Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. No New Threads Can Be Created. Help!!!

Sorry for downtime. There was some serious issues with server and database crashed badly.
  3. Yesterday
  4. I ran the debug version when RS2 was released and found that both the watermarks and having to constantly minimize the debug window to be really annoying after a while (I even wrote an AHK script to cover the watermarks and minimize the debug window to another desktop). IMHO, RS3 doesn't offer enough compelling reasons to upgrade that would outweigh the watermark/debug annoyances. So, I've chosen to wait this time around... So, it might even be worth waiting for RS4, depending on when BigMuscle finally finishes!
  5. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I suggest taking a look at my tweak thread, i've got an ongoing project, removing as much of the metro / modern / onecore stuff as possible without breaking the os, so far it's working great, got it all working in a virtual machine atm, all devices detected and working. zero system apps, zero apps, alternatives for display settings, dpi settings, personalization and other settings, security essentials / clamwin instead of modern defender and so on. using taskbar thumbnails (resized) to close open programs / folders as you get an X on them + right click menu on thumbnails for close as well. free launch bar for easier enabling of quick launch toolbar, oldnewexplorer, a 3rd party start menu, classic openwith, old task manager, old paint, old calc, old wordpad, startupcpl (for keeping track of autoruns), volume2 (to replace modern volume tray, osd still work via kb), tclock (to replace modern clock/calendar), toshiba bluetooth stack (because of no settings app, windows stack still installed, can add devices via devices and printers, but who knows how long we'll have that for, devices flow is used for modern bluetooth pairing but not for classic bluetooth pairing)
  6. SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR FEBRUARY 17/18, 2018: Fixed link (courtesy of MSFN member sdfox7) for last version of Skype for Windows Vista (v.7.36.0.150). Updated information about AVG Free Antivirus and AVG Internet Security: the programs do not support Windows Vista Starter Edition. Updated information about Gyazo: the application now officially requires Windows 7 or later, but unofficially works with Vista, however the Gyazo GIF component does not work in Vista. Updated information about ScreenToGif: the application now officially requires Windows 7 or later, but unofficially works with Vista. Added new (ONG) subsection: "Software Development." Added Java Development Kit 9 and Java SE Runtime Environment 9 to (ONG) "Software Development" section. Note: the applications officially require Windows 7 or newer, but continue to (unofficially) work in Vista. Added new (ONG) subsection: "BitTorrent Clients." Added BitComet, BitTorrent, qBittorrent, Transmission, uTorrent, and Vuze to (ONG) "BitTorrent Clients" section. Added BitComet to (ONG) "FTP Clients" section. Updated Open Live Writer to (UNS) status, as the application now requires Windows 7 or later but unofficially works on Vista. Rearranged some (ONG) subsections to be better sorted by relevance.
  7. Those of you who are using New Moon 27.8.0a1 with a language pack from JustOff's github repo, you are warned that the currently latest available (27.8.0_RC1) there will be broken if you install latest compile (git-20180218-3cf6a70ed) offered by roytam1; this is because the quoted commit changed localization strings (browser.dtd) and these changes (not present in 27.8.0_RC1) will break the main browser GUI... The way to update is: 1. Start your current version of New Moon 2. Via addons manager, disable your language pack and then restart the browser. 3. Once in the en-US interface, exit the browser. 4. Overwrite existing app files with the new ones inside the updated 7z package. If you don't know how to update yourself v27.8.0_RC1 of the LP (so as to contain the new changes), you should use the English GUI for a few days and keep an eye periodically on the repo, until an updated LP (v27.8.0_RC2?) makes it there...
  8. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I'm 110% with you cc333. Windows 10 is simply too much of a moving target, and Microsoft doing all kinds of things - like scheduling jobs that re-enable disabled services, that schedule other jobs, etc. - is just too intrusive. They want control, and they will apparently stop at nothing to get it. It's not that they're doing a bad job technically; Win 10 doesn't crash a whole lot. It's just that their policies are, well, wrong. Of all the things I've craved from my computer operating system, ceding control to someone else - someone who has demonstrated incompetence and indifference to my needs - has never entered my thoughts! Windows, you're breaking my heart! You're going down a path I cannot follow! -Noel
  9. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

