Supermium

2 hours ago, seven4ever said:

I don't want to have a Frankenstein OS

I agree!

Though I will add that many folks' definition will vary.

I myself find POSReady2009 a Frankenstein Hack OS and do not use these "updates" on my XP machines.

But I also remove Cortana completely (I don't "install" with the OS installation then remove it later, it NEVER lands on the hard drive!) on my Win10 machines - some may define that as a Frankenstein Hack OS.

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not one of my daily thread-reads, but I finally now know what OCAPI crap was in reference to.  :blushing:

I mean, it is the only project that goes by its short OCAPI. There's also OCA, but OCAPI is the most used short. :P

"Shorts" are not universal vernacular.

I wouldn't expect the average MSFNer to know NPN, PNP, FET, BOM, CAN, CAM, DDE, FBD, MCU, PCIU, et cetera.

It's like when younger generations use things like SMH, TL;DR, PAW, PITR, PBB, POMS, PAH, TNTL, ADIH, IDC, et cetera and I have to acronym-search them the first 50 times I see them before they sink in to long-term memory.

The name of that project really doesn't say anything to those that don't know it, OneCore is a library that Windows application developers may use to link their applications against.

Windows umbrella libraries

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

CAN

I know this one, Controller Area Network. :P The previous car of mine must have used K-Line.

16 hours ago, seven4ever said:

If the target is to have an up to date Web Browser on an old machine, simply install Linux on it and you can install the updated one of your choice.

That's pretty good advice if it's just the cost of a new system that's holding you back. I think that's true for some.

But I also know several XP users just prefer the XP UI to more recent Windows versions, and they don't even want to switch to Win 7 (to say nothing of 10!) I doubt they'd be very comfortable with a Linux UI; those folks may be willing to go to more extreme measures to stay on XP.

There's also the intangible "thrill factor" of making XP (or even Vista or 7) run programs that Micro$oft, Google, etc. have tried very hard to keep them from running (like modern Chromium) :D

Maybe my computers are too new or my expectations for Linux are too high, but I never understood where it got the reputation that it's good for old hardware. Things just look poorly optimized on Linux from my POV. Have a laptop from 2014 with a poor dual-core 1,35 GHz APU and damn, could scrolling in web browsers feel any heavier? Don't get me started on video in a web browser, LOL. Though TBH, I haven't experimented with lightweight desktops, but then it's 2023 and don't see a reason why should I settle for anything less than KDE. But I'm not sure that would help with anything but RAM consumption and from what I've read some time ago, KDE at some point even surpassed certain "lightweight" desktops in performance department. I don't consider RAM consumption an issue, could get 8 GB of RAM easily if I wanted, currently it only has 2 GB, upgrading just wasn't a priority due to just occasional lighter use without opening too much stuff at once.

Edited by UCyborg

My experience on an old laptop from 2006. It vas delivered with Vista. (4 Gb but works with 2).

Partitionning HDD to get place for linux. Installing W7 in place of Seven, installing Linux Mint in dual Boot.

W7 and Linux have same latest Firefox ESR version. Surfing is fluent under Linux, not fluent under W7 (all drivers installed).  Linux is more efficient on a dedicated  Machine with same bowser.

2 hours ago, woi said:

Offtopic: Looks like someone just ported Chromium 115 to Windows XP http://xpchrome.com/

Can everyone test it on your XP machine/VM?

I forgot to say this but the browser seems to be compiled on 64-bit (it may work on 64-bit XP).

Edit: Looks like it requires you to scan a QR code, that's probably because it's a commercial browser.

and of course, it's chinese browser and is going to problem for those that don't want chinese browser, and i try with xp 32 bit, error appear

and there no 32 bit version that browser

image.png.c16cf889621b736fba18218c3809e0c9.png

Edited by MWF

@seven4ever
I can't say I notice a difference between Linux and Windows when it comes to general surfing these days, so if I just look at load times. I do remember about 10 years ago on this 2009 desktop, which had an older GPU back then (which drivers sucked for gaming on Linux), Firefox was noticeably more fluent on Linux than on Windows 7. Web was much simpler back then. Things start to differ these days when you start looking at WebGL/video decoding and such, very dependent on GPU drivers.

I'd still go Linux route if I had the problem with newer Windows rather than mess with h@lf-a$$ed Chromium backports. You even have working native Widevine on Linux these days for DRM streams, which wasn't the case years ago. While I can live without Widevine, I'm the only one in my family who can. :P But I also don't have any attachment to legacy Windows either.

6 hours ago, woi said:

Just looking at chrome.dll in PE Viewer, no effort was done even for Windows 7 compatibility, imports DiscardVirtualMemory like official Chromium. So, nothing to see here. :boring:

how goes to watch video on youtube in that browser? mine i test it on 2nd gen intel core i5 2540m with intel hd graphics 3000 (from dual boot) and even it's not reach to 100%, the video is not play well on higher quality like 480p, 780p and 1080p, it play fine on 360p and one issue is google meet when i try to screenshare, it crash, and of course the ui is glitch cuz it's using windows 10 ui and not using classic theme like supermium it does use classic theme at least on chrome flag option

Edited by MWF