flag could just be indicating that the web site being connected to is located in the US.  As opposed to indicating a VPN using a US IP.

I reproduced http://www.quakejs.com/ issue on Windows 10 VM in both Supermium and Ungoogled Chromium, it has to do with my inconsistent DNS config across different OS installs as it doesn't happen on my main Win10 install, I often connect through the phone connected to home network wirelessly and there I have phone's IP (the one exposed when USB tethering is enabled) entered manually as DNS rather than target DNS directly. VM was using AdGuard DNS IPs directly.

No DNS over HTTPS here, the explanation is on below link, some DNS record was forcing redirect to HTTPS, but that site is only HTTP and trying HTTPS on it redirects back to HTTP:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73230856/307-internal-redirect-non-authoritative-reason-dns

The current flag to turn off the feature in Chromium to look for those records to redirect to HTTPS is at chrome://flags/#use-dns-https-svcb-alpn. AdGuard's DNS server must have that record for this specific website.

BTW, no issue with font decoding in Supermium running on Windows 10.

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

So that US Flag could just be indicating that the web site being connected to is located in the US.  As opposed to indicating a VPN using a US IP.

That is correct, the flag comes from IP Domain Country Flag extension.

Edited by UCyborg

Supermium moves to the stable branch (version 119/120) at the end of this month when the next release will be made. This should reduce the number of upstream-inherited bugs.

GDI rendering should be perfected for this release as well and there will be an option to disable prompts for "unsafe downloads" (and avoid having a sample of the downloaded file possibly being sent to Google).

The GDI option in particular will have improved rendering of remote fonts over Vista-level DirectWrite.

• 2 weeks later...

Installing version 119.0.6045.192 in C:\Program Files, there's an extra step with the new installer, have to unpack it and invoke mini_installer.exe with --system-level command-line argument. I would assume there shouldn't be an extra step (unpacking) required and provided installer file should be able to pass the command-line argument to mini_installer.exe? :dubbio:

Edited by UCyborg

On 12/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, Dixel said:

Is it now fully portable? Did you try already?

The installer did not work for me (Win 7 x64). I had to extract it and open the mini_installer.exe manually. After that it installed fine. I haven‘t tried it out on vanills Vista x64. They just mentioned compatibility with it in release notes. 

By the way, they also changed the Supermium icon that I personally don‘t like (very old classic Chromium design)

On 12/4/2023 at 8:34 AM, Dixel said:

Is it now fully portable? Did you try already?

HW installed Vista 64 sp2  (without extended kernel) just to try it. Works, posting from it now. 

1 hour ago, yoltboy01 said:

The installer did not work for me

The installer worked for me, but nothing showed up in the start menu. Had to search for chrome.exe, which was in C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Supermium\Application.