Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

There could be a situation that some components of the software don't load on WinXP while it appears to install and even start. Last version of SMPlayer for XP is 17.3; later versions have a new MPV module. Without a video codec, a player does nothing. IrfanView past 4.53 has a couple incompatible DLLs, one of them WebP. XnView also has a WebP dll. Maybe add a mark on your list for partially working titles.

I've read back in the thread a reference about something being officially supported. Probably it is more important that the program works than if somebody on its developer's forum will answer questions about it ("support"). The very latest versions are usually not the best on XP... ugly flat design, require too much memory, slow.

The last version of iTunes for Windows to support XP was of course 12.1.3, released in September 2015. Versions older than 12.6.5 have been unable to sign in since October 2019, apparently because the iTunes Store now requires secure TLS 1.2 connections. If anyone is interested, a workaround has just been posted in the Windows Vista forum that might also work for XP:

A warning to those who notice that Crisis in the Kremlin (2017) is listed as XP x64 compatible (https://store.steampowered.com/app/599750/Crisis_in_the_Kremlin/).

Well, the latest version of the game relies on a newer version of the unity engine that relies on many Vista+ API functions and components. And it even fails on Vista too!

Earlier versions may work, but they were unpolished (poorer English and some unfinished parts) and predate the DLC(s).

On the other hand, the game News Tycoon (https://store.steampowered.com/app/581220/News_Tycoon/) lists Windows 7 as a minimum OS but runs on XP x64 (this is no endorsement though, as it's a real pig regardless of OS). It also runs the loading animation on Windows 2000 before crashing, and probably the same on XP x86.

Edited by win32

• 2 weeks later...

Question to all Windows XP users:

As the current wave of dropping XP/Vista support ongoing (qbittorrent so on), do you think it'll gone of the same way as Windows 98 (hardcore/hobby only, no serious use) besides browsing and basic computer usage?

I'm sure that there will always be Windows XP "enthusiasts", as there still are for Windows 9x (perhaps not for Windows ME so much! :D)
I think a lot of people, myself included, just still like the XP user interface a lot more than later versions of Windows.
The locked down file and registry security on later versions of Windows is an annoyance for a lot of power users as well I'm sure, the hoops you have to jump through sometimes just to get into some Explorer folders for instance. All very worthy and understandable by Microsoft I'm sure to try to protect non-technical users from messing up their systems, but a great source of annoyance for many!
Welcome to MSFN BTW! :hello:
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, surrodox2001 said:

As the current wave of dropping XP/Vista support ongoing (qbittorrent so on), do you think it'll gone of the same way as Windows 98 (hardcore/hobby only, no serious use) besides browsing and basic computer usage?

I don't think so. We still have high-quality web browsers being produced and still have vast virtualization/emulation opportunities that 9x never had, to run certain applications that won't suffer much of a performance hit. Whilst there are numerous games and other hardware-accelerated software that have issues on Vista and above, which would make XP x64 the ideal OS for such applications, since it runs nearly x86 games as well as XP x86 plus a few x64 native games.

I know that one game of mine, Sid Meier's Railroads, which I've been playing since before there was a Vista, needs a couple hex edits to not crash every 3 minutes on NT6 systems. But what still bothers me about playing it in Vista is that the delay to open some screens is about five seconds, when it's instant on 2000/XP. So I try to get as many games as possible on NT5 and realize that virtualization on top of a newer OS is not an option.

1 hour ago, surrodox2001 said:

Question to all Windows XP users:

On the very long run, yes, but we're talking about years...

I gotta say though that XP is suffering the lack of support for many things by now and although many things still work for Professional Usage (Avisynth+, x262/x264/x265, ffmpeg, etc) some other don't (recent version of Visual Studio, Photoshop, Premier, AVID Media Composer, Davinci Resolve, Blender, AVID ProTools, Cubase, etc) making it impossible to be used for professional stuff anymore... Even Avisynth+ - which is still supported as a frameserver along with many filters - suffers a pretty bad thing: it doesn't have any updated indexers and without an indexer you cannot create an uncompressed A/V stream to be used inside a frameserver, so...

And sure there are workarounds like using ffmpeg to make a lossless mezzanine file with HuffYUV or FFV1 etc but still it's far from being an ideal workflow...

Besides, some other lossless codecs like UTVideo dropped XP support entirely along with Windows 7 support, so it's a no go as well.

Things are different for a non-professional use of XP, like browsing (we do have updated browsers), watching videos (we do have updated video players like PotPlayer), listening to audio files (PotPlayer again to name one or Foobar 2000 etc), chatting with our friends and relatives (there's Miranda which supports Skype, Facebook, Discord, IRC and other platform, there's Telegram which still works although new version don't work, there's TeamSpeak which works if you use an old version and you connect to an old server and so on). Of course, no one is stopping you from using old version of very well-known programs, however the problem is that bugs will never be fixed and of course nothing new will be supported. For instance, a friend of mine bought the Sony A7III which shoots pictures in 6K HLG HDR. I wanted to edit the raw footages with Photoshop CS4, however I couldn't because it didn't support that camera and the plugin released by Sony didn't work with older version of Photoshop. I couldn't even see them 'cause although Irfan View managed to display them, Windows XP has NO FLIPPING CLUE about what a color curve other than the Linear BT601 and Linear BT709 is, therefore it was totally ignoring both the colormatrix BT2020 and the color curve HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), thus displaying a gray-ish image. One more example? Well, a friend of mine bought a BlackMagic Cinema Pocket Camera and I wanted to see the videos on my computer, but sadly .braw files can be decoded by the BlackMagic Player only (no MPV, no Media Player Classic, no PotPlayer, no VLC etc) but of course it didn't work on XP as I couldn't install it. Of course the guys from BlackMagic also released an .msi with the codec so that you can use whatever player you like as long as it uses DirectShowSource (like MPC-HC), but again I couldn't install it because it didn't support XP...

