My Browser Builds (Part 4)

5 hours ago, Proteus said:

in the latest 64bit version New Moon 28 the downloads drop box in the toolbar is unresponsive.. In addition, Downloads part of Library tool remains empty. Previous version of omni.ja restores a correct behaviour. (I didn't tested 32bit version of NM28)

Hi @Proteus :) ; let me assure you you're not imagining things here ;) ; there's definitely something broken in the downloads API of the latest batch of the UXP releases :( , as I've found myself when updating to the latest St52 (32-bit) ...

For starters, something has reset the user-set default download action based on file-extension :angry: ; clicking on a link to a zip file, I was presented with below "choose window":

Q6XtYta.png

For years, my default DL action was "Save File" ; I had to set this anew ...

I'm also using the "Downloads Window" legacy extension, which approximates the old, Fx24-era, "toolkit" DL window, but that shouldn't matter, because the extension hooks directly to the "Library=>Downloads" interface...

Immediately after saving the zip file shown above, the DLs Window appears completely empty (as reported):

tJvh9Yp.png

When I invoked that window a second time (via the toolbar DL button), only the latest DL entry of the session appears, and even that without its details (size, domain, time):

7LMcxot.png

Scrolling down in that 1-entry window makes previous entries magically appear, again without their DL details:

y1PcFOD.png

The only way to fix those DL "oddities" is a browser restart, after which things return to a "normal" state:

bCJqqsj.png

Previous St52 x86 build did not suffer from these bugs...

@roytam1 , in your "DL-manager-extensions" related post you cited the new IntlAPI commits as the probable culprit, do you think that:

[network] Prepare for requiring Authorization in CORS ACAH preflight

and:

[XPCOM] Win: Update executable extension list

could have also played a part towards the DL breakages? Thanks in advance for any insight :) ...

Edited by VistaLover

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

for a record, intl changes seems causes FlashGot/DTA/GeA download dialog somewhat broken, with error message in javascript console:

Using downthemall-nightly-20190820 I can't replicate this on build 2023-07-07 of SP52. All fine on a vanilla and browsing profiles on my side.

Laptop was waken up from sleep, another vicious circle happened in latest St52, this time trying to download an .EXE file :realmad: :

raZQmIa.png

M6sVrhV.png

11SAdUj.png

The same display as above, but with the Downloads Window extension disabled:

TFRh8Ox.png

This is extremely frustrating for me, to the point I'll downgrade to previous weekend's St52 - but, for how long :dubbio:?

Is no-one else seeing something similar? :}

Later addition: FTR, I have below, downloads-related, prefs modified from their default values:

browser.download.panel.shown;true
browser.download.saveZoneInformation;0
browser.download.useDownloadDir;false
privacy.cpd.downloads;false

Edited by VistaLover

27 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I'm unable to replicate that here, it's working fine on my end, sorry, my sincerest apologies for that. I'm also on latest St52.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Laptop was waken up from sleep, another vicious circle happened in latest St52, this time trying to download an .EXE file :realmad: :

raZQmIa.png

M6sVrhV.png

11SAdUj.png

The same indication as above, but with the Downloads Window extension disabled:

TFRh8Ox.png

This is extremely frustrating for me, to the point I'll downgrade to previous weekend's St52 - but, for how long :dubbio:?

As I already wrote in my previous post, I use the latest version of Serpent 52. I didn't notice any problems with the built-in download manager. All downloaded files are shown in the list correctly, but the download dialogue window looks broken from time to time as yours above. One time as usual, the next time broken. Very strange! :dubbio:Anyway! You can try the extension Download Manager S3 4.13! It changes the view completely.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

my workaround seems working fine here, so it will work again in next build.

and BTW if you get this and go to github, you can have similar error message regarding other intl object.

Edited by roytam1

4 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

my workaround seems working fine here, so it will work again in next build.

and BTW if you get this and go to github, you can have similar error message regarding other intl object.

