7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Yeah, it's a completely pity, I wish it was like Discourse, which does allow quoting posts, even from locked topics. What's even worse is, when you edit a post of yours, and click Quote to quote a post, instead of the quote getting added into the editor, it instead gets added to the "Reply to this topic..." textbox.

Yes I've also noticed once the thread is closed you can't quote.

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

where do I place this script to make it work?

You will need to install a userscript manager. i.e., Greasemonkey, from Classic Add-ons Archive add-on. (There's a newer version, thanks @UCyborg) Go to Greasemonkey's menu (at the top right of the browser, the down arrow next to Greasemonkey's icon), and select New User Script, then put a name for the userscript (for example, name the userscript that @rereser provided as "Discourse forums breakage fix" or any other name you like), and in the Namespace, put anything you like, your name if you want. Click OK, then a new dialog will appear. Copy-paste the code from @VistaLover's reply to me, then save it. For the script to work, make sure that Greasemonkey is enabled (that there's a check mark behind the word Enabled)

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Yes I've also noticed once the thread is closed you can't quote.

You also can't edit your posts in a locked topic either.

Edited by mina7601

Thank you, @mina7601! A little over my head but I will work on this over the weekend - sounds like a good project/distraction from depression and anxiety.

That is right only report and share are options in the closed thread.

Edited by XPerceniol

5 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

GreaseMonkey for Pale Moon 3.31.4 should be better suited for UXP browsers.

https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases/tag/3.31.4Fork

Thanks for the information, didn't know that there's a newer version you can use, instead of the one from Classic Add-ons Archive. Post edited to reflect that.

Edited by mina7601

22 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Well, then thank you very much @rereser for this userscript!

... That script (the actual JS code in it) first surfaced one year ago, in the PMForums:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=235705#p235705

by member @adoxa ;) ; I have no way to tell whether both (different forum) usernames belong to the same person :dubbio:; it was MSFN I originally copied it from, but later traced its origin to the "upstream" forum...

And a word from Discourse admins regarding them blocking UXP-based browsers (and how, down the line, the userscript circumvents that block):

https://meta.discourse.org/t/browser-detection-script-only-malfunctioning-on-pale-moon-32-x/273848

Edited by VistaLover

Hello guys. You know I haven't developed the knowledge to be able to diagnose the errors with the detail that you do but I wanted to tell you that there are two sites I regularly use that stopped working in Serpent.

I'm not the kind of guy who watch videos on YouTube. I usually download the videos in the desired quality to play them on my PC. The two sites I use for that purpose have buttons to download the videos and they disappeared. The sites are:

https://www.y2mate.com

https://www.genyt.net

They are quite popular sites, I guess you know them. I leave you screenshots with a red ellipse where the buttons used to be. In GenYouTube I could access by pressing Enter but the button to find the links to the videos just vanished. I upgraded Serpent to the latest version. I assume it's a Serpent problem because I tried to enter the sites using the old Mypal v.29 and the buttons are there. I hope you can help me because I use these sites a lot. Thanks in advance!

Dibujo3.JPG

Dibujo1.JPG

From the discussion @VistaLover linked to above:

Only CSS.supports("aspect-ratio: 1") is false. I have to admit it puzzles me that you would need to detect that, especially since[,] as I went looking to see what styles rely on that, I found quite a few places in the CSS with @supports not (aspect-ratio: 1) {/*...*/} blocks and the like, which would seem to explain why the sites’ appearance is fine despite lacking aspect-ratio support.

It puzzled me too. It sounds to me like the CSS was written to work even if aspect-ratio: 1 isn't supported; yet the browser compatibility testing script (at least they did it with feature detection vs. UA sniffing) insists on such support anyway. Sounds to me like the CSS and JS developers weren't communicating with each other.

At a minimum, the script should provide the "modern" Web site if that's the only feature the browser lacks, perhaps with a "We'll stop supporting this browser soon" banner (with a clickable X to remove it) if there are plans to "upgrade" the CSS to require that support in the future.

14 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

Hello guys. You know I haven't developed the knowledge to be able to diagnose the errors with the detail that you do but I wanted to tell you that there are two sites I regularly use that stopped working in Serpent.

I'm not the kind of guy who watch videos on YouTube. I usually download the videos in the desired quality to play them on my PC. The two sites I use for that purpose have buttons to download the videos and they disappeared. The sites are:

They are quite popular sites, I guess you know them. I leave you screenshots with a red ellipse where the buttons used to be. In GenYouTube I could access by pressing Enter but the button to find the links to the videos just vanished. I upgraded Serpent to the latest version. I assume it's a Serpent problem because I tried to enter the sites using the old Mypal v.29 and the buttons are there. I hope you can help me because I use these sites a lot. Thanks in advance!