Long story short: I do like XP, it's something that really matters to me, but it's just a VM on my computer now... I also have a VM with Windows 98SE which is constantly closed and I turn it on once in a while when it's its "birthday", I look at it, I remember the good old days and then I turn it off again. As to XP I do use it, but only as my non-work-related OS. You know, I use it to check Facebook, to go to Doom9, MSFN, to chat with my friends, to listen to music and to help the Avisynth community, but that's pretty much it. For everything else, I have Windows 10 which I use for stuff like Visual Studio, Eclipse, MATLAB and other stuff. As to the main OS which handles the VMs, I'm using Fedora (which is Linux, namely the distro used by Linus Torvald himself and the one that it's a "beta" of the RHEL used by many companies) and I'm quite happy about it. Sure, it's not XP, but at least it's not Windows 10...

As a side note, for everyone holding their breaths for One Core API and the modified kernel, just... don't... Sure, the development is going on, we're making progress and it indeed adds some functions/kernel calls that didn't exist on XP before and you can download it, install it and use it even now like I've been doing for quite some time, but if you think that it's going to be a miracle that makes everything run for years to come, including drivers etc... don't... In the foreseeable future, I think .NET Framework 5 will be one of the things that will kill XP and Windows 7.

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

On the very long run, yes, but we're talking about years...

I gotta say though that XP is suffering the lack of support for many things by now and although many things still work for Professional Usage (Avisynth+, x262/x264/x265, ffmpeg, etc) some other don't (recent version of Visual Studio, Photoshop, Premier, AVID Media Composer, Davinci Resolve, Blender, AVID ProTools, Cubase, etc) making it impossible to be used for professional stuff anymore... Even Avisynth+ - which is still supported as a frameserver along with many filters - suffers a pretty bad thing: it doesn't have any updated indexers and without an indexer you cannot create an uncompressed A/V stream to be used inside a frameserver, so...

And sure there are workarounds like using ffmpeg to make a lossless mezzanine file with HuffYUV or FFV1 etc but still it's far from being an ideal workflow...

Besides, some other lossless codecs like UTVideo dropped XP support entirely along with Windows 7 support, so it's a no go as well.

Things are different for a non-professional use of XP, like browsing (we do have updated browsers), watching videos (we do have updated video players like PotPlayer), listening to audio files (PotPlayer again to name one or Foobar 2000 etc), chatting with our friends and relatives (there's Miranda which supports Skype, Facebook, Discord, IRC and other platform, there's Telegram which still works although new version don't work, there's TeamSpeak which works if you use an old version and you connect to an old server and so on). Of course, no one is stopping you from using old version of very well-known programs, however the problem is that bugs will never be fixed and of course nothing new will be supported. For instance, a friend of mine bought the Sony A7III which shoots pictures in 6K HLG HDR. I wanted to edit the raw footages with Photoshop CS4, however I couldn't because it didn't support that camera and the plugin released by Sony didn't work with older version of Photoshop. I couldn't even see them 'cause although Irfan View managed to display them, Windows XP has NO FLIPPING CLUE about what a color curve other than the Linear BT601 and Linear BT709 is, therefore it was totally ignoring both the colormatrix BT2020 and the color curve HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), thus displaying a gray-ish image. One more example? Well, a friend of mine bought a BlackMagic Cinema Pocket Camera and I wanted to see the videos on my computer, but sadly .braw files can be decoded by the BlackMagic Player only (no MPV, no Media Player Classic, no PotPlayer, no VLC etc) but of course it didn't work on XP as I couldn't install it. Of course the guys from BlackMagic also released an .msi with the codec so that you can use whatever player you like as long as it uses DirectShowSource (like MPC-HC), but again I couldn't install it because it didn't support XP...

Long story short: I do like XP, it's something that really matters to me, but it's just a VM on my computer now... I also have a VM with Windows 98SE which is constantly closed and I turn it on once in a while when it's its "birthday", I look at it, I remember the good old days and then I turn it off again. As to XP I do use it, but only as my non-work-related OS. You know, I use it to check Facebook, to go to Doom9, MSFN, to chat with my friends, to listen to music and to help the Avisynth community, but that's pretty much it. For everything else, I have Windows 10 which I use for stuff like Visual Studio, Eclipse, MATLAB and other stuff. As to the main OS which handles the VMs, I'm using Fedora (which is Linux, namely the distro used by Linus Torvald himself and the one that it's a "beta" of the RHEL used by many companies) and I'm quite happy about it. Sure, it's not XP, but at least it's not Windows 10...

As a side note, for everyone holding their breaths for One Core API and the modified kernel, just... don't... Sure, the development is going on, we're making progress and it indeed adds some functions/kernel calls that didn't exist on XP before and you can download it, install it and use it even now like I've been doing for quite some time, but if you think that it's going to be a miracle that makes everything run for years to come, including drivers etc... don't... In the foreseeable future, I think .NET Framework 5 will be one of the things that will kill XP and Windows 7.

Some great insights here about the future of Windows XP. Thanks for your post.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

The alpha version of Maxthon 6 has been released, made on Chromium 76, does not work on XP. When you run the installer or the unpacked program, it does not show any messages or errors. Here is a link for those who want to try: https://dl.maxthon.cn/mx6/mx6.0.0.1000_alpha.exe

That's saddening to hear :( The last build of Maxthon was based off Chromium 69. It's a disappointment they didn't go further...

28 minutes ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

That's saddening to hear :( The last build of Maxthon was based off Chromium 69. It's a disappointment they didn't go further...

Version 5 upgrade is not finished, so they can update the engine. Version 6 is still the early alpha version, so version 5 will still support for some time.