YT may not work on old browsers anymore, starting March 2020

reboot12

youtube-search:
just tried with my ancient browser, and page was empty except a view grayish rectangles.
Then tried at random with another useragent string, and the page showed up again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0

Attention, some browsers come with a bunch of predefined site-specific useragents, that includes domains for youtube and googlevideos. Can be changed on "about:config" page. You can set such strings empty to make them get your current global UA string (true default string or a global override UA) Edited by siria

The thumbnails have also returned for me on Classic. Polymer v2 just shows the grey placeholder rectangles on Serpent 52 but who needs that. :sneaky:

hopefully we are never forced to use mobile versions of sites. they are incredibly dumbed down and look very weird at desktop resolutions.

I just changed my YouTube user agent string on Firefox 52.9 ESR to -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome72.0.3626.121  Safari/537.36

The sidebar information has come back, but I'm now getting the "browser will soon be unsupported" nag at the top of the frame.
Anyone got a good string that might get rid of the latter but keep the former?!

:)

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I just changed my YouTube user agent string on Firefox 52.9 ESR to -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome72.0.3626.121  Safari/537.36

The sidebar information has come back, but I'm now getting the "browser will soon be unsupported" nag at the top of the frame.
Anyone got a good string that might get rid of the latter but keep the former?!

I think this ublock rule should handle it:

! 2.04.2020 https://www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com###old-browser-alert

40 minutes ago, IntMD said:

I think this ublock rule should handle it:

! 2.04.2020 https://www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com###old-browser-alert

Thank you, it has!
:thumbup
It's a uBlock filter BTW, not a rule, which confused me for a while.
Cheers, Dave.

42 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

It's a uBlock filter BTW, not a rule, which confused me for a while.

my bad, have messed up the terms.

glad to know it works.

mine is started to display same symptoms on/off

another thing that is playing up on/off is the share doesn't work,(this keeps coming and going) and the like/dislike, save is greyed out not working

I  wonder if it is to do with the UT server rather than browser side, as the share button like add button seems to come and go,

I had tried disabling ABP and UBO still same

seems to be ok on chrome 49.0 although displays old style layout

I did try this in 52.9.0  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36

it displays as Google chrome 49.0, but you get the nag yellow bar
did have a play with a few UA's SSAQ no go

Edited by DrWho3000

3 hours ago, IntMD said:

my bad, have messed up the terms.

glad to know it works.

No problem, just thought I should mention it in case it throws anyone else!
Thanks again,
Dave.

i've notice with youtube aswell now that if you click on your profile pic, not get the menu, used to till a few days ago, something clearing has changed,

tried loads of UA's and without one using default

did try this  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36, but page doesn't load properly

has anyone found a way around this yet to get 52.9.0 to work properly on UT,
Is UT actually seeing past the UA ?
I know it isnt this browser on this PC, as it does same on 2 other same vbrowsers on 2 other PCs, so it has to be UT

would prefer a Mozilla based UA to the apple webkit, as I like that feel, the apple one looks like a very old style layout

Edited by DrWho3000

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone found a way around getting youtube to work properly on 52.9esr with all the functions

, some stuff loads, others don't

i have tried using default UA and some stuff will not load just white box with spinning circle

tried using various UA's to no avail seems UT must see past the UA i set Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

i have tried setting it to newer FF and all i get is a white page most it will do is version  62

only one so far i found that works, but is on old polymer layout

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36

can the above be made to work on FF with a newer version of above so you have the newer layout on youtube

• 1 month later...

Well it seems any day now (though likely September 2020), the Polymer 2 will be the ONLY way to view YouTube.  What is the consensus on this?  I don't use XP, but I was using Pale Moon and it will also be affected.  What are the plans of many of you moving forward?