My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Have you considered the "Allow for Session" setting? FWIW, you'd be auto signed out once you restart your browser session...

Edit: I tried myself the "Allow for Session" setting; unfortunately, on page load I do get a

"https+++web.lloydsdirect.co.uk"

directory created inside my storage folder, however that directory isn't wiped out :no: once I restart Serpent 52 :angry: ...

That is exactly what I'm seeing too.

Under FF52 I use dom.indexedDB.enabled set to false to block indexedDB – it breaks very, very few websites which suggests indexedDB is mostly used for gratuitous purposes – but that no longer works (because the problem is supposed to be 'fixed').

48 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

I automatically delete storage on every restart.

How do you do that? When I remember I simply manually delete everything in the Serpent profile's storage/default folder. Something automatic would be better!

Ben.

3 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

How do you do that?

I use a bat that deletes existing profiles, copies my clean, vetted profiles into a ram drive, and then launches sp52 preloaded with my extensions and settings (including a fresh storage folder) from RAM. I automatically delete all trash+logs+s*** -including profiles- on logoff, restart and shutdown, as well.

Edited by dmiranda

3 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

How do you do that?

30 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

I use a bat

I also prefer a totally wiped clean base-state session-only type of profile for my Roytam browsers.

I find "loaders" more powerful than a .bat file but both are sufficient depending on what you're wanting to do.

With the "loader" route, I often have three or four loader .exe's for the same Roytam browser and can change the .exe's icon accordingly.

My NM28 has four loader .exe's all associated with their own .ini and all with their own moon logo icon.

NM28 was my default before I migrated to 360Chrome and I find myself returning to NM28 every once in a while now that I can pay my utility bills just fine now.

But it can likely never be my 100% default due to I must be able to make calls from Google Voice and that's a no-go anything non-Chrome (BNav used to work, but that was over two years ago).

The loader route is what Official Pale Moon Portable uses and it is derived from winPenPack.

53 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The loader route is what Official Pale Moon Portable uses and it is derived from winPenPack.

I will check it out, thanks. BTW, I have done the same for all browsers and XP, breaking them over and over until I learn to make them do what I want.

A thing that (internet-wise) is every day harder to achieve.

Edited by dmiranda

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

How small a screen are you talking about here? Carefully placing my cursor near one of the four image corners, I find the "context menu" is enabled, through which I can either copy the image URI,

1024*768. I can't find a different context menu on the corners. The menu on my Serpent looks different. It's plain grey with big Forward, Back, Refresh and Star items. Until recently the "View Background Image" worked. This pulls image that is linked as a fill via CSS. When I want to open in a new tab, I want the image directly. A middle-click on a thumbnail spawns a copy of the current page.

7 hours ago, roytam1 said:

so upstream may want to raise the hurdle to newer C++ standard, which may finally break my builds.

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/2262

How much of trouble would it be to use gcc or clang, I can build with gcc 13.1 and target Windows XP, maybe in some cases gcc13 could emit bad code incompatible with XP but gcc8.4 should be fine and supports C++17.

Also if they target for C++14 it is a minor addition to C++11 so it should not be too hard to port the code.

2 hours ago, RamonUn said:

How much of trouble would it be to use gcc or clang, I can build with gcc 13.1 and target Windows XP, maybe in some cases gcc13 could emit bad code incompatible with XP but gcc8.4 should be fine and supports C++17.

Also if they target for C++14 it is a minor addition to C++11 so it should not be too hard to port the code.

the problem is from my testing, UXP mingw build is very unstable.

Hi!!

How can I make the browsers totally portable?. I mean with the config and addons included in the browser folder instead of system folders? I noted after computer reboot that conf and addons were gone from NM28.

Im sorry for asking this again... (probably the question has been replied several times).

45 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

the problem is from my testing, UXP mingw build is very unstable.

Too bad, maybe this could be improved upon, not sure at this point if it would not be simpler to modify directly the VC++2019 runtime so they run on XP.

10 hours ago, j7n said:

1024*768

... Mine's 1280x800, so bigger by a small margin :P (2008 era Toshiba laptop) ...

10 hours ago, j7n said:

The menu on my Serpent looks different. It's plain grey with big Forward, Back, Refresh and Star items.

Mine looks different because I'm using a third-party complete theme (Photonic, modified to display correctly on Vista; the original targets Win7+); I'm also using an extension, Menu Icons Plus 3.2.1-signed.1-signed, which itself further alters the appearance of the context menu; complete theme + extension DO NOT interfere with the actual correct functioning of the browser's Context Menu, though...

10 hours ago, j7n said:

When I want to open in a new tab, I want the image directly

... But sites often make sure "we don't always get what we want" :angry: ...

10 hours ago, j7n said:

A middle-click on a thumbnail spawns a copy of the current page.

Please, try with a clean Serpent 52 profile ; in some minutes, I'll update this post with screengrabs from a fresh St52 profile and its behaviour on the discogs URL you linked to previously...

Later additions:

On a fresh St52 profile, I have no issue with middle-clicking the small image on the top-left and loading:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2872133-London-Starlight-Orchestra-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West/image/SW1hZ2U6NTE2NDE5OQ==

However, when I try to invoke the context menu by placing my cursor on top of the "bigger" image, I now get what you described:

PcvV3nk.png

I then switched to my "dirty" St52 profile, but this time I loaded it in "Safe Mode" (to get add-ons out of the way); first difference I noticed is that my cursor, when placed on top of the "bigger" image, now turns into a small magnifying glass with the "+" sign, something that doesn't happen in the fresh profile; right-clicking produces a Context-Menu inside which image-related options are available:

0ZWyAl6.png

So, I have something(s) modified inside my about:config settings that restores the image-related context-menu entries; but, which something(s) ??? :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But it can likely never be my 100% default due to I must be able to make calls from Google Voice and that's a no-go anything non-Chrome

Including Mypal 68?

Edit: Right, the first test I found says unsupported, though there are microphone permissions in browser's settings.

Edited by UCyborg