My Browser Builds (Part 2)

57 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Wasn't there already a thread with user suggestions on what to rebrand the browser? I suppose it's time to get this a yet another glance.

Indeed

VistaLover said:

He pretty much (as expected) sides by M.A.T. because he was undeservedly banned from MSFN without notice, as being "a long-standing member with a good track record"

Undeservedly - har har... King of flaming rather. Long-standing member? May be.
But the irony is the "track record" is true acc. statistics:
who else here has a likes/postings ratio of even close to 1.5?? (115 Likes / 75 posts)
Which also gives him an "excellent" reputation on the profile. Everyone who hasn't actually read his old postings WILL be convinced he's one of the most liked members here, and not believe anyone who dares to claim otherwise. Every time I saw this likes-ratio I couldn't help but being reminded of Einstein too, this is SO much how today's society works. Since no dis-likes are allowed of course, that would hurt the feelings of such poor, highly sensible attackers too much. Who surely have only turned evil because they had a very rough childhood etc., or people confuse aggressive narcissists and dangerous psychos with mostly nice Aspergers who do NOT enjoy harming others, etc., but I digress ;P

Anyway, bans are rarely forever, and he's an important coder, am sure he'll be back again some day. Provided he wants to. At least he's very frank about his mindset. (Contrary to most other similar people, passing as Saints doing just incredibly "dumb" things unintentionally. All the time.)

The good thing for me personally, have learned from this addons-issue two technical tricks:

1) those pesky CLOUDFLARE errors 502 etc. do NOT necessarily mean any REAL server probs!!
It's possible, but just as well they can be created intentionally by website authors, even simply based on useragents or other settings. Actually this was the second such case in a week.

2) Important page content or even complete pages may also be hidden inside <template> tags, just like the popular SVG-wrapping trick. Users getting to see only an empty page, or mostly empty. Funny thing is, my old browser doesn't even know this tag yet, so renders it visible anyway. Normally. But awhile back had the brilliant idea to add a few "modern" tags to its global html.css, such as <mark> (for yellow background), but also <template> and <datalist>. The last two are set to "display:none" in modern browsers, so after a bit hesitation I just copied that too. Oops. Now old JS-engine didn't make the addons-page appear either. Still empty.
=> Now my user css file contains this:
template {display: block !important;}
HA: page appeared (yesterday), no javascript needed :cool:
(if users do have javascript enabled, on a younger browser, I suppose they may get double-content this way, but no idea)

-----
General trick:
Anyone else who must browse without JS, and running into empty pages all the time? Usually killing styles helps, but not always. My LONG version of the above css:

svg[style*="display: none"], svg[style*="visibility: hidden"], template, datalist{
display: block !important;
visibility: visible !important;
position: relative !important;
width: auto !important;
height: auto !important;
pointer-events: auto !important;
border: 4px dashed gray !important;
}

Ideally defined for certain domains only, if wrapped into @-moz-document.... rules.
Personally have it as global rule, but this only makes sense if javascript is usually OFF.
And be aware of possible false positives, of course this can just as well mess the look of some pages.
Can be added in userContent.css or adblock.css
Edited by siria

Due to network issues (MSFN is too slow for me) my post is duplicated, anyone who has the deletion permission please remove this post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to install this addon on Serpent 52:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/versions/

It states "Works with firefox 48.0 and later", and it installs to firefox52. But it cannot be installed on Serpent 52. Could I modify some file to make it install?

Edited by luweitest
ask for deletion of duplicate

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Though he doesn't acknowledge he had anything to do with their removal, Moonchild's account of things:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=198040#p198040

TL;DR

1. He pretty much (as expected) justifies M.A.T. because he was undeservedly banned from MSFN without notice, as being "a long-standing member with a good track record" (:lol:)
2. Once again, fork users are being called "so selfish"...
The whole affair boils down to two things, basically:
3. MONEY :} ; the addons infra is being maintained fiscally out of M.A.T.'s own pocket; supposedly, "freeloaders" such as the fork-users put a significant extra burden towards bandwidth consumption/server costs... :dubbio:
Edit: Fork users, when using the default Search Engine, DDG, also contribute towards the official project by Moonchild, do they not? :dubbio:
4. Branding (and all related stuff discussed extensively elsewhere in these forums).

NB: The term "out of spite" is never mentioned :angry: ...

Ah yes, as usual it's always someone else's fault when Tobin goes on a rampage. And I love how MC tries to make it sound like there's some kind of "opening" for everyone to work together.. - what a load of rubbish. Anyone but a fool or the willfully ignorant can see the way they have behaved toward anything they don't approve of or consider to be beneath them. With them it's more like "conform and obey, or die." Who would want to "work with" such an arrogant, self important bunch of jerks? :puke:

1 hour ago, siria said:

...this is SO much how today's society works. Since no dis-likes are allowed of course, that would hurt the feelings of such poor, highly sensible attackers too much. Who surely have only turned evil because they had a very rough childhood etc....

