My Browser Builds (Part 2)

On 12/27/2020 at 1:38 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

In all honesty, I don't quite see why I'm being mentioned by @ArcticFoxie, since in that other thread I clearly stated: 

On 12/25/2020 at 6:57 AM, VistaLover said:

I also abhore auto-everything

image.png.b3c1079bc0c8b3c5d058e15018de7531.png ... and everything includes, of course, Adobe Flash Player (their updater has been deleted, I only update at will, manually, my portable (PAF format) browser installations, except for IE9, for which I install the ActiveX globally... 

As for what @siria mentioned, 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, siria said:

And that once updated, it's near impossible to downgrade again to an older Flash version...

... this is still doable, as I already detailed in the dedicated Flash thread last summer: 

Kind regards :)

image.png

Edited by VistaLover

Hi

2 hours ago, we3fan said:

Does Good Old Youtube 1.16.0 still work for you guys on XP?

I no longer use youtube with Windows XP because they do everything they can to make it difficult for us to view videos with scripts that crash all the time on browsers adapting to xp. The "Good Old YouTube 1.16.0" plug-in no longer works on xp browsers, but there are workarounds for this problem.:cool:

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Nothing to do with XP, Good Old YouTube 1.16.0 doesn't work in recent Chrome and Firefox releases anymore neither.

I use "https://instances.invidio.us" which works much better or even the Russian copy of youtube "https://kzclip.com" which uses the old youtube interface for streaming youtube videos and which does not cause any problem on browsers adapting to xp. The proof that this problem is intentionally caused by the people in charge of youtube.:angry:

34 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

Which instance? No matter the instance, either the search doesn't work or some videos don't load (stuck on loading the page or I get the error: Unsupported video type or invalid file).

34 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

or even the Russian copy of youtube "https://kzclip.com"

This one also gets stuck on search for me. :} Edit: actually, the entire site now gives gateway timeout error.

From what I've seen so far, no reliable replacement exists.

Edited by UCyborg

Hi

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Which instance? No matter the instance, either the search doesn't work or some videos don't load (stuck on loading the page or I get the error: Unsupported video type or invalid file).

For "https://instances.invidio.us" this is what works perfectly "https://invidious.kavin.rocks"

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This one also gets stuck on search for me. :} Edit: actually, the entire site now gives gateway timeout error.

From what I've seen so far, no reliable replacement exists.

very strange, here it works fine with newmoon browser the search works and the videos also on kzclip.com.

2020-12-27_145546.jpg

Seems KZclip was just temporarily inaccessible. No problem with inaccessible videos.

Problem with Invidious:

x8LVbv7.png

I don't know what the pattern is, but it can happen with videos that aren't blocked neither in my country nor in the country where used Invidious instance is hosted.

Edited by UCyborg
KZClip->KZclip

7 hours ago, IXOYE said:

Hi

I no longer use youtube with Windows XP because they do everything they can to make it difficult for us to view videos with scripts that crash all the time on browsers adapting to xp. The "Good Old YouTube 1.16.0" plug-in no longer works on xp browsers, but there are workarounds for this problem.:cool:

A little off topic but for XP\2000 users another alternative to google’s slow and annoying video player rendering with their “new and improved” youtube layout is to stream with VLC player. You probably wouldn’t want to use it very time but when I’m watching a bunch of videos in a row it comes in handy as it's quick and streams flawlessly with no worries of ads.

For those interested the last VLC version to work in the older operating systems is 2.2.6, which can still be downloaded off the internet, filepuma has it.

And as if google’s constant changing and breaking of their sites isn’t enough, they also apparently relish doing the same to their streaming protocols as well on occasion killing video playing with VLC but mercifully linkfanel at github keeps up with it:

https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua

You need to download it raw, make sure its name is youtube.lua and then replace the old one in the app\vlc\lua\playlist folder.

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

A little off topic but for XP\2000 users another alternative to google’s slow and annoying video player rendering with their “new and improved” youtube layout is to stream with VLC player. You probably wouldn’t want to use it very time but when I’m watching a bunch of videos in a row it comes in handy as it's quick and streams flawlessly with no worries of ads.

For those interested the last VLC version to work in the older operating systems is 2.2.6, which can still be downloaded off the internet, filepuma has it.

And as if google’s constant changing and breaking of their sites isn’t enough, they also apparently relish doing the same to their streaming protocols as well on occasion killing video playing with VLC but mercifully linkfanel at github keeps up with it:

https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua

You need to download it raw, make sure its name is youtube.lua and then replace the old one in the app\vlc\lua\playlist folder.

The latest VLC works on XP, so I don't know where you got 2.2.6 from

1 hour ago, asdf2345 said:

The latest VLC works on XP, so I don't know where you got 2.2.6 from

On W2k 2.2.6 is the highest, and that's only because of blackwingcat's kernelex. I have not tested his very latest kernelex version from March 2019 so it's possible 3.0 works, all anyone can do is try it.

If 3.0 is good on XP I stand corrected, it was only tested on W2k and Win7 and 2.2.6 for me is better anyway. It's much preferred over the newer versions.

15 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

On W2k 2.2.6 is the highest, and that's only because of blackwingcat's kernelex. I have not tested his very latest kernelex version from March 2019 so it's possible 3.0 works, all anyone can do is try it.

If 3.0 is good on XP I stand corrected, it was only tested on W2k and Win7 and 2.2.6 for me is better anyway. It's much preferred over the newer versions.

The current stable 3.0.11 works on XP, while later versions of the extended kernel allow for 3.0.0 (and a few after that iirc) to work mostly, but it crashes if you load one of the setting pages...

14 minutes ago, win32 said:

The current stable 3.0.11 works on XP, while later versions of the extended kernel allow for 3.0.0 (and a few after that iirc) to work mostly, but it crashes if you load one of the setting pages...

3.0 is good on w2k then. I never got around to installing a newer kernelex in full, just extracted some of the files from it and replaced the older ones in system32 with them. Interestingly, all of the OSs to play around with and W2k remains the best ever. Blackwingcat's work has been greatly appreciated.

Just to note, for those on Win7 or higher dro's WACUP player (a forked version of winamp) can also stream youtube videos but for now VLC remains the first choice.