Dibujo3.JPG

As far as the https://video.genyt.xyz/QCvGNDzNJQ4 page is concerned, I cannot confirm your observation. The buttons for downloading various video formats are displayed correctly in the latest version of Serpent 52:

Serpent-52-Gen-YT.png

In the most recent version of New Moon 28, it is working, too. I guess something in your settings is blocking the provision of these buttons.smilie_denk_24.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hi

There is a problem with serpent 52 and its "reader view" function which is located in the address bar, the text is not displayed in full. It works perfectly on serpent 55 without problem where it displays the entire page.

to test on the forum page, it will only display the first post, and the problem is on all online newspapers where it only displays the beginning of the text.

can we solve this problem? :dubbio:

31 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

Hi

There is a problem with serpent 52 and its "reader view" function which is located in the address bar, the text is not displayed in full. It works perfectly on serpent 55 without problem where it displays the entire page.

to test on the forum page, it will only display the first post, and the problem is on all online newspapers where it only displays the beginning of the text.

can we solve this problem? :dubbio:

In Serpent 55, it suffers from a problem too. Testing Reader View with MSFN in this topic in Serpent 55, it only displays the profile picture, the "Group Legend" label, the "Joined" date, and most importantly, the username. It doesn't display the country flags, nor the posts.

In Serpent 52, indeed, it doesn't display all posts in MSFN with Reader View, but it actually displays the post after the first post, not the first post itself.

Edited by mina7601

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... That script (the actual JS code in it) first surfaced one year ago, in the PMForums:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=235705#p235705

by member @adoxa ;) ; I have no way to tell whether both (different forum) usernames belong to the same person :dubbio:; it was MSFN I originally copied it from, but later traced its origin to the "upstream" forum...

Thanks for this information, I didn't know that, as I don't really browse around Pale Moon forums often.

FYI, I created a new, special version of uBlock Origin, especially with regard to @roytam1's browser editions, the Pale Moon and the Basilisk browser. More about that can be read in this post where I provide a download link for this new version called uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Important information for all users of language packs in New Moon 28! Recently, there have been changes in the Privacy tab of New Moon's Preferences. New entities have been added which leads to an empty Privacy tab. The language packs must therefore be adapted. smilie_denk_24.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 1/21/2024 at 3:17 AM, chermany4ever said:

that there are two sites I regularly use that stopped working in Serpent.
(redacted)
The two sites I use for that purpose have buttons to download the videos and they disappeared. The sites are:

¡Hola! :) It would've made things easier for any troubleshooter to also post links to the actual YT video(s) you're having trouble with ;) ; in any case, the one depicted in your attachments appears to be: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIEQCxpMdDY

Having now updated to the latest St52 release myself [v52.9.0 (2024-01-18) (32-bit)], I tried your YT video with the "y2mate" service, and have found it to behave as expected (in my current, "dirty", profile at least) :

nBED5me.png

I had a similar successful result when I tried the same video with the second, "GenYT", service; after the YT video player had fully loaded, I pressed the red "Generate Download Links" bar and then ;) :

YQUQpS0.png

(success with that service - but with a different YT video -  has been already confirmed here :thumbup )

I know I'm not being helpful enough, but the standard troubleshooting procedures should apply in your case, too...

1. First, try to reproduce in a fresh St52 profile; if all's OK, then
2. Launch your dirty profile in Safe Mode - do note that if you have NoScript installed, uninstall it fully because it might still interfere even in Safe Mode. If the problem isn't observed in SM, one of your extensions/extension setting(s) (in your dirty profile) is interfering with those two sites - the problem may have become evident just now, due to core browser changes (or, even, site changes) ...
3. If the problem is observed even in Safe Mode (with NS fully removed), then one (or more) of your custom "about:config" settings is to blame for the breakage...

In the unlikely event you can reproduce the "issue" even in a FRESH St52 profile, then both I and AstroSkipper have custom settings that make these sites work in our dirty profiles - or something else is happening at your end :dubbio:...

On 1/21/2024 at 3:17 AM, chermany4ever said:

I hope you can help me because I use these sites a lot.

I've stopped using "online-video-downloaders" years ago; they come and go as the wind blows ;) ; Google is always after them (and, in the case of copyrighted music content, the RIAA and similar), many first download the selected media content to their own servers and then the user has to fetch from there, and to fund their services they often use aggressive advertising and/or crypto-mining :angry: ...

For YT (and other media portals) I exclusively use youtube-dl and/or yt-dlp (standalone CLI apps built on Python); the first has (nightly) releases still supporting WinXP, while the second one (which is more feature-rich) has unofficial WinXP ports; use the Forum Search to learn more :P) ...

Edited by VistaLover