My Browser Builds (Part 4)

6 hours ago, feodor2 said:

The error is the same, also i tried to move basilisk dir from the application to the main uxp dir.

If to switch to the custom branch it is fine, but you told earlier to switch exactly to the custom-platform, so something broken there.

if you want to build in-tree basilisk, use custom branch.

if you want to build out-of-tree basilisk/icedove/iceape/etc., use custom-platform branch.

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... I've been following that report :P, thanks, but as of yet, despite a "complaining" DownloadUtils.jsm file, @martok, the author of the culprit Intl code, still can't reproduce <_< ... Perhaps it'd be wise to point him to the recent, relevant, posts here, affecting NM28 and St52's native download managers :dubbio:...

martok further described the problem, but still no solution yet.

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/2271#issuecomment-36939

5 minutes ago, feodor2 said:

@roytam1 I want to build your most recent versions of the serpent, what branch to choose for?

you can use custom branch, unless you want to build official basilisk, which requires checking out basilisk in separated folder and link my UXP (custom-platform) as "platform" subfolder.

7 hours ago, Milkinis said:

do you want to build  a Centaury V2 ?

Why, i told that if i shall build new Centaury it will be upon waterfox classic, but still why, only for older xul extensions.

I think i shall not to disperse for two browsers instead i do better one better. This was about intl/icu which messes time, i see @roytam1 updated it too.

First it does wrong, second why it messes with time at all, what a point to keep megabytes table like icudt63l.dat?

Now i see serpent still not use icu for time calculations, so i have removed icu there.

What this icu stand for, may be good for builds on linux, macos, etc. If you know you builds only for windows why not get rid it as useless s*** and save a good bunch of megabytes.

7 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you can use custom branch, unless you want to build official basilisk, which requires checking out basilisk in separated folder and link my UXP (custom-platform) as "platform" subfolder.

Got it, also this means that my old guide still correct only to choose the right checkout

1 hour ago, feodor2 said:

Why, i told that if i shall build new Centaury it will be upon waterfox classic, but still why, only for older xul extensions.

I don't miss old extensions and they will fade away over time because not many devs are makimg them anymore.

1 hour ago, feodor2 said:

I think i shall not to disperse for two browsers instead i do better one better.

are you alone behind the Mypal 68 project ? nobody else wants to help you out on debugging ?

On 7/11/2023 at 12:19 PM, AstroSkipper said:

This oddity I had already observed in old Firefox versions. Sometimes, extensions, which had been placed in the browser's folder in browser\extensions subfolder, weren't recognized when starting the browser. Maybe, this issue hasn't been really fixed and is thus still present in all forks. Just an assumption! In my case, I therefore don't place extensions there anymore.

They work fine when installed there if the rules are followed and extension doesn't make assumptions about its location. For extensions that don't require unpacking, XPI file must be named after its ID, so if its ID is {aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee}, full file name must be {aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee}.xpi.

Extensions that require to be unpacked should be unpacked in a folder named after its ID, so in this hypothetical example, the folder name would be "{aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee}" (without quotes).

ID is written inside the extension's install.rdf, under the extension's description tag, eg.:

<Description rdf:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
  <em:id>{aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee}</em:id>

If it requires unpacking, there will be "unpack" tag inside the same description tag set to "true", eg.:

<em:unpack>true</em:unpack>

On 7/10/2023 at 2:21 AM, UCyborg said:

Another oddity, when I deleted the profile, the browser didn't ask if I want to "install" the two extensions I put in the browser's folder in browser\extensions subfolder, which it did the first time around. Why not?? I saw them in disabled state in about:addons page. Is there another place something is stored that I'm not aware of besides the two profile folders (one in AppData\Roaming and another in AppData\Local)?

On 7/11/2023 at 2:42 AM, mina7601 said:

No, I don't think so.

Nothing unusual actually, that prompt apparently shows only if the browser already has all available extensions noted in user's profile and a new extension is added globally (so the browser detects difference between noted extensions and ones actually installed). Starting with a fresh profile, there is no prompt, globally installed extensions just default to disabled initial state.

22 hours ago, feodor2 said:

First it does wrong, second why it messes with time at all, what a point to keep megabytes table like icudt63l.dat?

Now i see serpent still not use icu for time calculations, so i have removed icu there.

What this icu stand for, may be good for builds on linux, macos, etc. If you know you builds only for windows why not get rid it as useless s*** and save a good bunch of megabytes.

Skipping building the ICU files used to be possible until Firefox 48 or 49 by using the "--without-intl-api" configure flag. As a result of the relevant Mozilla bug report below, Mozilla decided to remove the --without-intl-api configure flag, meaning the ICU files must build and be present in the objdir/dist/bin directory in order for the browser to launch. OT: I'm trying to build Firefox 30 using Visual C++ 2008, and I do use the --without-intl-api flag in my mozconfig file. I haven't tested if that means intl.* functions will not work. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1301882

Edited by ClassicNick
Moved the link to bottom of post

On 7/11/2023 at 11:02 PM, basilisk-dev said:

I'm planning on backporting this to Basilisk. When I do @roytam1 will be able to pull my change into Serpent.

On 7/11/2023 at 11:53 PM, VistaLover said:

thanks in advance to Roy :wub: , too, for when the backport gets merged "here"...

@roytam1 : As promised ;) :thumbup :

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commit/d94b1a31eea71816f2ffbc2593dab09339d8585d

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commit/19fb10aabcb848ff70bee17a9b8275b6d071e6c8

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/commit/5c1cad1353778d85c39743bfb07fa840020c8581

10 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

Please, kindly edit that link to not include the "," at the end, because currently it leads to:

Invalid Bug ID
Sorry, I can't find "1301882,". It does not seem like bug number nor an alias to a bug.

Edited by VistaLover

Several bugs with today's versions. Serpent 55 won't open, it's crashing at startup with the Fault Module Name: mozjs.dll. Tried with a new profile.

In 52.0 I can't get formhistory to work in text boxes or passwords. This was always a problem on and off, if it didn't show you could re-boot and that would usually fix it but today it's not coming in at all. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:31 PM, DanR20 said:

Serpent 55 won't open, it's crashing at startup with the Fault Module Name: mozjs.dll. Tried with a new profile.

Serpent 55 is starting up fine for me here. no crashes here or anything. This is also on a brand new profile. Am I missing something? :dubbio:

VQKv-L981ri.png

Edit: This is misinformation, my mistake, since I used Serpent old version, which doesn't crash and incorrectly talked about it here, even though the reply was about the latest version. @Dave-H please delete my post, and also delete all posts relating to it in the next page. I am really very sorry for doing this, and I will be more careful in the future, and won't do this mistake again. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Edited by mina7601