My Browser Builds (Part 2)

8 minutes ago, delphi367 said:

Yeah, I think the Rust compiler is the big sticking point. I suspect if it weren't for that, then you could just tweak the Windows code paths and switch out the non-XP compatible APIs, because the majority of the code isn't OS-specific at all. Actually, Rust has been a big sticking point for alternative operating systems in general, because Rust only properly supports modern Windows, Linux, and macOS, and I believe ESR 52 was the last one that could be built without Rust. :/

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be easy to backport the Rust compiler to XP?

I thought it was possible, I was following a Chromium on XP project, basically got abandoned once the creator couldn't figure out how to add GDI back, but enough progress was made where the UI actually launches on Vista, but the browser engine doesn't work on Vista.

Yes, yes Roy - there was everything, everything worked and works better than this bent serpent fork55.
I will write the truth - the best versions ended in March 2018.
I have kept the old ones and doing beautifully on the internet.

c36b5694197b8893.png

11 minutes ago, kitaro1 said:

AGREED HIGHLY ON THAT !!!

My default-for-everything version of v28 is dated 2018.

Too much "feature creep" on anything newer, IMHO.

I've been watching v27 and it may dethrone my v28 eventually - but for now my default is v28 from 2018.

10 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I've been watching v27 and it may dethrone my v28 eventually - but for now my default is v28 from 2018.

All extensions on the basilisk website work. YT is good. All good.

52a7a8f85e987ca1.png

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Hi.

wich version you mean. link pls

4 hours ago, kitaro1 said:

Gee, Firefox ESR 52 was still getting security updates in those days, and Pale Moon 27 was still supported (at least on Vista). Pale Moon 28 and Basilisk didn’t exist yet. Is this really the consensus?

Notice: since upstream merged a big branch, it will take more time than usual to get changes landing in my tree. as a result today's builds may or may not be done.

for v27(g3) tree, since AF upstream broke the build, g3 based builds may not be available this week if I can't fix it.

for boc, since upstream vanished its repo, I'm now thinking of building icedove-uxp instead.

Edited by roytam1

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

Notice: since upstream merged a big branch, it will take more time than usual to get changes landing in my tree. as a result today's builds may or may not be done.

for v27(g3) tree, since upstream broke the build, g3 based builds are not available this week.

for boc, since upstream vanished its repo, I'm now thinking of building icedove-uxp instead.

OK
Keep us updated.

roytam1 said:
for v27(g3) tree, since upstream broke the build, g3 based builds are not available this week.

Whoa, sounds like not just 1, but 3 major upstream disasters. Don't get why MT is out for revenge again without any obvious trigger so suddenly - just because, as he mentioned, he doesn't like the new branding "BNavigator", saying it lacks imagination?!
And he even broke NM27 (=KG76) too? Frankly I'd have more trust in new builds that just have "about:permissions" fixed, before merging tons more of (possibly questionable?) upstream updates :dubbio:
Edited by siria

On 8/23/2020 at 4:48 PM, TechnoRelic said:

Ideally though, I would like the BNAVIGATOR Browser to 'pop open' that dialog where it ASKS you if you want to SET it as the DEFAULT Browser

Try https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/defaultbrowser.htm

5 hours ago, siria said:

he doesn't like the new branding "BNavigator", saying it lacks imagination?!

While I don't like the tone he took here at all and think there's no excuse for it, I kinda feel like I have to point out... he probably views himself as an artist. I had an artist lady named Lambda or something (not here, somewhere else) once get really angry at me because I just changed the colors on a logo she provided as a logo candidate for my website rather than asking her to do it. I thought I was just saving her some hassle, but she took it as an insult to her work and started talking about me behind my back and giving me the silent treatment. That's how I learned that artists can be very possessive of their work and not like others changing it without permission or anything they perceive to be a mockery of it.

The original browser is named Borealis Navigator, so the new branding being "BNavigator," is, well... it's like saying "PMoon," "SMonkey," or "WFox," isn't it? Combine that with the fact that it's in perpetual beta, he isn't even providing builds of Borealis himself yet, and it's easy to see how, as an artist, he might feel like someone took an unfinished painting of his and did something with it that made him uncomfortable. Like how I made that lady uncomfortable when I modified the color scheme of a logo candidate she gave me, thinking I was saving her some work. In fairness to you though, I think the official branding directories probably should have been closed source (or a least in a separate repository to the open source portions of the program) to begin with if that was the way he felt about it.

I mean, I get that to a lot of people this is just code, and the whole spirit of open source means sharing and decentralization, but if someone views a part of that as their own artwork and they take it seriously in that regard, well... I can see how they might feel mocked or bothered by such a name, and I can also see how they might feel a bit like the way an artist might feel upon seeing a cheap, slightly modified reproduction of an unfinished painting of theirs that somehow leaked out becoming semi-popular. At the same time, I can understand how using a name that's similar like that would feel like a way of honoring the original or the artist to the person who did it, and that that person might feel confused as to why the artist isn't flattered by it.

But yeah, that's just my two cents on the subject of why people might not like that, and why the creativity and branding aspect of it might be so important to someone.