My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, adata said:

During live broadcast, the sound is too slow. Once the transmission is over, the material played back later has the correct sound speed.

The only thing I'm aware of with Serpent is having to use: media.mediasource.mp4.enabled set to false otherwise the sound is distorted in a way that could be described as slow. In any case, setting this to false fixed the sound problem for me.

This is a good description of the problem:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1200048/firefox-in-xubuntu-is-playing-mp2t-ts-webm-video-files-with-a-deep-slow

(I don't use Linux)
Ben.

12 hours ago, DanR20 said:

55.0 is back, as usual thanks to Roy for all his work. And as a bonus, formhistory and passwords are also functioning properly. :)

Agreed, and can relate with you on this. 🙂 Thank you so much roytam1 for your work, and all kudos go to him!

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

NM28XP build:
Win32
https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-28.10.7a1.win32-git-20230715-d849524bd-uxp-787a64cf9-xpmod.7z
No official Pale-Moon changes picked since my last build.

Pardon me for asking, but is that based on some new "policy"/conviction? :dubbio:
Also, hash "d849524bd" corresponds to

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commit/d849524bd

which is from 2 (!) years ago... Current tip of the official PM repo is at:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/cd0c08484dd8681e20191592527f8b23a8d3c06c

If that string is there inside the NM28 package's filename as a remnant from past times, perhaps it should be removed, to avoid confusion (for the few people like myself :P who actually check commit hashes/source code ;) ) ...

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32
https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20230715-3219d2d-uxp-787a64cf9-xpmod.7z

My changes picked since my last build:
- [Basilisk] fix missing closing brace in function HistoryMenu from previous commits (cf35c4742)

The redownloaded package (Last modified: 2023-Jul-15 08:00:34):
"basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20230715-3219d2d-uxp-787a64cf9-xpmod.7z"

actually corresponds to custom UXP branch snapshot cf35c4742 ;) ...
And, like above, hash "3219d2d" corresponds to:

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commit/3219d2d

again from two years ago :dubbio:; tip of the official Bk repo is currently at:

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commit/6c67945dafc47792c7028b50405cfd65dab2ff77

If that 2yr-old string inside St52's package filename serves no purpose now, perhaps remove it altogether?

AFAIAC, latest St52 package could just be named (for x86, SSE2+) as:

basilisk52-g4.8.win32-uxp-custom-git-20230715-gcf35c4742-xpmod.7z

Kind regards, thanks for the stupendous work you're doing :wub: ...

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

If that string is there inside the NM28 package's filename as a remnant from past times, perhaps it should be removed, to avoid confusion (for the few people like myself :P who actually check commit hashes/source code ;) ) ...

if you remember whats going on 2 years ago you may know why it is still here, and yes I do think about if it is good to change it or not.

but I fear changing it could break the downloader so I decided not changing it for the moment.

I just tried html5test.com for the first time in several months and found it doesn't work any more! It just shows a spinning wheel that never stops.

I tried St 55, 52, IceApe, clean profile, and versions as old as May 5 of this year. Nothing worked except 360Chrome.

Perhaps they changed something. Maybe I'm not looking at it right but I don't see any JS errors.

Wait - I think I see the problem. There's a message: api.whichbrowser.net uses an expired security certificate. Expired on 7/12. But why does 360Chrome work? Surely that certificate is expired on all browsers!

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Wait - I think I see the problem. There's a message: api.whichbrowser.net uses an expired security certificate. Expired on 7/12. But why does 360Chrome work? Surely that certificate is expired on all browsers!

Firefox relies on its own cert store, whereas 360 uses both, its own, plus the one on your PC. Moreover, in 360 it can be forced to proceed with unsafe certs with a flag (which they might have done with an XP version, at least).

Try to force this one, too.

Hey there, so...

ebay.com

If you try to bid, there's a message saying they're having trouble connecting to the servers. This happens on

Pale Moon 28.10.6a1 2023-6-26 32bit. Anyone else get this?

My bank has an old website that works in these Firefox, and it mostly works in Opera 12. Recently they've began offering a "modern" version as an option in parallel. But it doesn't need to be used. However, they required that I update my personal data such as phone number, address, and expected turnover, or I get booted out if I do not do it. Turns out that interface requires Chromium or maybe Quantum. In New Moon and Serpent it showed a white page. Turns out the only changes needed were a country code for the phone number. I'd be royally screwed if I didn't have Windows NT 6 and Opera (Opium).

1 hour ago, j7n said:

I'd be royally screwed if I didn't have Windows NT 6 and Opera (Opium).

My bank requires clients to have either Android 5.0+ or Windows NT 10.0+, because those are requirements of 2FA applications on either platform. Or you can do things offline.

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

if you remember what's going on 2 years ago, you may know why it is still here,

... Of course I do ;) , I was here for all that period... Hopefully, "these dark times" (:angry:) are now way behind us, never to be experienced again (fingers crossed) ...

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

but I fear changing it could break the downloader

Are you referring to @i430VX 's one (and various other, home-made recipes, based on batch files) ? Surely, these "convenience" tools could be adapted for newer, more "accurate", browser-package filenames, especially if a notice was put out a week or two before any eventual changes ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

because those are requirements of 2FA applications on either platform

GitHub, i.e. Microsoft, are currently "baking" another "royal screw" :angry: for "legacy" clients/platforms, in the form of "passkeys" :realmad:; it's currently under a "Feature Preview" flag one can opt out of, for now: 

pEdg6eg.png

About passkeys - GitHub Docs

According to:

https://passkeys.dev/device-support/

this "security" feature (which is based on the Web Authentication API) requires at least Google Chrome 108 and Win11 22H2 :realmad: ...

https://passkeys.dev/docs/reference/windows/

I've resisted 2FA on GitHub with a passion (as I don't own a mobile device myself ;)), but I sense it'll become mandatory even for "plain" GH users such as I :(; earlier in the year, it was shoved down the throats of "repo/organisation" managers, or something to that effect...

Edited by VistaLover

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Nothing worked except 360Chrome.
But why does 360Chrome work? Surely that certificate is expired on all browsers!

Was that under Windows XP? 360EE variants have known limitations under that OS to verify certificates, associated with the OS's inability to support ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography) and SNI, among other ailments... 

The v13.x variants (Ch86-based) are known to produce the infamous "red X" icon in their URL bar over many HTTPS connections, and such reports are common inside the 360EE subforums ;) ... The fact they do connect implies that secure negotiation is, in essence, broken under XP (it is silently by-passed :( ) ... 

The "cosmetic" annoyance of the "red X" icon is usually suppressed by the
" --ignore-certificate-errors"
flag, indeed present inside the "360Loader.ini" shipped with the NHTPG "mods"; are you using one of these?

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

Moreover, in 360 it can be forced to proceed with unsafe certs with a flag
(which they might have done with an XP version, at least).

Exactly! :P

Edited by VistaLover

Firefox has a nasty bug, where it can't properly process enterprise or self-signed roots. If you encountered them, I advise to add this string to default.ini and then try again,

security.enterprise_roots.enabled=true

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did you also try Mypal 68:dubbio: It is Quantum based and on a JavaScript engine level of 78.

I don't have that. Is it stable? Last time I read about it people mentioned that it crashed.