YT may not work on old browsers anymore, starting March 2020

reboot12

59 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Well it seems any day now (though likely September 2020), the Polymer 2 will be the ONLY way to view YouTube.  What is the consensus on this?  I don't use XP, but I was using Pale Moon and it will also be affected.  What are the plans of many of you moving forward?

I will hold onto the old one for dear life. When they finally rip it away I will probably still (though nearly unbearably, nothing has separation, and very slow) use normal YouTube some, but explore alternative youtube "shell" sites. (there was one that doesn't look too great in appearance but is incredibly lightweight, the name escapes me)

1 minute ago, i430VX said:

but explore alternative youtube "shell" sites. (there was one that doesn't look too great in appearance but is incredibly lightweight, the name escapes me)

I know there is invidio.us, but I found it to be much slower than classic (and similar to Polymer v1) on my T60.

Even with my Xeon X5670, slowness is apparent with Polymer v1. If/when Polymer v2 is made mandatory, and Pale Moon/New Moon/Basilisk/Serpent don't support it by then, I somehow think I will be dumping Google (who has been fighting a rough battle with the YouTube "shells" working on providing alternatives for NT5/old hardware), not 2000/2003.

Lots more needs to happen for me to permanently jump to another OS.

Maybe it should be considered to search for a Youtube video downloader. Now that is quite a virus-infested field, but it saves a lot of CPU power, as the videos don't have to be streamed and played in realtime. But please consider, that videos as a whole take quite a lot of hard drive space. Basiclly, you can watch Youtube videos on a 20 year old Pentium 3 like that.

Sites and programs in this field come and go. But I would be quite cautious there. The site I use is quite dumb and can be perfectly tailored with a Hosts file to have only the functional parts without the scam.

10 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Maybe it should be considered to search for a Youtube video downloader.

The one found here is good. Try also the source filter for direct streaming.

There is also JDownloader , but that's kinda heavy. I use it for bulk downloads.

SMPlayer was nice too, but i can't run the newer versions since they switched to QT5...

15 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Well it seems any day now (though likely September 2020), the Polymer 2 will be the ONLY way to view YouTube.  What is the consensus on this?  I don't use XP, but I was using Pale Moon and it will also be affected.  What are the plans of many of you moving forward?

Yandex 17.4.1 (a 2017 version based on Chromium 57) supports YouTube’s Polymer v2 as well as XP. (VistaLover prefers a portable version based on Chromium 58, but I don’t know if anyone has used it on XP.) Another advantage: I found in February that a current version of UBO (not a legacy version) worked with Yandex 17.4.1 on Vista. My Vista hardware is currently out of commission so that might have changed by now.

Here's an example of how our buddy Matty Tobin (and the Pale Moon suck-up Sajadi) are NOT AT ALL helpful.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24573

And they wonder why people will migrate away from Pale Moon.  Spiff up guys and be nicer.  Actually help people.  And never mind that fifty threads were already made on this - just help people.  If YouTube stops working, your browsers are screwed.

Hmm, I think someone touched a nerve there, their post was not in any way worded as a complaint, just a question!
Reading between the lines, I suspect that the Pale Moon devs know they've got a real problem there, and their knee jerk reaction to a question about it was to become very defensive and dismissive.
:)

Oh @Dave-H this is nothing new at all.  you can't EVER ask advice or questions without Moon-Matt and their minions biting your head off.

And it's sad really, because Matt Tobin is VERY talented - he really is.  I think Interlink is a TERRIFIC mail client.  But his decorum, and Moonchild's for that matter is just atrocious.

As much as it may make me seem like a jerk to keep pointing this stuff out (I'm fully cognizant of that), sorry, but users need to be made aware of just how asinine that development team is.  And I will exercise career-like dedication of that pursuit.

25 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Oh @Dave-H this is nothing new at all.  you can't EVER ask advice or questions without Moon-Matt and their minions biting your head off.

And it's sad really, because Matt Tobin is VERY talented - he really is.  I think Interlink is a TERRIFIC mail client.  But his decorum, and Moonchild's for that matter is just atrocious.

As much as it may make me seem like a jerk to keep pointing this stuff out (I'm fully cognizant of that), sorry, but users need to be made aware of just how asinine that development team is.  And I will exercise career-like dedication of that pursuit.

Rather Giving Matt Tobin credit for mail client , give it to Seamonkey team who made that stuff and matt just went out to port it to UXP

Edited by Dibya

The greater evil is YouTube’s owner, Google. They are not in the habit of making things easy for Firefox, much less for developers of Firefox forks. As VistaLover pointed out on page 1 of this thread (which has not benefited much from subsequent expansion IMO), Firefox Quantum 63 or above supports Polymer v2 but UXP does not. If MCP thinks they can backport Polymer v2 support to UXP, then I wish them luck. For XP/Vista, Yandex 17 (or perhaps one of the Chinese Chromium backports) is the alternative. 

6 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

...you can't EVER ask advice or questions without Moon-Matt and their minions biting your head off.

That's too bad, for I've seen examples of when Matt Tobin actually can be decent (the thread about finding permanent names for roytam1's browsers, for example).

I think it's just that, for whatever reason, he seems to get impatient very easily and apparently has a bit of a temper.

6 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

because Matt Tobin is VERY talented - he really is.  I think Interlink is a TERRIFIC mail client.

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

Rather Giving Matt Tobin credit for mail client , give it to Seamonkey team who made that stuff and matt just went out to port it to UXP

Even so, Seamonkey's email client is integrated within the browser suite, and it is nice to have it as a standalone program à la Thunderbird for those who don't want the whole SM suite just for the email client, so we can give him credit for that, if nothing else.

Anyway, my main OS is macOS 10.13 from 2017 right now, and Polymer 2 is in no danger of being unsupported there.  However, I do still dabble with NT5.x (and do occasionally use it as my primary OS, depending on need), so it'd be nice to have a browser there which supports it and isn't sponsored by either Google or the Chinese government (I don't trust Chrome or its China-based derivatives to respect any privacy settings whatever, at least not without extraordinary means;  other Chromium-derived browsers (such as modern Opera) are probably OK, but none of those run on NT5 to my knowledge, so....).

I dunno, maybe I'll give one of the Chinese chromiums a try, for they might not be as bad as I'm fearing they are w/re privacy (or maybe it's more easily manageable via HOSTS or other such tweaks than I'm thinking?).  So to that end, which ones of the lot are most current and recommended?

c

Edited by cc333

22 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24573

I feel with them. The Pale Moon developers are like warriors! On the browser war field! It's a bit sad, that the developers have to deal themselves with support stuff (which can be an annoying task). No one can be good at everything... and being nice is definetly not a part of programming.

Maybe we as the users have to adopt to other techniques to gather Youtube videos. Here on the screenshot, we have the video search on Startpage, where at least we can get the links from without having to visit Bloat-tube. Next, one needs a good Youtube video downloader...

XPYTS.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

youtube:
someone figured out that useragent googlebot still gets classic layout :)

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/91/?tab=comments#comment-1183430

Edited by siria