Love this. Yes, a dislike button would be a nice wake up call for a lot of people in today's society, methinks. :angel

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Are you sure this is FULLY de-obfuscated? :whistle: :P

function displayContent() {
    if (X("0x3", "^Mn5") in navigator) {
        uaPrefix = navigator[X("0x10", "wOY$")] + "/5.0 (" + navigator[X("0x5", "&j9b")] + ";";
        if (!navigator["userAgent"][X("0xf", "wkB!")](uaPrefix)) return;
        if (navigator[X("0x4", "G9*&")] && (navigator["oscpu"][X("0x8", "^Mn5")](X("0x9", "Puzb")) || navigator["oscpu"][X("0xe", "73(^")](X("0x11", "e6DU")) || navigator[X("0x0", "DLe0")][X("0x2", "fCh&")](X("0x6", "pseB")) || navigator["oscpu"][X("0xb", "k4n@")](X("0xc", "GBIt")))) return null
    }
    var ig = document["getElementById"](X("0x1",
        "6osW"))[X("0x7", "rMvY")][X("0x13", "czCY")](!![]);
    document[X("0x12", "&iPz")]["appendChild"](ig);
    document[X("0xa", "Y8yJ")]["id"] = X("0xd", "wOY$")
}

No, I was afraid of that (don't know anything about javascript in fact). :(

I went to https://lelinhtinh.github.io/de4js/ to "de-obfuscate".

Do you happen to know a better alternative?

6 hours ago, luweitest said:

I'd like to install this addon on Serpent 52:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/versions/

It states "Works with firefox 48.0 and later", and it installs to firefox52. But it cannot be installed on Serpent 52. Could I modify some file to make it install?

No WebExtensions work with Pale Moon. It was functioning in the early Basilisk days, but cut out. It's one of the main reasons I don't use Pale Moon.

What I think should really happen is for Roytam1 to attempt to backport a slightly more modern browser, like Waterfox Classic. It's only 4 versions away from 52, so I doubt there are any massive changes that can't be fixed.

8 hours ago, siria said:

Anyway, bans are rarely forever...

I wouldn't go that far.

I am banned from the Pale Moon Forum because I made the innocent mistake of screen-capping a Roy Tam build to illustrate an about:config setting I was discussing.  That was close to two years ago and I'm still banned.  He got hostile with me so I got "defensive" - then I was banned  --  permanently.

I don't mind if he's allowed back at MSFN.

BUT it is my sincere view that he can NOT be allowed to post in threads DEDICATED to XP !!!

I run XP for a REASON.  I own legit copies of 98, 98SE, 2000, ME, NT, XP, 2003, 7 Pro, 7 Enterprise, 10 Anniversary, and 10 LTSB.

But I run XP for a REASON.

I consider myself a "tweaker" and an "optimiser".

I can do tasks in XP at 45-degrees Celsius that 7 and 10 runs up the CPU to over 80 and at 2 to 3 times the RAM.

Again, I run XP for a REASON.

And I am SOOO very thankful that we have forums DEDICATED to XP.

6 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I doubt there are any massive changes that can't be fixed.

actually it does, there are changes that preventing it to work in XP:

1. mozilla removes large chunks of code for XP while adding non-XP compatible APIs usage

2. rust compiler can't produce XP compatible code

7 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

1. mozilla removes large chunks of code for XP while adding non-XP compatible APIs usage

What is Serpant55 then? Are the changes between 55 and 56 that massive, or is the 55 meaningless?

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

What is Serpant55 then? Are the changes between 55 and 56 that massive, or is the 55 meaningless?

Serpant55 is actually kind-of Firefox 53/54-ish thingy.

upstream ported some features from Firefox 55 alpha and tell people that's 55-based.

7 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Serpant55 is actually kind-of Firefox 53/54-ish thingy.

upstream ported some features from Firefox 55 alpha and tell people that's 55-based.

Maybe you could reset the Serpant 55 development, and try porting over the Waterfox Classic features, security updates, and try making like a 54 with all the 56 features. Would give people an incentive to use it over MyPal

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Yeah, I think the Rust compiler is the big sticking point. I suspect if it weren't for that, then you could just tweak the Windows code paths and switch out the non-XP compatible APIs, because the majority of the code isn't OS-specific at all. Actually, Rust has been a big sticking point for alternative operating systems in general, because Rust only properly supports modern Windows, Linux, and macOS, and I believe ESR 52 was the last one that could be built without Rust. :/

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be easy to backport the Rust compiler to XP?

Edited by delphi367