Chrome 115 working on Windows XP 32 bit

36 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

this has me concerned

Sorry, was joking. (the drive light does flash, but it has nothing to do with malware). 

Edit: Now i think i get what people mean by 'drive spinning up' (watch the mouse pointer), just 115 being *broken* (only does this on Vista).

Edited by 66cats

4 hours ago, 66cats said:

Should i be worried? Are we being Shanghaied into exfiltrating valuable state & industrial secrets safeguarded on our XP HDDs?

Is Mypal safe, or is Feodor1 a.k.a. Feodor2 a stealthy Ukrainian operative, and his lovable coon but a masked Trojan horse in disguise?

Posting from Mypal now, and my drive light is flashing...

I hope you don't mind me replying to this.

Not sure about the industrial espionage, but stealing data from private users and later selling it to advertisers is a very well known and documented issue.

I've never used that browser. Google says that user (you're referring to) is native Russian, not Ukrainian, if it helps you. (determined by the errors he makes in English)

Could you please elaborate about the lights flashing? I was under the impression this was only Chrome related.

41 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I hope you don't mind me replying to this.

Not sure about the industrial espionage, but stealing data from private users and later selling it to advertisers is a very well known and documented issue.

I've never used that browser. Google says that user (you're referring to) is native Russian, not Ukrainian, if it helps you. (determined by the errors he makes in English)

Could you please elaborate about the lights flashing? I was under the impression this was only Chrome related.

2 hours ago, 66cats said:

Posting from Mypal now, and my drive light is flashing...

I use Mypal 68 regularly and have not noticed any unusual behaviour so far. If you want to be on the safe side, use a network sniffer to identify and analyse all incoming and outgoing connections of a browser. And it doesn't matter whether it is Mypal 68 or this Chrome 115 which is actually the topic here. albert.gif However, this strange behaviour was already observed when using certain versions of Chrome browsers. Any problems observed in terms of Mypal 68 should be then posted in a corresponding thread, of course. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

36 minutes ago, Dixel said:

stealing data from private users and later selling it to advertisers

*Hapless advertisers, who get stuck with useless data. As an XP user, I see no ads (use adblocker), and struggle to understand how anyone could profit from data gleaned from my XP box. 

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

use Mypal 68 regularly and have not noticed any unusual behaviour so far.

Sorry, was trying [and failing] to be funny, use Mypal 68 on XP as my main browser, have 0 security concerns.

Fedor lives in Kyiv (Ukraine). People speak two languages: ukrainian and russian. The russian language understandable for many countries of the former USSR (for example, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Georgia, Latvia ....). Russian language is not Russia, analogy english is not England :)
He also has mistakes in the Russian text (mostly there are not enough letters in words), or he gains the text to the smartphone, or lazy to correct :D More often writes at the github or on the russian-speaking forum http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=5894&start=3200

Sse version of the MyPal will appear soon :)

On 12/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, 66cats said:

Not sure what made me think he was Ukrainian, i'm Russian myself (moved to US a long time ago).

there's a Ukraine flag on his profile but I also doubt he's living over there in the middle of a war. :wacko:

I'm giving it i a try. Below report point by point for updates later.

1 Launching in VM: I launched fisrt on VM, monitoring connections, nohting out of the ordinary, but used to @Articfoxie's and @Humming Owl builds I see a few connections to gg sites. No news there on my end. In my first runs, I had to manually copy the entries for my firewall (probably a remaining restriction of some sort I put there when chrome was food for Conan types). I basically copied the very restrictive permissions I had given to 360chrome to chorme115). No upd, of course.

2 Launching with  @articfoxie's loader (even though he frowns upon it): I renamed the loader and its corresponding ini to 115loader or so. Unlike 360chrome, Chrome15 complains if I set --gaia-url=0.0.0.0, so I dropped it. All the other stuff remains, no apparent damage done (TBR). See attached file, some paths edited.  The apple and gecko suaos at the end are surely wrong, but do not damage yet.  Does anyone have the correct apple/gecko ones?

3 To launch 2, I use Chrome115.bat, with which I load settings and files/folders I want to remain unchanged over time, and to prevent chrome creation of spyware placeholders. Marked with selection are those folders where there are real data (the extensions I want to keep unaltered, unless I manually updated them). The rest are empty dirs and extensionless files to prevent the creation of spyware folders or files in profile. Works most o the time.

4. I'm trying to figure out how to install my extensions, a few of them. Now I see what all that talk about V2 and V3 was about. 

I hope this helps someone, and that it prompts corrections from those who know better. . Cheer!

Noname.png

115Loader.ini 115Loader.exe

Edited by dmiranda

On 11/27/2023 at 10:02 AM, Dixel said:

Argument is when both sides have valid facts, we haven't read any from you. Also, it's not "heresay", it's been confirmed by at least several members and Chrome developers, including the comments in your topic with 360Chrome. It's not only Floppy disks, it's basically any storage, HDD, USB stick, I actually read it is also DVD. The goal is not to "win". The goal would be to defeat the spying "features" coming from that dubious place. It's not only linked to XP, I can reproduce even on Win 7. Example, an external WD 8TB storage with "green" saving features sleeps, then it turns on and spins up when the browser starts. I have the same behaviour with 360Chrome and CatsXP.

I never has such things happen in my set up. In my opinion, operator failure. Don't blame the browser (that only wants to spy to telemetry and "make your browsing better") for faulty system configuration.

1 hour ago, dmiranda said:

Launching with  @articfoxie's loader (even though he frowns upon it)

The loader is "generic" and not tied to any specific build, so no worries here, lol

I actually use the same "loader" on ALL of my Chromium Forks.

I also have one "loader" that is used on ALL of my Mozilla Forks.

Well, n a clean install runs as advertized. I'm getting issues installing extensions. Nothing to do with V2-V3, I reckpn, but with the files and forlders I block. Will relax things, try to install, and then harden again. And report, later on dduring the week. Cheers!

sometimes I get to install an extensions, but dowloading the next i get Noname.png.c1a19cb310b257bfc892fbdcd3dc8f78.png

restarting the installed extension is gone, and on trying to reinstall, get the same error.  Probably a minor glitch.

Will try a clean install and add the extensions from there, later modify the settings to my taste.

On 12/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, Milkinis said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with uncertified certs....

screenshot-20.png

If true, it's not good. Did you try a different scanner? 

What Mal/EncPk-ZC virus can do?

Executable code extraction

Creates RWX memory

Reads data out of its own binary image

Network activity detected but not expressed in API logs

Mimics icon used for popular non-executable file format

How to determine Mal/EncPk-ZC?

crc32: 168FF873

md5: 6a67ce2ec0835a820e52a3bb875a286f

name: 6A67CE2EC0835A820E52A3BB875A286F.mlw

sha1: 04e4061d8d9842f6ae2187f8b6853815691dfbd3

sha256: 093b8ac431922003c71d288fa956f535ef9f4ba2a033c2dc04998b33f79201fc

sha512: 0edb694178e3c7ff9e1c1c1d185dbda008f0f185f1afd2d4badc5f04e439fcde2595cc096cf08e7bb88c35031e8a8afd463fe0056492b0ff36bc00675706a7d9

ssdeep: 12288:UFSgGPbKhiIfh/wWsnHTdUCnB4tZ0UwKWjepV:UFSgGDJO/EnHTd/nBYbhpV

type: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows

https://adwareremoval.info/mal-encpk-zc/