My security picture hasn't really changed fundamentally with any of the recent vulnerability discoveries... Basically if you don't download and run executables blithely, and you put some effort into keeping your browser from running badware blithely, your computer is fairly well protected from threats from without. I've never been under the impression that a computer can be protected from within. That's why I don't bother with UAC - it's just silly. I think of it as guarding the borders carefully, then making things efficient inside the moat. It leads to a good computing experience. It's just common sense. While it's initially alarming that browsers could potentially run Javascript that could take advantage of Spectre and Meltdown, blacklisting sites, disallowing ads, etc. are as effective as they are for more traditional exploits. There is of course always the possibility any of us could be one of the early visitors of some web site that's been compromised with a zero-day exploit, but blocking things from running in iframes and keeping browsers up to date helps with that. And anyway, it's the things that no one knows about (yet) that are the real threats. There is an advantage to being an "odd man out" w/regard to what OS you're running, or what patch level you're on, etc. is that the cutting edge exploit developers aren't targeting you because you're not among the crowd. Microsoft seems to make a fair number of new vulnerabilities in their new code anyway. So far my strategy has proven sound; I've had no attempted intrusions ever. And I don't imagine stopping the endless series of Microsoft patches will cause any practical problems for the foreseeable future, to be honest. Browser makers - even Microsoft - are reacting to the latest news by doing things like making their timers not as fine, limiting what APIs are available to Javascript, etc. And I already have several strategies in place to prevent my system from retrieving bad things from bad places on the web. I've been considering going a bit further and trying out a tool called uMatrix by the same guy who does uBlock. The intent of uMatrix is to limit the scripts that any given site can run to only those served by the site itself and select others. It's generally "deny 3rd party scripts by default" and that probably means a bit more ongoing trouble visiting sites outside one's typical destinations. That could be a significant effort since most sites seem to require scripts from all over the place. How can you really be sure a script is safe before whitelisting it anyway? They're usually obfuscated. Anyway, it's pretty clear that Microsoft has finally gone down one rabbit hole too many with their attempts to break our perfectly good systems, so good riddance. -Noel
  10. I have v. 3.5.1609.100 here. Digitally signed by IBM on Monday, Sep 12, 2016. I've never been able to get it to upgrade. For sure, 3.5.1xxx.xxxx is the last to install on xp. Trying to get it to update, nowadays, only breaks it, so better leave it be.
  11. It would be nice to have a released version, but why not just run the debug version until it's released? -Noel
  12. Last week
  13. Thanks Den, I didn't realise that you had admin problems here and can't create a new thread for this! This is still way off-topic of course, but I'm sure that the problem with Rapport has only happened recently, so I'm now desperately trying to find the offline installers for the last couple of versions so I can try rolling back to one that doesn't cause the problem. The version I'm using at the moment is 3.5.1804.161. This seems to be the last version that actually (sort of) works on XP. Later versions still install OK, but cause a BSOD on boot! Unfortunately, previous versions of the Rapport installers don't seem to be archived anywhere, and I deleted my copy of the installer for the previous version because I hadn't noticed any problem with the version I was using, and all my attempts to undelete the file have failed so far!
  14. Yes, many of us are patiently waiting. I had to downgrade/restore my Windows 10 system to v1703 in order to keep using Aero Glass. Is there any additional testing information you need from us? The latest experimental build (1290) solved all of the screen refresh/glitch issues I was experiencing...
  15. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

The latest version of CPU-Z 1.83.0 was released on January 25, 2018: ZIP version: http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.83-en.zip or SETUP installer: http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.83-en.exe
  16. Better not to... at the moment we still cannot create new threads, so splitting is problematic. When xper solves it, then I may do it. Trusteer Report is needed by one of my banks also. And we have Gas Tech, here, too, which is even more meddlesome. That's why I do have duplicate XP boots in my main machine: one for everyday use but banking, the other solely for banking. And, in my secondary machine, while I do have just one XP boot, I have duplicate 7 boots, one of which is for banking, just to be ready when it becomes fully impossible to do banking on XP. But bank security programs are really intrusive, so I never let them get to my main system partition. Is it tiresome? Sure. But I've had my share of poltrgeists (such as the one Dave just unveiled) to catch, and enough is enough. Duplicate XPs mean just half the trouble, at the end of the day. Congratulations, Dave! Good sleuthing wind the day!
  17. Hi everyone. Thanks very much to everybody who has contributed with suggestions about my Search Companion problem. I've now finally, after several hours of tests and checking, found the culprit! It's actually a program called Trusteer Rapport, which I use as online baking security. It was causing the problem all along, if I disable it, the problem goes away. It does have a history of causing issues, and unfortunately Trusteer (now part of IBM) no longer support XP, so I can't expect any help with it. The problem is in fact nothing to do with any of the recent Windows updates, so could someone (Den?) with the necessary powers delete all the posts relating to this, or move them to a new thread, as they are actually nothing to do with the thread subject. Thanks, Dave.
  18. No New Threads Can Be Created. Help!!!