... Just a short while before you posted this, I had finished applying your fix locally :P ; unfortunately, this, again, involves messing with the omni.ja archive...

The file to be patched according to the GitHub commit resides in:

"<St52-appDir>\!omni.ja\modules\DownloadUtils.jsm"

(! = expanded)

After you've finished patching the file, locate

"<St52-appDir>\!omni.ja\jsloader\resource\gre\modules\DownloadUtils.jsm"

and DELETE it; this is a compiled version of the (original) file in the previous location; by deleting it, you'll force St52 to load the edited raw source file rather than the compiled one (minute performance degradation to be expected :P).

Once finished, repack (and re-optimise) to an omni.ja file, overwriting the original...

So far, so good :) ...

40 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

but the download dialogue window looks broken from time to time as yours above.
One time as usual, the next time broken.
Very strange!

... Thanks for the confirmation! :thumbup

2 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

It happens only in my fresh profile of Serpent 52. In my main profile, Classic Theme Restorer and Download Manager S3 are installed. No such issues there! :P

15 minutes ago, VistaLover said:
57 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Very strange!

Can't replicate. Maybe 2023-07-70 was updated? I downloaded just today, after word the about:addons thingie was working.

EDIT Note that I delete the following files from basilisk root folder:

:: Kill borwsers
C:\Desktop\Filemngt\KillProcess.exe BASILISK.EXE
C:\Desktop\Filemngt\KillProcess.exe mypal.exe

:: Clean basilisk and mypals installations
cd C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk
del api-ms-*.*
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\D3DCompiler_*.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\msvcp140.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\ucrtbase.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\vcomp140.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\vcruntime140.dll"
rmdir /q /s C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\uninstall\
copy /y "C:\Internet\Browse\[settings]\1Basic\dependentlibs.list" "C:\Internet\Browse\Basilisk\dependentlibs.list"
cd C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal
del api-ms-*.*
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\D3DCompiler_*.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\msvcp140.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\ucrtbase.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\vcomp140.dll"
del "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\vcruntime140.dll"
rmdir /q /s C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\uninstall\
copy /y "C:\Internet\Browse\[settings]\11Mypal\dependentlibs.list" "C:\Internet\Browse\Mypal\dependentlibs.list"

Where dependentlibs.list includes entries not deleted by the bat file.

Edited by dmiranda

But in my browsing (not fresh) profiles, sometimes the addon-page comes out empty. Either a conflicting addon, or an about:config setting.

EDIT: on refresh it works again...

Edited by dmiranda

The errors related to downloads happened the first time around when testing in a VM, then I applied modifed DownloadUtils.jsm and it was fine. But then I deleted the entire profile and re-extracted Serpent from the downloaded archive, restoring the original state and it didn't happen again. :blink:

Another oddity, when I deleted the profile, the browser didn't ask if I want to "install" the two extensions I put in the browser's folder in browser\extensions subfolder, which it did the first time around. Why not?? I saw them in disabled state in about:addons page. Is there another place something is stored that I'm not aware of besides the two profile folders (one in AppData\Roaming and another in AppData\Local)?

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, dmiranda said:
2 hours ago, VistaLover said:
2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Very strange!

Can't replicate. Maybe 2023-07-70 was updated? I downloaded just today, after word the about:addons thingie was working.

@dmiranda! The download dialogue window in Serpent 52 looks broken from time to time. Here are two screenshots to show you the issue:

One time as usual:

Serpent-52-Download-dialogue-as-usual.pn

The next time broken:

Serpent-52-Download-dialogue-broken.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

On 7/10/2023 at 3:21 AM, UCyborg said:

Is there another place something is stored that I'm not aware of besides the two profile folders (one in AppData\Roaming and another in AppData\Local)?

No, I don't think so.

@Roytam1

Another bug is discovered in NM 27: Printing is not possible. It crashes immediately (all 3 buttons: Page Setup..., Print Preview, Print...). I do not know, which release introduced it, cca. 2 months before it worked.