4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not talking about us continuing all our thread conversations there, all we need is a thread, probably in their 'Chit Chat' section, where we can discuss the status of the MSFN forum as a whole.

Oh, I see, at first I mistakenly thought it was about migrating to another forum if MSFN is offline, but after reading the main topic post carefully, I realized that now. Sorry for that! :)

9 hours ago, legacyfan said:

eclipse.cx would be one of the options as quite a few msfn members are registered there and they seem to have a really good admin there to help with issues and it seems to be the only forum with the most contact with here

I don't think we should use a board that's specific to any strict matter.

eclipse.cx is for Vampire films fans only.

https://www.tvinsider.com/show/the-twilight-saga-eclipse/

Another general PC system support forum would be a wise decision as our temporary refuge.

4 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

So what did happen this past weekend?

What do you mean, could you be more specific, please? I was away this past weekend, and, I think it was Monday, I noticed no posts from members.

But I heard a rumour, one of the enraged members was ddosing the site, so they had to allow only 100 percent trusted IPs.

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

My Digital Life (MDL) is a great forum with less restrictions than others. I am a member there since 2009 when it was still named forums.mydigitallife.info and not forums.mydigitallife.net. But more in the form of a passive member than an active one. Already posted comments can be edited at any time. I mention that because there are many forums with a lot of restrictions such as Malwarebytes Forums or Windows XP Forums. And I agree to @Dave-H, the Chit Chat subforum would be the right place if MDL is wanted. :)

Hmm ...  interesting! And they don't show racism towards Vista! I mean, Vista is not in the "older OS" section.

And what's with the ethics there? No foreigners trying to correct proper British spelling?

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Vista is not in the "older OS" section

But it is listed under the Microsoft Windows forums. Here is a link: Windows Vista :P Honestly, it doesn't really matter what sub-forums exist on MDL. Here, in this thread, we are looking for a place where MSFN members can talk when their forum is down for whatever reason. This place to be chosen therefore has nothing to do with operating systems and will logically be located in a general talk area. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Any place we would go to for refuge cannot be a place we just pick in this thread, but a place where the forum owner or admins allow us to go. That being said, MDL is not a place we can have an official relationship with due to the nature of the content they post there. RyanVM was a good place in the past as there was enough user crossover (particularly staff and older users) and Reboot.pro is a site similar in that way at least. They aren't always particularly reliable either and still somehow do not use HTTPS which may turn off a lot of people.

The MSFN twitter was the first place I looked (out of habit for when a site isn't working) but it really hasn't been viable for things like this. With the exception to the tweet made 4 hours ago, there hasn't been anything done with that account since 2019.

The only other official place I am aware of is the Steam group but it isn't utilized afaik.

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I do not know the details but it seems to have been a fixing done by xper. Here is a link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/184762-hacked-homepage/

I don't think that 'fix' by xper, which was just removing a news page which had been hacked and had spam inserted into it, had anything to do with the outage.
In fact during the outage the news pages were still online, it was only the forum pages which were inaccessible.
:)

I can still read the MSFN page on Facebook without logging in, I just have to close the login prompt.
A login nag remains at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't stop you reading the content.
:yes:

16 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

So what did happen this past weekend?

I guess forum software was updated, which will surely be appreciated by the fans of the old web browsers here. /s

Behold, insert-inline-end CSS property is used under the Topics section now to align replies counter, which is not supported by the latest Windows XP supporting Chrome.

Edited by UCyborg