Of course! ...Medium portion of French Fries on the side, sir?
  19. No New Threads Can Be Created. Help!!!

@dencorso Thanks for transferring my posts in this subforum ; however, I am of the opinion this specific one should've stayed in its original place here, as it has more to do really with Vista's IE9 + TLS 1.2 rather than the forum's current predicament (not being able to start new threads); but I'll leave it up to you... Best wishes
  20. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

@SolidSonicTH You can download the Skype installer for Windows XP from my FTP. Post back and let me know if it works for you: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/SkypeSetupFullXp.exe The official, and currently working, download link for Windows XP Skype version 7.36.0.150 is here: https://download.skype.com/1de55ae8023424270d5c382554da5584/SkypeSetupFullXp.exe) By the way, I just archived the link in the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive). Even when the link above stops working, you'll be able to download from here: https://web.archive.org/web/20180218203417/https://download.skype.com/1de55ae8023424270d5c382554da5584/SkypeSetupFullXp.exe
  21. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

didn't work for me on chrome, only restored some settings and no extensions, i even tried 4 builds chromium, all refused to restore my complete profile when i copied the files / folder back, on launching, it would delete all the installed extensions.
  22. Disable EMET. Just for a test, of course.
  23. No New Threads Can Be Created. Help!!!

It's OK! None taken.
  24. No MSFN forums with Opera Presto engine

In recent days, all the old browsers are no longer able to load the board. The problem should be caused from IPB's new security protocol. So, suddenly and in one fell swoop, all the old OS (also vanilla Windows 2000) have become unusable with msfn. Great work IPB! Is there some hope to solve this big problem? Can you do something please? I'm tired and i seem to fight against the windmills!
  25. Hello. Dear bigmuscle, I would like to know about the new version of aero glass? Could you tell me please when will update build of Aero Glass with improving indexation? I ask this question because I can't use my Windows 10 without your program =) However I have big troubles with MS Office 2016, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft C++ and other programs. When I type text I have bugs with real-time updating on my screen. It is the bug of indexation. If I uninstall Aero Glass from my PC than problem will be solved. I did it for being sure that it is Aero Glass affect to those problems with the invisible text. Unfortunately, I don't want to use Windows 10 without AERO GLASS, but I can't use a lot of programs because this bug creates impossible conditions for use.
  26. No New Threads Can Be Created. Help!!!

... Yes, of course ! Bad choice of word on my part (as lurk may have negative connotation); I should have written "hanging around more" (seeing that you're on Windows XP Pro); no offence whatsoever was intended! Thank you; I initially thought it was something particular to my account/credentials and/or related to the content I was trying to post ; later it emerged it was something more generalised... Hope you do get it sorted eventually... Best regards
  27. Thanks, I had tried re-registering some of those files already, and reinstalling search from its INF file. I tried all of them again, and the additional ones you mention, but no change I'm afraid. One thing I should have mentioned again earlier, and forgot, is that this issue does not occur in Safe Mode. I don't know if that provides any clues. I have of course tried booting with as little as possible running or loading, by using msconfig, but even with everything I could disable disabled, it still happens. Full Safe Mode, it doesn't happen.
  28. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

Validation occurs Error number: 0x80072F19 when updating Windows today WindowsUpdate.log Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for https://www.update.microsoft.com/v11/3/legacy/windowsupdate/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80072f19 WUWeb FATAL: CheckIfClientUpdateNeeded failed: error 0x80072f19 Both methods can be used successfully overcome Redirect http:// to https:// or Enable Enable SSL 2.0 Note: If not successful, update to IE8 and Windows Update Agent 3.0
  1. Load more activity