Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

There were two Telegram plugins for Pidgin 2.13. An old one and a new one. The old one runs on XP, but no longer connects (it worked before). The new one (based on official library) doesn't run on XP (but maybe with One Core API?)

New users have 64 bit IDs, they will not work with old clients. Telegram uses a huge number of libraries, the new Qt5. All this is impossible to compile for XP. The last hope is the One Core API.

Same problem on old 32 bit Linux. The only thing left is the web version. There are two types: web.telegram.org/k and web.telegram.org/z

Maybe Miranda developers will make a plugin.

Edited by artenox

I heard information that the latest version of Telegram can be used with the One Core API on XP. But Telegram forbids dll's in its own folder, so they must be in the PATH. But kernel32.dll is always loaded from system32.

In general, if you install all One Core API libraries on the system, Telegram will start. However, I don't recommend doing this. These libraries replace the system libraries. The system behavior changes, Windows language becomes partly English. It is necessary to install in a certain order. And some installer hangs on me (I checked it in virtual machine).

Thx for explanation with IDs change. I give not much chance that someone will make a working plugin. With One Core API would be a way. How is it possible to install One Core API beside instead replacing system files? I didn't test last version yet but older one had setup that just installed and replaced system files. I would prefer some opt-in like possible in kernelex to enable API extension only for explicitly configured apps instead for all.

9 hours ago, artenox said:

The only thing left is the web version. There are two types:
web.telegram.org/k and
web.telegram.org/z

I tried loading those two URIs in Serpent 52.9.0 (32-bit); no success (blank tab) :realmad: :

web.telegram.org/k =>

ReferenceError: customElements is not defined

Also, beware of that URI, as it serves a "CryptoWorker" script...

web.telegram.org/z =>

SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression

:angry: :(

On 11/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, VistaLover said:

I tried loading those two URIs in Serpent 52.9.0 (32-bit); no success (blank tab) :realmad: :

web.telegram.org/k =>

web.telegram.org/z =>

I get the white screen on MyPal, too. I haven't installed 360chrome on this new machine to see if it works there, but I'd guess it might (edit: got the new ArcticFoxie chrome and it works there). You can still use the "webogram" web version on Github that's linked by Telegram on their Apps page, but the features are more limited (no secret chats, for example).

Edited by beansmuggler

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I tried loading those two URIs in Serpent 52.9.0 (32-bit); no success (blank tab):
web.telegram.org/k =>

Try installing the palefill extension https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases (direct link)

OR enable dom.webcomponents.enabled (or dom.webcomponents.customelements.enabled) option in about:config. YouTube may break, however, but you can do it in a separate browser.

Edited by artenox

23 hours ago, VistaLover said:

web.telegram.org/k =>

web.telegram.org/z =>

https://web.telegram.org/?legacy=1

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, UCyborg said:

PotPlayer may no longer be updated to support XP (their download page still says it's also for XP!), but Extension\Media\PlayParse\MediaPlayParse - YouTube.as file is usable with the older XP compatible version and may be extracted from the installer using 7-Zip. The old parser of early 2021 is unable to stomach YouTube of 2022 as expected.

@UCyborg! Thanks for this tip! Works absolutely great! upp.gif I extracted this file from the most recent release which unfortunately is no longer XP-compatible and copied it into the appropriate folder of my installation. Now, YouTube works much better than before. Thanks again! :)

10 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

does avast still fully function on xp or at least partly? I'm still looking for a good antivirus and am I'm willing to try other options if they work better 

I recommend reading this topic:

• 1 month later...

I see it's been a while since anyone has posted here! Writing this from Server 2003 x64, and having done a lot of testing with older and more modern versions of MAME (for anyone interested in that emulator), here is what I've found.

I was not able to get an official 64-bit version newer than 0.204 working in XP x64 or Server 2003 x64...and it seems that based on at least one other source, I'm not alone:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/fbz7db/compiled_mame_0217_or_later_that_runs_in_windows/

However, I can confirm that all official 32-bit versions up to and including 0.207 do work fine in all versions of XP (SP2 minimum). Starting with 0.208, the compiler was upgraded from GCC 7 to GCC 8, which broke XP compatibility altogether.
https://old.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/b62rjt/mame_0208/

I am not sure what happened with version 0.205 that broke 64-bit binary compatibility with XP; reviewing the release notes doesn't seem to give much of an answer.

So to sum it up:
0.204 is the final official version of MAME with working 32/64-bit binaries in XP x86 (SP2 minimum) AND XP x64 (which ends at SP2).
0.207 is the final official version of MAME with a working 32-bit binary in all versions of XP (SP2 minimum).

This means that to take full advantage of XP x64's true 64-bit capabilities, you cannot go any higher than 0.204 officially.  While it is possible to go up to 0.207 officially on all versions of XP (SP2 minimum), only the 32-bit binary is universally compatible, and only x86 XP will be able to take full advantage of it.
Unofficially, there are efforts being made to this day to restore and maintain XP compatibility through custom builds, which can easily be found at progetto-SNAPS among other sites. However, your mileage will vary. Unless there is a game that was added more recently that you are genuinely curious about, I'd stick with 0.204--even by today's standards, it is a great/reliable version of MAME.

Hope this helps someone!

On 10/31/2022 at 5:59 AM, MilkChan said:

game (Left 4 Dead 2) Who keeps it?
December 10, 2021 (2.2.2.2) I tested a long time ago a Windows XP compatible version before they updated with this.

spacer.png

I've tried playing around with my game again.
I also downloaded my game from the internet because it has the latest update from Steam.
I have decided to keep a file named
steam_api.dll Windows XP compatible file, I tried that file with the latest update(November 19, 2022 2.2.2.6) of the game.

Because I saw no one experimenting with it.

dated file 21 december 2020

Get the game back to work in Windows XP.
because of my language display in the game
It's been a problem since Windows Vista because developers never cared.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Posting from Vista x64, but have tested in XP x64 (and what I'm writing applies to that OS--I didn't get around to sharing my findings until now). Wanted to offer an update on the MAME compatibility situation.

(On a quick side note, I've found that Vista is the last version that still 'feels' like XP [meaning you can customize many things in the manner you could in XP], but has the benefit of a more powerful kernel, though only a few programs truly use the extra power of the Vista kernel properly. Depending on your tastes it's a good way to get the best of both worlds, to still have something that truly does feel like XP but is more capable under the hood. As for me, I'm going to go back to XP, because it still works fine for my needs.)

What I mentioned before still applies (0.204 is the last 'universally compatible' official version of MAME, meaning the 32/64-bit binaries will work in XP [SP2 minimum], and 0.207 is the last official version with a 32-bit binary compatible with XP SP2+).

However, I have done a little more testing with the unofficial MAMEUI versions that were meant to restore XP compatibility (these can be easily found on progetto-SNAPS), and made what I thought was a very interesting finding.
It turns out that up to 0.208, the 64-bit MAMEUI binaries are still supported under XP x64. I'm not sure what happened with 0.209, but for some reason 64-bit binary compatibility was broken with that version.
As of this current time, the latest 32-bit MAMEUI (version 0.251 at this time) still works in XP x86/x64 (SP2 minimum).

So to sum it up quickly:
0.204 is the last 'universally compatible' official MAME version with x86 & x64 binaries working in XP (SP2 minimum).
0.207 is the last official MAME version with an x86 binary working in XP SP2+.
0.208 is the last unofficial MAMEUI version with an x64 binary working in XP x64 SP2.

As always, I hope this helps someone!

Edited by cmccaff1