Supermium

Chromium 115 for Win XP
https://github.com/weolar/xpchrome/releases

I tried it for 10-15 min on 2-3 websites, works "OK"
The only problem I noticed for now, I can't install Extensions from .crx hmm.

I can install latest uBlock Origin 1.53.0 from Chrome web store without problem.
But, if I download latest uBlock Origin 1.53.0 from crx4chrome, and I try to install it from the .crx with drag&drop, it treats it as a download and the .crx ends up in the Downloads folder, and I can't install the Extension from .crx hmm.

How can I install the Extension if I already have the .crx file?

3 hours ago, we3fan said:

How can I install the Extension if I already have the .crx file?

Simply switch the browser to "developer" mode, it works in supermium (which this topic is about).

Should work in others.

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

His reference is to "DiscardVirtualMemory".
A minor setback in my view, but technically/programmatically a "h@lf-a$$ed" scheme that literally just "ignores" arguments assigned to the function yet those arguments remain in the code.
Those "remnants" result in instability.
I would have to research further for a better detailed explanation.
But when it comes right down to it, you cannot "replace" a function with X arguments with a function with Y arguments and call it anything but "h@lf-a$$ed", whether it VISUALLY works or not, the side effects will not always be VISIBLE.

I think this implementation will fail on Win7, but I have not verified.
Still minor in my view, as I still think Win7+ has so many more alternatives than XP and it may be unfortunate that 7 and XP both land in this one thread as far as "browsers working on Older NT-Family OSes".

What are you talkin' about? That part of the code was omitted in Supermium from the start.

And no "magical super alternatives" for win 7 either. Chrome 109 is too old now. 115 is the comfortable minimum here, in Europe.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

What are you talkin' about?

Unfortunately, somebody introduced a Supermium alternative in the Supermium thread.  We were discussing that alternative.

Those discussions should have had their own thread started.  Those discussions have also died down, so the OT has concluded itself and everybody knows this is a Supermium thread.  :cool:

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Unfortunately, somebody introduced a Supermium alternative in the Supermium thread.  We were discussing that alternative.

Those discussions should have had their own thread started.  Those discussions have also died down, so the OT has concluded itself and everybody knows this is a Supermium thread.  :cool:

I'm now starting to suspect why we don't see win32 here often anymore.

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm now starting to suspect why we don't see win32 here often anymore.

Not sure I follow.  I've only been an MSFN Member for four years (my, how time flies!).  In those four years, I don't recall ever witnessing "win32" as a frequent poster.

I'm sure this isn't the only forum that "win32" is a member of.  His frequency being higher at the other haunts, I suspect.

XP? It barely runs on Vista. Downloadable fonts don't seem to work here, I get errors about browser being unable to decode them. Counter-Strike's UI looks really funny, letters or squares instead of icons/images. Also observable on this very forum.

spacer.png

That and the extended kernel broke 360Chrome 13.5, GPU acceleration is non-functional there (GPU process crashes) and almost all extension processes crash on startup.

Though the best Supermium manages is WebGL 1 (2 is non-functional) through ANGLE, only D3D9 (like 360Chrome without extended kernel), native OpenGL can be forced, but slow due to some DXGI function failure, so practically useless. Haven't experimented with NVIDIA drivers beyond the official 368.81.

Vista's D3D11 always seemed more bare-bones to me compared to more feature complete implementation in Windows 7+.

Edit: Right, forgot there was trouble installing extensions first time around, some error to do with trust, didn't note it down...I guess the kernel extension crapped out, was trying out COD:MW Remastered before (without DRM, normally runs on Win7+), the browser started accepting extensions after reboot. But the strangest problem I've encountered, http://www.quakejs.com/ doesn't load, ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, even with clean profile.

Edited by UCyborg

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

XP? It barely runs on Vista. Downloadable fonts don't seem to work here, I get errors about browser being unable to decode them. Counter-Strike's UI looks really funny, letters or squares instead of icons/images. Also observable on this very forum.

spacer.png

That and the extended kernel broke 360Chrome 13.5, GPU acceleration is non-functional there (GPU process crashes) and almost all extension processes crash on startup.

Though the best Supermium manages is WebGL 1 (2 is non-functional) through ANGLE, only D3D9 (like 360Chrome without extended kernel), native OpenGL can be forced, but slow due to some DXGI function failure, so practically useless. Haven't experimented with NVIDIA drivers beyond the official 368.81.

Vista's D3D11 always seemed more bare-bones to me compared to more feature complete implementation in Windows 7+.

Edit: Right, forgot there was trouble installing extensions first time around, some error to do with trust, didn't note it down...I guess the kernel extension crapped out, was trying out COD:MW Remastered before (without DRM, normally runs on Win7+), the browser started accepting extensions after reboot. But the strangest problem I've encountered, http://www.quakejs.com/ doesn't load, ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, even with clean profile.

Which version of the browser did you test? Thanks.

Maybe I exaggerated with barely works, most of the browser probably does work OK, I'm just curious about the fun stuff. It was Supermium 118.0.5991.0. There could be an extra step needed that was maybe buried in some thread on the forum since nobody mentioned the font issue here, but I basically started with Vista SP2 patched with all up-to EOL updates, then added KB4474419 cumulative update, the one for Server 2008, then vistaexkernsetup_03092023.7z. With that setup, it complained about mfplat.dll in chrome://gpu, so installed mfplatsetup.7z as well, just in case.

Well, people on github wrote 115 was more stable. I didn't notice font issues. I keep remote fonts blocked, though ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS seems like a serious issue, did you report on github?