Supermium

1 hour ago, Destro said:

ok it isn't helpful.  Good luck.

if it's a core 2 duo (2007) it should run with no issues but do not expect the same performance as a core 2 quad for a 2024 browser build 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184363-release-vistart-v815258-start-menu-replacement-for-xp-10/page/2/#comment-1239213

--single-process

16 hours ago, Destro said:

We can't blame the CPU. 

The processor is exactly what affects this. I have tested Supermium on many different computers, from a very low-end Atom to an i7, but the problems with freezing or inability to start have only occurred on a single-core processor. On one system it doesn't start at all, on another it starts, but every action causes the CPU to load at 100% for a long time. The developer is aware of this problem, maybe in future updates it will be solved.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, VistaLover said:

... For people on WinXP SP3 "trialing" the latest Sm-121-hf x86 release, win32 is kindly providing recompiled+rebased versions of files: 

that will reduce excessive RAM usage by the browser on pre-Vista OSes: 

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/204#issuecomment-1924048080
https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/204#issuecomment-1924437338
https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/204#issuecomment-1924647139

:P

Thanks.  This helped, but I still experienced an issue when the browser hanged without an error when I was browsing Aliexpress.   Hmm...  I think it's time to move to Windows 7 for this PC.

Just to quickly report that I've now had a go with Supermium on Windows XP 32 bit, and it seems to work very well!

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.bae4dc5c1b16284838491e35f8810115.jpg

Early days of course, but it looks very hopeful.
:thumbup

Besides using those rebased dlls, it may also help rebasing chrome.dll libEGL.dll libGLESv2.dll vk_swiftshader.dll vulkan-1.dll. The specifications provided by @UCyborg (point 3) work in my multicore system

Have a backup of the dlls to be rebased ready, just in case.

1-Search and download rebase.exe 6.0.6001.17129. Place it somewhere of your liking. Copy full path

2-Open a prompt box on your-path-to-Supernium\121.0.6167.81

3-In prompt, enter your-path-to-rebase.exe -b 10040000 chrome.dll libEGL.dll libGLESv2.dll vk_swiftshader.dll vulkan-1.dll

Edited by dmiranda

41 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Just to quickly report that I've now had a go with Supermium on Windows XP 32 bit, and it seems to work very well!

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.bae4dc5c1b16284838491e35f8810115.jpg

Early days of course, but it looks very hopeful.
:thumbup

Oh my, that's wow! Enjoy latest Chromium in your XP PC, and I hope it's running smooth, and that you are not facing any crashes at all. :)

6 hours ago, dmiranda said:

help rebasing libEGL.dll libGLESv2.dll vk_swiftshader.dll vulkan-1.dll. 

Vulkan isn't supported on XP, you can simply deleted those. I had explained it in the past many times, afraid to do so? Make a backup before.

https://www.vulkan.org/

And even if in some parallel universe it would, no drivers for XP exist.

Since this topic isn't limited to "supermium on XP only", and we have Vista users here, if someone wants to experiment with Vulkan, which isn't supported on XP, but works with Vista x64, you can leave those files alone, install a driver from my tutorial and try. 

Not entirely true.  Somebody here should ask win32ss direclty on just what "vulkan" is and is not when it comes to not only XP x86 but also to XP x64 which is not the same beast driver-wise.  MANY x64 users have witnessed this for themselves.

I think win32ss would know more about this than folks that simply delete files willy-nilly and check a checkbox, "yep, it 'works' without this file".

Deleting a file in x86 does not carry over to deleting a file in x64.  Speaking solely for XP.

I think UCyborg has also researched the matter in the past, do not recall offhand.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not entirely true. 

And why is that? Is it your gut feeling? When you accuse a member who is knowledgeable in video drivers, esp. in Nvidia drivers (that supply Vulkan with them), everyone would like to see proof.

Articles with tests (where it's clearly shown) whether it works like you claim. Thanks.

I think win32ss would know more about this than folks that simply delete files willy-nilly and check a checkbox, "yep, it 'works' without this file".

Again I'm not "a folk that simply delete files willy-nilly and check a checkbox", be respectful and reasonable on the forum.

Check in chrome / GPU.

Vulkan: Disabled

x64 users have lock-up issues if they delete the "vulkan" files - FACT

The file may be NAMED "vulkan", that doesn't imply that is its SOLE purpose for existence.

I will not engage in this FIGHT.

I *will* monitor the official GitHub (I am not a member, but I do read the official) for discussions on what "vulkan" is and is not for XP x64 versus XP x86.

Somebody here should ask win32ss direclty on just what "vulkan" is and is not when it comes to not only XP x86 but also to XP x64 which is not the same beast driver-wise.

Win32 doesn't respond here anymore, and you know it. We were trying to raise our voices of wisdom and cool down the local crap posters. But we were labelled as the evil "collective you" by some grandpa. Good deeds don't go unpunished.

So either you make a github account and try to ask, or do your own research (as you already stated you don't trust me).

In case someone missed why no win32 anymore.link

x64 users have lock-up issues if they delete the "vulkan" files - FACT

That "fact" is not valid here, You again forget, it's not a 360EE topic No.2385382538258. simply because someone wrote it happened in that outdated by several years browser, doesn't mean it will happen with Supermium released a week ago.