360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

ESENT has been around since Windows 2000 through Windows 11. Maybe this will help explain ESENT, and convince you that it is both not "junk" and also useful.

From https://www.minitool.com/news/esent.html:

What Is ESENT?
---------------
What is ESENT? ESENT is an embeddable transactional database engine. It was first provided with Microsoft Windows 2000 and has been available to developers since then. You can use ESENT for applications that require reliable, high-performance, and low-overhead structured or semi-structured data storage.

The ESENT engine can meet a variety of data requirements, from simple data like hash tables to data that cannot be stored in memory to more complex data (such as applications with tables, columns, and indexes).

Now, many teams at Microsoft currently rely on ESENT for data storage, such as Active Directory, Windows Desktop Search, Windows Mail, Live Mesh, and Windows Update. Besides, Microsoft Exchange uses a slightly modified version of the ESENT code to store all its mailbox data.

Thank you ... I guess since I don't use any of those things, I didn't need it. I was surprised everything worked still without it other than the firewall. For the time being, I'll keep it, but it tracks every process in the registry in several places.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Global]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process]
[[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]

You should see everything its been tracking. Yikes..

Sometimes I kinda have to wonder what some of you folks do in your spare time.  Killing operating system .dll's and calling it "privacy" or "security" - trying to hide from the law?

JUST JOKING.

But maybe, just maybe, my browsing habits are more innocent than some of us that lay asleep at night wondering what operating system .dll's are "doing".

But like I say, JUST JOKING...  Mostly...    :}

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

360Chrome did not put that .dll in your system32 folder.

Thanks cap, we know. ESENT.dll is windows telemetry . And I'm sure it's an old telemetry because it's not even active in Vista by default . No registry entries , nothing . 

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sometimes I kinda have to wonder what some of you folks do in your spare time.  Killing operating system .dll's and calling it "privacy" or "security" - trying to hide from the law?

JUST JOKING.

But maybe, just maybe, my browsing habits are more innocent than some of us that lay asleep at night wondering what operating system .dll's are "doing".

But like I say, JUST JOKING...  Mostly...    :}

You aren't a deputy in your small town , are you ?

just joking .... not

6 hours ago, bphlpt said:

ESENT has been around since Windows 2000 through Windows 11. Maybe this will help explain ESENT, and convince you that it is both not "junk" and also useful.

From https://www.minitool.com/news/esent.html:

What Is ESENT?
---------------
What is ESENT? ESENT is an embeddable transactional database engine. It was first provided with Microsoft Windows 2000 and has been available to developers since then. You can use ESENT for applications that require reliable, high-performance, and low-overhead structured or semi-structured data storage.

The ESENT engine can meet a variety of data requirements, from simple data like hash tables to data that cannot be stored in memory to more complex data (such as applications with tables, columns, and indexes).

Now, many teams at Microsoft currently rely on ESENT for data storage, such as Active Directory, Windows Desktop Search, Windows Mail, Live Mesh, and Windows Update. Besides, Microsoft Exchange uses a slightly modified version of the ESENT code to store all its mailbox data.

Never in my whole life used any of these . I don't even know what they are. Windows "update" is always blocked , but since you told us it's being used for it ... thanks for one more reason to delete it !

4 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Thank you ... I guess since I don't use any of those things, I didn't need it. I was surprised everything worked still without it other than the firewall. For the time being, I'll keep it, but it tracks every process in the registry in several places.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Global]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process]
[[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\Application\ESENT]

You should see everything its been tracking. Yikes..

Indeed it does ! BTW , windows firewall is weak , even dumb progs know how to add rules and bypass it . Comodo is good only if older versions are used . 

14 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

You aren't a deputy in your small town , are you ?

I do have a sign hanging out in my garage.  <last name> for Sheriff

But it was actually my cousin that ran for sheriff about 18 years ago.

One of my coworkers at the time "stole" it (after elections) on his way to work and gave it to me.

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Indeed it does ! BTW , windows firewall is weak , even dumb progs know how to add rules and bypass it . Comodo is good only if older versions are used . 

I'm very very happy tonight :D :D :D

No more ESENT - Gosh now I can't use all that crap I didn't need anyway and was never using and do not need any longer.

You guys are AWESOME :)

Edited by XPerceniol

4 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm very very happy tonight

Jeez , I'm so glad ! BTW , I just found some leftovers of that crapware in my winsxs folder , unlocked the files and deleted them (both) . One of them had some "performance" settings !??!  My FPS in games went higher and the PC is much faster now !!!

I've gone through my winsxs as well today and there is whole lot there from the past. I'll leave everything there until I know better. Overall things are much smoother and better now. Learning new things is hard for me, takes me 3 times as long compare others, but when I get it; I get it. I decided yesterday to follow the directions from above link.

https://www.minitool.com/news/esent.html

Which lead met to:

C:\WINDOWS\security\logs (empty)

C:\WINDOWS\security\Database (below ... look harmless, but will leave for now)

C:\WINDOWS\security\templates (not sure)

untitled_folder.JPG.f46f7ac0ff1c6cb815e80b4ea3ae29ab.JPG

I find this strange the computer is keeping track because I though I wiped this computer and did fresh install in 2018?

Edited by XPerceniol

Have you compared with chrome://gpu/ the builds of 360Chrome, and DcBrowser?...

Found some links to test FPS, frames per second etc, not sure about utility:

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests: https://www.testufo.com/

15 FPS vs. 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS (HTML5) boallen.com: https://boallen.com/fps-compare-html5.html

frames-per-second.appspot.com: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

vsynctester.com: https://www.vsynctester.com/

response-time: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

Hi @NotHereToPlayGamesAKA ArcticFoxie!

I've just decided again to see how your latest version 0f 360Chrome version 13.5 works with my system.
After spending some time on the configuration, I'm impressed, it's working very well!
No crashes or other malfunctions as yet.
One puzzling thing I've come across though is the download folder setting.
I don't want to use the default, which is D:\360Down (my XP is installed on drive D:), I want to use my normal temporary file store with is at E:\Dump Folder.
Unfortunately, when I try to use it I just get a message saying "Path is not writable. Please Choose another folder".
I am very puzzled by this, as that folder is perfectly writeable, I write to it dozens of times a day!
All my research on this just points to permissions problems, but we're talking about XP here, permissions don't apply (at least when you've got simple file sharing enabled, which I have).
Any idea why 360Chrome can't write to that folder when everything else can?
Cheers, Dave.
:)

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I don't want to use the default, which is D:\360Down (my XP is installed on drive D:), I want to use my normal temporary file store with is at E:\Dump Folder.
Unfortunately, when I try to use it I just get a message saying "Path is not writable. Please Choose another folder".
Ignoring the spelling error (it should be writeable) I am very puzzled by this, as that folder is perfectly writeable, I write to it dozens of times a day!

Interesting.  Is your E:\ directory a flash drive or a network drive?