23 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

With SSD disks everything is easier but I've noticed, from time to time -even after years without problems- the system becomes capricious, some important file becomes corrupted, something starts to fail, some experiment -or an error of impatience as in this case- make the system become unstable and unpredictable.

True that. I bought back in the 2010s two kingston 128gb SSDNOW, one for my setup, one for my siblings. They stopped using theirs in 2014, and I saved it, while using the one I had originally installed in my setup. All went well until 6 or so months, then it started resembling physical drive issues: lost clusters, bad enumeration, eventually damaged blocks, that would move from place to place. I thought it may have been an end of life switch: dumb SMART reported good conditions, despite extensive use. I replaced it, which forced me to reinstll XP from scratch, as my old images wouldnt recognize the configuration (next time I will try to record and change disk id). To set it up from lipstreaming to tweaks takes two weeks, to get XP to my liking, but I have all already documented stepwise, after years of study, practice and stuborness. If I manage to get this new strip down of tricks xp to run as an image within a linux-mint platform (to run internet applications displayed, within XP, I think i'Il have another 10 years of a good thing. May the fairies of XP help me with my needs.

Edited by dmiranda

11 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Sheesh - gotta love Andy Prough's really friendly mention on the Moonies forum. 

A new codename for the PM forum? :buehehe:

Edited by mina7601

20 hours ago, dmiranda said:

All went well until 6 or so months, then it started resembling physical drive issues: lost clusters, bad enumeration, eventually damaged blocks

I'm super used to that. Back in the day I also bought two SSDs but of different brands. A Kingston (works great) and a Samsung (just a bit faster). A friend of mine with a lot of knowledge in technical service always told me that no matter how much you take care of the system, after a certain period of time it deteriorates due to use and ends up corrupted or broken. That's why one day, when I had no choice but to install XP from scratch and reconfigure it to my liking, I made an image and I always have a way to go back. Never had any problems with damage to the disk itself. Once the image is restored, everything works fine... until after a certain time something starts to fail again. That's why I do incremental images.

I've heard that Linux in general is robust and doesn't have this problem of deterioration as Windows. I've tried to research about it to experiment but unfortunately many drivers will never be released and, generalizing, it seems to work fine only on machines with the most common and generic hardware, which is not my case.

20 hours ago, dmiranda said:
 All went well until 6 or so months, then it started resembling physical drive issues: lost clusters, bad enumeration, eventually damaged blocks

chermany4ever :
 I'm super used to that. Back in the day I also bought two SSDs but of different brands.

A friend of mine with a lot of knowledge in technical service always told me that no matter how much you take care of the system, after a certain period of time it deteriorates due to use and ends up corrupted or broken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello chermany4ever,

Is this problem of deterioration of Win XP also true
for XP installed on a HDD (stationary PC - no portable laptop) ?

XP on HDD (stationary)                   = robust
XP on SSD  (stationary or portable) = deterioration
Is this correct ?

PS:

I do not experience deterioration/corruption with NM28

or St52 with W2k-KernelEx on HDD (stationary).

Edited by anton12

Went through previous postings and didn't see any mention of this yet but Microsoft has jumped on the OAuth2 bandwagon for hotmail accounts. The mailnews app doesn't have this option, is it possible to add it?

12 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

Went through previous postings and didn't see any mention of this yet but Microsoft has jumped on the OAuth2 bandwagon for hotmail accounts. The mailnews app doesn't have this option, is it possible to add it?

Read here:

13 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

You could try this method, I was able to connect my Gmail account with it:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184051-my-browser-builds-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=1231998

Edited by mina7601

48 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

And check this thread where we talked a lot about supported protocols: 
https://msfn.org/board/topic/184410-xpvista-compatible-clients-for-modern-email-services/

MailNews actually supports OAuth2. I set up an old hotmail email address months ago which is of course a Microsoft Outlook address today, and it still works. Just tested. And all my Gmail accounts were set up by OAuth2, and they also work in MailNews.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

35 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

And check this thread where we talked a lot about supported protocols: 
https://msfn.org/board/topic/184410-xpvista-compatible-clients-for-modern-email-services/

MailNews actually supports OAuth2. I set up an old hotmail email address months ago which is of course a Microsoft Outlook address today, and it still works. Just tested. And all my Gmail accounts were set up by OAuth2, and they also work in MailNews.

It is supporting OAuth2 for me, I've got it working with yahoo but with the hotmail account that protocol option is missing. There's just four: normal, encrypted, kerberos, and NTLM. I've tried setting it up as a new account but no luck. Thunderbird 115.0 has it by default so I was able to get it working with that version. I''ll go through these threads and see what if anything can help.     

16 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

It is supporting OAuth2 for me, I've got it working with yahoo but with the hotmail account that protocol option is missing. There's just four: normal, encrypted, kerberos, and NTLM. I've tried setting it up as a new account but no luck. Thunderbird 115.0 has it by default so I was able to get it working with that version. I''ll go through these threads and see what if anything can help.     

In my installation of MailNews, the option OAuth2 exists. :yes: