My Browser Builds (Part 4)

2 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Get some time to breathe. The hearing of that injunction is postponed to 21 July (yet another unforgettable date in 2019)

Getting some more time to take a breathe is always a good thing. :yes: TBH, I have actually always thought that there is no digital barrier in terms of computers and internet that cannot be overcome, by whatever means. As a European and German, I naturally have no idea what such a barrier really looks like, how it is technically realised and what the consequences of discovering a circumvention might be at your location. idee.gif Your life and well-being come first in any case, of course. :yes: 

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper foncemur.gif

PS: You are undoubtedly the one who made it possible for me to extend the life of my Windows XP computer by years. I will always be grateful to you for that. :worship: And I hope it will never end! I am definitely a Windows XP die-hard fan as you surely know. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

And I don't understand at all what this link has to do with restricting the internet and with becoming another DPRK. :dubbio:

Because internet service providers have joint liability on that injunction. Safest move for them will be simply cut down internet connections.

@roytam1 Thanks for your clarification! For me as a freedom-loving person b025.gif, the whole thing is unimaginable and extremely depressing. Maybe, a cooperation between you and @basilisk-dev really is a way to continue this great browser project in the future. I sincerely hope that things do not take a turn for the worst and that the further development of these fantastic browsers does not have to be discontinued. If I had anywhere near your skills in this area, I would make myself available in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that is not the case. smilie_denk_24.gif

Anyway! Hope dies last. bureau9.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 6/11/2023 at 10:45 PM, UCyborg said:

another way around the problem is with a user script, something like this:
<redacted for brevity>
Put the code in your favorite user script manager

Many thanks for your code! :wub: :thumbup ; I adapted it for Violentmonkey installed in St52 (can also be used in St55, I guess ;) ), here's how the "==UserScript==" header looks there:

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix <link rel="preload" ...> in MS Support site
// @version     0.1
// @author      UCyborg
// @namespace   UCyborg
// @description Fixes CSS rendering on "support.microsoft.com", on UXP-based browsers
// @homepageURL https://msfn.org/board/topic/184051-my-browser-builds-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=1246726
// @icon        https://support.microsoft.com/favicon-32x32.png
// @include     https://support.microsoft.com/*
// @run-at      document-start
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

Here it is enabled inside VM itself:

cGVu8yx.png

MS should just leave the links to CSS files in the separate tags with rel="stylesheet" (not enclosed by noscript tags like they did).

... Microsoft are currently focusing solely on their offspring browser (ChrEdge) they conceived after fornicating with their former opponent, Google :realmad: ; one (perhaps more :angry:?) MS coder authored code that was tested to work on ChrEdge (perhaps also tested in latest Fx), with no care in the world for "legacy" browser engines :( ; but it was Google that started this in the first place:

On 3/13/2023 at 12:30 AM, Mathwiz said:

So it looks like Google gets the blame after all. They gave sites a needlessly complicated way to do something simple for no benefit (unless they consider breaking older Firefox-based browsers a "benefit")

PM forum thread (server is down ATM),

... Should be back up on Wednesday (fingers crossed):

Pale Moon forum

Unfortunately, the server hosting the forum has experienced catastrophic hardware failure and is currently unavailable.
Our infrastructure provider has indicated that replacement hardware is on its way but will take a few days.

Current ETA for services being restored is Wednesday 14 June 2023.

If you need to be in touch, e.g. for discussing the upcoming point release, a temporary Discord server has been set up.
You can access this server via https://discord.gg/wgjWdjnhDE

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Our provider is taking steps to prevent this kind of situation in the future.

@roytam1 I wonder how blocking google may affect that your browsers stuff?

I do not use the goo for years, actually i block them myself everywhere i can to not get even accidentally connect to the abomination.

Yes youtybe wont work, so i am to unblock goo for testing only, аfter that to clean all from goo tracers.

14 minutes ago, feodor2 said:

@roytam1 I wonder how blocking google may affect that your browsers stuff?

I do not use the goo for years, actually i block them myself everywhere i can to not get even accidentally connect to the abomination.

Yes youtybe wont work, so i am to unblock goo for testing only, аfter that to clean all from goo tracers.

that injunction doesn't exclude from liability of transferring prohibited contents. so in worst situation ISP may just shutdown internet. (and since my web server's geolocation is also HK so people may not able to download my builds that are located in my server)

3 hours ago, feodor2 said:

I wonder how blocking google may affect that your browsers stuff?

For starters, Roy's blog,

https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

would be the first to become inaccessible from within HK, since "blogger" is a Google-provided service ;) ...

Although a pessimist by nature, I still hope/wish that things won't reach any extreme levels... If GitHub and MSFN remain accessible from within HK, then, perhaps, a move to an overseas server hosting the binaries would be all that's needed; determined people in mainland China have come up with inventive solutions able to penetrate through the GFW, however these "solutions" might be against local laws; i.e., I'm not suggesting myself Roy should break HK legislation, if/when enforced...

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Should be back up on Wednesday (fingers crossed):

... Those (few :P) of you that like to occasionally browse the Official PM Forums for info/troubleshooting related to UXP-based browsers discussed here (encompassing St52, NM28 and a few others), "their" breakage seems to persist; latest news from MC himself (via the temp Discord server): 

A small update on the outage: there have been unexpected delays on replacement parts. Our service provider is currently chasing the courier for an update on the delivery, and they have said they will be updating me the moment they know more.

So, Wednesday (today) won't be "restoration day" :unsure: ...

If members here running St52 and/or NM28 wish to be served the "current" iteration of Google Search (the one targeting latest browsers), a SSUAO is necessary; in latest NM28 with its default UA:

fHvfUh2.png

OTOH, with: 

general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

DvqwOHV.png

Fine-tuning the appearance of GS is possible via its settings (cogwheel button) ; as seen, I've opted for its dark theme ;) ; caveat: the modern GUI is more resource-hungry :whistle: ...

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I adapted it for Violentmonkey installed in St52

AFAIK, it would be possible for it to miss something if ran at document-start. Maybe it's different when dealing with HTML's head, but it's a documented fact that only after document-end (after DOMContentLoaded event is dispatched), entire page's HTML as received from the web server is surely parsed.

Put the code in your favorite user script manager and make it run on document-end (should be default).

13 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

it would be possible for it to miss something if ran at document-start. Maybe it's different when dealing with HTML's head, but it's a documented fact that only after document-end ........

Noted, and I trust your knowledge/expertise :thumbup ... Thanks again :) !