On 6/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Dave-H said:

I can still read the MSFN page on Facebook without logging in, I just have to close the login prompt.
A login nag remains at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't stop you reading the content.
:yes:

A cookie (or other fingerprint) must tell it you are a registered member. I'm not and have never been able to view any Facebook content.

Until today. By using an Android phone with no blocking, I am able to reproduce the read-only version displayed after dismissing the Logon nag overlay.

Edited by jumper
New test results

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I can still read the MSFN page on Facebook without logging in, I just have to close the login prompt.
A login nag remains at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't stop you reading the content.
:yes:

Ah yes, you are correct, I can read the Facebook page after closing the login prompt.

17 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ah yes, you are correct, I can read the Facebook page after closing the login prompt.

Yes, that's what I do if I'm not actually logged in.
I wonder what @jumper is seeing?
It may depend on the browser of course.
:dubbio:

On 6/8/2023 at 12:45 AM, D.Draker said:

Another general PC system support forum would be a wise decision as our temporary refuge.

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Here, in this thread, we are looking for a place where MSFN members can talk when their forum is down for whatever reason. This place to be chosen therefore has nothing to do with operating systems and will logically be located in a general talk area. :)

You're absolutely right, and I already wrote before your reply, as our temporary refuge.

I have a feeling - most of the members won't agree on anything, and I suggest, all of you, who would want to get in touch, just exchange the emails.

That having been said, a bad idea would be to give your important email to someone in doubt,

I'm torn between suggesting my site https://board.eclipse.cx/ and https://www.wincert.net/forum/. WinCert is probably a lot more likely to handle the amount of traffic that MSFN does while I have no clue how my site would fare. However WinCert is also basically alternative timeline MSFN and suffers from Invision software as well. Meanwhile you can use my forum with Retrozilla if you wanted to. Considering MyPal 68 is a thing and goes down to 2000 (with extended kernel) and 9x users have 52 based browsers now iirc, it's less of an issue now, but an Invision update could break those later on too.

19 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

I'm torn between suggesting my site https://board.eclipse.cx/ and https://www.wincert.net/forum/. WinCert is probably a lot more likely to handle the amount of traffic that MSFN does while I have no clue how my site would fare. However WinCert is also basically alternative timeline MSFN and suffers from Invision software as well. Meanwhile you can use my forum with Retrozilla if you wanted to. Considering MyPal 68 is a thing and goes down to 2000 (with extended kernel) and 9x users have 52 based browsers now iirc, it's less of an issue now, but an Invision update could break those later on too.

Thanks, but I'll say again, what we're looking for is a forum where people can refer to a thread which discusses MSFN's current status if it goes offline, for whatever reason.
We're not talking about a substitute for MSFN as a whole, which I'm sure we all hope will never become necessary!
On RyanVM here (archived) we just had a social thread where we re-grouped when MSFN was down. I may be wrong, but I think it was instigated by dencorso.
As that forum no longer exists, we'd just like to find a suitable replacement.
:)

Ah ok, well my site please.

I was going to edit into that post me suggesting against various sites, but I went and typed so much you already replied. MDL likely would require login to view such a post because they like doing that. Reddit might work, but going by API killing and i.reddit.com killing, old.reddit.com might go away and in that case rip old browsers. reboot.pro seems too generic and more new technology focused to replace MSFN, but could work for a thread like that. XP/Vista forum could work, but they seem too specific towards one OS. Less of an issue for a regroup post, but idk.

Edit: reboot.pro is surprisingly usable in K-Meleon 76 (NM27 iirc). I haven't tried logging in or making an account, but it could work. (Last Vista post there was in 2017 lol.)

Edit 2: I made an account and set a pfp all in K-Meleon 76. Pretty nice actually, surprised I never heard about the site.

Edited by K4sum1

12 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

Ah ok, well my site please.

I was going to edit into that post me suggesting against various sites, but I went and typed so much you already replied. MDL likely would require login to view such a post because they like doing that. Reddit might work, but going by API killing and i.reddit.com killing, old.reddit.com might go away and in that case rip old browsers. reboot.pro seems too generic and more new technology focused to replace MSFN, but could work for a thread like that. XP/Vista forum could work, but they seem too specific towards one OS. Less of an issue for a regroup post, but idk.

Edit: reboot.pro is surprisingly usable in K-Meleon 76 (NM27 iirc). I haven't tried logging in or making an account, but it could work. (Last Vista post there was in 2017 lol.)

Edit 2: I made an account and set a pfp all in K-Meleon 76. Pretty nice actually, surprised I never heard about the site.

the famous windows driver modder farnando is also there not that it really matters to the subject of the topic

Edited by legacyfan

On 6/8/2023 at 3:14 PM, Tripredacus said:

The MSFN twitter was the first place I looked (out of habit for when a site isn't working) but it really hasn't been viable for things like this. With the exception to the tweet made 4 hours ago, there hasn't been anything done with that account since 2019.

Mea Culpa. Sorry for that. I was in Germany on the way home when I got message about downtime.

Thanks xper.

I think that blows a hole in the completely speculative theory proposed earlier that a forum software update caused the outage! Surely only you personally would have performed that.

I'll go back on topic now!

😁

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, but I'll say again, what we're looking for is a forum where people can refer to a thread which discusses MSFN's current status if it goes offline, for whatever reason.
We're not talking about a substitute for MSFN as a whole, which I'm sure we all hope will never become necessary!

Well, the topic title is a bit misleading to some users, don't you think? I mean, changing it to "Alternative location for discussing MSFN's status if MSFN is offline" would have been much better, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by mina7601

• Dave-H changed the title to Alternative location for discussing MSFN's status if MSFN is offline