360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

On 7/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, XPerceniol said:

Indeed, cool blue skin he created, but I actually use your skin file from an early build of yours (in my picture above a few posting) that I just uploaded - fits my classic XP theme that I use :)

Oh, and did I mention DC Browser ... :sneaky: ... still works!

jisu11.srx 196.99 kB · 0 downloads

You know, I wonder if it was just myself and @msfntor even using DC Browser.

I wish mini browser worked for me, but after the last update I couldn't use it, but I did keep the prior version and it will work, but still a bit too much considering I've only 2GB of reliable memory. My two 500MB sticks are so old and I only put them in occasionally so they don't rot. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, XPerceniol said:

Unfortunately, I've avoided V12 altogether because I see no reason to use it. For me, its just as annoying as V13 in that videos still skip (less so in DC Browser), so, for me, its either V11 or go right to V13; and if you're not concerned with resources, I would recommend V13 or 13.5. The advantage is that Arctic Foxie ungoogled builds take it a step further to deal with the google cookies, but both had telemetry removed, so yes to your question.

That is just my humble (and simple) opinion, and of course, you know what they say about opinions ...:roll1:

I agree so far v11 is best in term of memory consumption. but in some cases v11 can also top of 1gb and I have to manually click memory release button even the option of automatic memory release was selected.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, Humming Owl said:

Some issues with persistent storage with extensions tend to appear with 360EE. Try using an equivalent adblock extension if you want to test if the same happens.

It is exactly the same just with a XP theme, some custom flags (configurations) when starting the browser and the capacity of installing extensions directly from the google webstore removed. All of which can be added to what I share.

Cheers.

Thanks for your confirmation. I've been using both versions in recent days and found ungoogle one doesn't support P2P download acceleration, is it safe to add it back?

Second, ungoogle build is very hard to change default search engine. I added other search engine in bottom section but I can't move it to top panel so it can be selected for default. Thanks.

13 hours ago, vidx21 said:

I agree so far v11 is best in term of memory consumption. but in some cases v11 can also top of 1gb and I have to manually click memory release button even the option of automatic memory release was selected.

This has also happend to me, as well. 

You could try and enable the flag:

Automatic tab discarding
If enabled, tabs get automatically discarded from memory when the system memory is low. Discarded tabs are still visible on the tab strip and get reloaded when clicked on. Info about discarded tabs can be found at chrome://discards. – Mac, Windows

#automatic-tab-discarding

Also: 

"Settings">"Lab"

You could tick:

Automatically discard background tabs when browser uses too much RAM <--This I DO use

Reminder to optimize memory when browser uses too much RAM <--This one I don't use

Good luck!

I also find:

--disable-file-system --disable-gpu

...to be helpful in both 360 and DC Browser. In fact, I use for DC Browser:

--no-first-run --disable-file-system --disable-gpu --disable-logging --disable-webg --disable-component-update --disable-background-networking --ssl-version-min=tls1.2 --enable-strict-mixed-content-checking --no-pings

Tons of flags that I'll write later today. Overall a better option than V12 IMHO, and maybe (just maybe) the autor will discover a way to update it again :)

We're gonna bring DC Browser back to life, of course, when you are feeling up to it, No rush, just get better and stronger each day and try to detox just little each from from the madness. 

Edited by XPerceniol

On 7/5/2022 at 9:55 AM, XPerceniol said:

This has also happend to me, as well. 

You could try and enable the flag:

Automatic tab discarding
If enabled, tabs get automatically discarded from memory when the system memory is low. Discarded tabs are still visible on the tab strip and get reloaded when clicked on. Info about discarded tabs can be found at chrome://discards. – Mac, Windows

#automatic-tab-discarding

Also: 

"Settings">"Lab"

You could tick:

Automatically discard background tabs when browser uses too much RAM <--This I DO use

Reminder to optimize memory when browser uses too much RAM <--This one I don't use

Good luck!

Is is possible we can come up a setting that I saw in browser like Slimjet called "Optimization period" which allows memory release in timed interval? Thanks.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, XPerceniol said:

To go even a bit further backward, @Humming Owl's...

