My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1. Some discussion forums on newer engines are not supported

e.g.

https://community.openstreetmap.org
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com
https://discourse.coreelec.org

Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply.

2. https://banbye.com
Basilisk browser v 52 & 55 it is not possible to enlarge the video window to full screen
Full_screen_switch_dont_work.thumb.png.ad5ca3bc16cb6f019cda8dd473e18bac.png

button does not work, clicking does not do anything.

In recent weeks they have changed something in the source code of the
site and there is a problem with the site remembering its
appearance settings.
When you log in to the site, it doesn't remember your
light/dark settings, and when you go to the
next subpage (another video), it comes back again as if
it were still in dark mode, despite the light setting.

Previously, it always remembered the bright appearance once set.

@adata 1. For Discourse-based discussion forums breaking (like the ones you have mentioned in your post), you can use this solution:

2. I cannot confirm your issue about banbye.com's videos in Serpent 52. Clicking on the full screen icon enlarges the video fine. It is, however, indeed broken in Serpent 55.

Edited by mina7601

8 hours ago, mina7601 said:

1. For Discourse-based discussion forums breaking (like the ones you have mentioned in your post), you can use this solution:

... That post is quite old by now :P ; the UXP-based browsers now are fully equipped with all the necessary plumbing (JS features) to fully support discoursed-based forums (their "full" version, not the "dumbed-down" one targeting unsupported browsers); however, their browser-detection scripts fail to recognise UXP-based browsers as "supported", so those sites offer to them that "simplified" version :( ...

Some weeks ago, I had answered that same question posed by j7n but he didn't opt to apply my suggested solution, because it involves an adblocker extension (uBlock Origin legacy) and he did not want to install it himself, because a) he had already other arrangements in place to thwart ads b) he feared that installing that adblocker would, somehow, compromise the quality/speed of his browsing... Here at MSFN we are a democratic community, so I respect his reservations :P; this doesn't mean others are discouraged from acting differently ;) ...

If one has already installed uBO, a custom filter can be added to block the script discourse-based forums serve to sniff browsers

! Discourse-based forums
||*/assets/browser-detect-$script,important

That should be added in the "My Filters" tab...

OTOH, if you have a userscript manager installed (usually their names end in "*monkey:sneaky:), you can add a custom userscript like the one below: 

// ==UserScript==
// @name    CSS aspect-ratio [88] - Discourse Forums
// @version 0.0.1
// @match   *://*/*
// @run-at  document-start
// @grant   none
// ==/UserScript==

!function() {
  let CSS_supports = CSS.supports;
  CSS.supports = function(a) {
    return a === "aspect-ratio: 1" || CSS_supports(a);
  }
}()

This userscript doesn't block the browser-detecting script, it simply tells it that the feature it's looking for exists in the browser (it doesn't, as of now, in reality, but it isn't needed either for properly displaying those sites) ...

So, @adata, you're being offered two current solutions for properly displaying and using ALL the discourse-based forums (not just the three you referenced in your post :P) ...

Best regards :) !

EDIT: If you're NOT running a recent version of Serpent 52, please DO update, preferably to this weekend's release!

Edited by VistaLover

8 hours ago, adata said:

2. https://banbye.com
Basilisk browser v 52 ... it is not possible to enlarge the video window to full screen

Please, to avoid issues with "upstream" developer(s), always refer to the browser as Serpent 52; as already verified by another member, I, too, have no problem at all "fullscreen-ing" video content from banbye in my St52 copy: 

DHIiN5v.png

8 hours ago, adata said:

there is a problem with the site remembering its appearance settings.
When you log in to the site, it doesn't remember your light/dark settings,
and when you go to the next subpage (another video),
it comes back again as if it were still in dark mode, despite the light setting.

As you can expect, I do not have an account with banbye, so can't check whether what you report is specific to logged-in users of that video portal :dubbio:...

In general, site/player preferences are being stored inside browser and/or HTML5 cookies; I'd start by fully wiping out ALL banbye set cookies, clear the browser cache and restart browser - often times, a user setting (e.g. inside a content blocker like uBO, uMatrix, etc.) will block a site from writing/modifying needed cookies and thus site functionality will be impaired...

I'd suggest to you to try the banbye site (its new iteration) in a fresh St52 profile and draw conclusions from then on ;) ...

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

...OTOH, if you have a userscript manager installed (usually their names end in "*monkey:sneaky:), you can add a custom userscript like the one below: 

// ==UserScript==
// @name    CSS aspect-ratio [88] - Discourse Forums
// @version 0.0.1
// @match   *://*/*
// @run-at  document-start
// @grant   none
// ==/UserScript==

!function() {
  let CSS_supports = CSS.supports;
  CSS.supports = function(a) {
    return a === "aspect-ratio: 1" || CSS_supports(a);
  }
}()

This userscript doesn't block the browser-detecting script, it simply tells it that the feature it's looking for exists in the browser (it doesn't, as of now, in reality, but it isn't needed either for properly displaying those sites) ...

Thanks very much sir, for this userscript! It makes all Discourse-based forums load properly in UXP-based browsers! :cheerleader:

Edited by mina7601