Version: 9.5.0.138
Based on Chromium: 63.0.3239.132

Is super fast without the telemetry as well if you're looking for a light browser, but the internet is getting cruel towards us; sadly.

Without a doubt. I recently tried 360v9.5 again and was quite impressed with the speed myself. Its Chromium engine is only 6 releases older than the version used in 360v11, and seems to offer comparable if not slightly better performance on my Pentium D machine. A meaningful advantage that 360v11 does have is a better TLS 1.3 implementation (I believe TLS 1.3 is supported up to "Experiment 3" in 360v9.5, but in 360v11 it goes all the way up to "Final"), but most sites shouldn't give you trouble on that front.
Chromium-based browsers seem to fare better with sites like Twitter, and 360v9.5 loads the desktop site and runs it with good speed, despite the Chromium 63 engine beginning to show its age now. It definitely handles it better than old Chrome 49, which once ran it like a champ but now struggles with it (probably because aspects of the JS backend had 'modern' JS features added that didn't exist or weren't fully implemented when Chrome 49 was first released).
For people who really like Chromium and don't want to touch anything Mozilla-based, my recommendation is to keep two browsers around: Chrome 49 for basic web surfing, and 360 for sites that won't load in 49 + more serious tasks (with 9.5 or 11 advised as a starting point if you want to keep CPU usage down; you can experiment from there if you absolutely need something more modern).

On 7/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, vidx21 said:

is it safe to add it back?

I don't really know about that, but I know that the custom download engine is the same version in all browsers. I guess you can add the respective files and see what happens.

19 hours ago, vidx21 said:

Is is possible we can come up a setting that I saw in browser like Slimjet called "Optimization period" which allows memory release in timed interval? Thanks.

You may want to try these extensions or an equivalent one.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/memory-saver/dhnagkedjknpmhmdoaggchdefbmbeabk

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-tab-discard/jhnleheckmknfcgijgkadoemagpecfol

Cheers.

Could someone do me a favour and check out this site for me (it's nothing dodgy, I promise!)?
https://www.lner.co.uk/
It's always worked fine before, but now on XP in Firefox 52.9 ESR, and more worryingly in 360Chrome 13.5, it's just a mess.
It's the site of one of the major rail operators here in the UK.
It works fine in Firefox 102 on Windows 10.
It looks to me as if the JavaScript isn't working, and I'd just like a confirmation that it isn't just me with the problem!
Using or not using a local proxy server makes no difference.
Thanks, Dave.
:)

37 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Could someone do me a favour and check out this site for me (it's nothing dodgy, I promise!)?
It's always worked fine before, but now on XP in Firefox 52.9 ESR, and more worryingly in 360Chrome 13.5, it's just a mess.
It looks to me as if the JavaScript isn't working, and I'd just like a confirmation that it isn't just me with the problem!
Thanks, Dave.

It's not worked fine with me,Even Mypal68 or 360EE V11

hidao.org_2022-7-9_2-59-34.png.c50e0d456b0ae2adf9e33db1036a0d5c.png

hidao.org_2022-7-9_3-0-10.thumb.png.1115bc282a478f5a18b365feac578857.png

Edited by hidao

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Annoying, because I can't use it on any browser on XP now.
:angry:

Hi @Dave-H, on Windows XP you can open the site https://www.lner.co.uk/ in Otter Browser. As far as I can see, it seems to work in this QT-based browser. Tested version: Otter Browser weekly420
Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/otter-browser-weekly420/otter-browser-win32-weekly420-xp.zip/download
Latest version compatible with Windows XP: 1.0.0.3
Link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/otter-browser-1.0.03/otter-browser-win32-1.0.03-xp.zip/download

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Thank you so much for that!
I've actually had Otter Browser installed for years, and I've always kept it up to date, although I never actually use it!
It never occurred to me to even try it with the LNER site, but as you say, it works (almost)!
It's not quite right, I can't get rid of the cookie warnings for instance, but it's not the horrible mess that it is on 360Chrome.
It didn't surprise me that it had failed on Firefox 52.9 ESR, as more and more sites are starting to have problems on that, but not working on 360Chrome 13.5 was a big surprise, and quite worrying!
I guess it's a JavaScript problem, but I'm not expert enough on site coding to diagnose that.
:no: