My Browser Builds (Part 4)

I use "reader.parse-on-load.force-enabled;true" to enable reader view button on any web page, but I feel I still need a quicker way: hotkey. I read from https://techdows.com/2016/08/firefox-reader-view-keyboard-shortcut.html there is Ctrl+Alt+R or F9, but they don't work in my Serpent 52. Is there any place to set it?

ps. The reader view used to let me set font, size, etc. in a side bar, but now the tool bar is gone. How could it be back?  It is back after set "reader.has_used_toolbar;false", but I don't know how it was set to true.

Edited by luweitest
ps

2 hours ago, luweitest said:

I use "reader.parse-on-load.force-enabled;true" to enable reader view button on any web page, but I feel I still need a quicker way: hotkey. I read from https://techdows.com/2016/08/firefox-reader-view-keyboard-shortcut.html there is Ctrl+Alt+R or F9, but they don't work in my Serpent 52. Is there any place to set it?

ps. The reader view used to let me set font, size, etc. in a side bar, but now the tool bar is gone. How could it be back?  It is back after set "reader.has_used_toolbar;false", but I don't know how it was set to true.

The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+R works in my installation of Serpent 52, but F9 doesn't.
The variable reader.parse-on-load.enabled is set to true (default setting), and the variable reader.parse-on-load.force-enabled is set to false (default setting).

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

To control and change keyboard shortcuts in general, I used the extension dorando keyconfig in the past. I don't know if it is still compatible, but I think so. :) Here is a link:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/thunderbird/addon/dorando-keyconfig/ 
The last (legacy) version was 2018.1.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

17 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... For me (St52), the default is "false" :dubbio::

LW5g6SP.png

You are absolutely right. :yes: I mixed up the variables reader.parse-on-load.enabled and reader.parse-on-load.force-enabled. Shi* happens! :whistle: I already corrected my post.
Here is a screenshot of my settings in Serpent 52:

Serpent-52-reader-mode.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

It is Tab Mix Plus that has been broken. Installing the latest https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/ Pale Moon/Basilisk 0.5.8.4 version doesn't help. Which is a shame because TMP is a nice add-on.

For the moment I've sort of fixed things with this...

.tab-label[pinned]
    {
        width: 0 !important;
        margin-left: 0 !important;
        margin-right: 0 !important;
        padding-left: 0 !important;
        padding-right: 0 !important;
    }
    .tab-content
    {
       white-space: nowrap !important;
       overflow: hidden !important;
       text-overflow: ellipsis !important;
    }

...but it's by no means perfect especially if you start opening lots of tabs.

Hi Ben. I was using TMP 0.5.8.1 until this build, no problem, but with this latest build not even 0.5.8.4 makes the trick, as you pointed out. I intuit that the issue is that this latest build doesn't respect fixed size tabs, as it extends its width to cover the page title, when it loads, overlapping with left and right tabs till resulting in the crazy pic I posted. Open 20 pages and you can't know what is what, anymore. 

As in the attached pic, TMP has a setting in its display section, tab's tab, next to last item: tab width fits to tab title. I have always have it un-tick, But the last build disregards this setting, I reckon, and forces full title width tabs, on top of other 50 width tabs. A fresh vanilla profile does not suffer this problem: tabs' width are fixed, irrespective of page title.

Now, in the meanwhile (forgive my ignorance): where should I enter the code you suggested?  Thanks!

Noname.png.74083a8fbeb04f252ddf56851851f0b9.png

Edited by dmiranda

13 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Unfortunately it hasn't fixed everything. Chase.com made a change a couple of weeks ago, after which I could no longer sign in. (It prompts for my user ID and password as always, but when I sign in, I now get the unhelpful message "It looks like this part of our site isn't working right now." I've had to switch to 360EE or MiniBrowser (both Chromium builds) to use Chase.com.

This recent update fixed two sites for me: a utility and health site. Spectrum is still out and a few others won't redirect while displaying a "Secure Connection Failed" flag. Quite an improvement though considering the age of the browser.

13 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Try this:

1. Ctrl-Shift-B to open the "All Bookmarks" window.
  2. Click "Import and Backup."
  3. Click "Export Bookmarks to HTML."
  4. Save your bookmarks.html file somewhere. Remember where you saved it.
  5. Close that browser; open the other one.
  6. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
  7. Click "Backup" and save a backup of your bookmarks in case something goes wrong.
  8. Click "Import and Backup" again, then "Import Bookmarks from HTML."
  9. Select the bookmarks.html file you saved in step 4.
  10. If things go haywire, click "Import and Backup," then "Restore" and restore the backup saved in step 7.

Many thanks, Mathwiz! Having seen much going haywire with (Mozilla) browsers, i permitted me to substitute 6./7. with a complete backup of the complete .\profile folder ;).

Well, what happend as the result to the procedure then was... what i expected/suspected: the import doesn't an "intelligent" merge (identifiing duplicate (sub(sub(...)))folders and bookmarks), but a simple addition of everything in the exported HTML. So it creates a second "software" folder, a second "hardware" folder and so on... the complete bookmark base (came from Firefox 52.9) is doubled...

However, many thanks again for your suggestion!!

(and btw, any other hints and suggestions to my very first post here are very welcome as well :yes:)

Edited by Mark-XP

26 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

where should I enter the code you suggested?

This is userstyle code, so you can either place it inside file:

<browser-profile-directory>\chrome\userChrome.css

(requires a browser restart to take effect)

or use the userstyle manager Stylem to create a new userstyle containing the posted CSS code...

FWIW, an "empty" userChrome.css file (aka userChrome-example.css) contains the below code:

/*
 * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
 * profile-directory/chrome/
 */

/*
 * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
 * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
 * override default settings.
 */

/*
 * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
 */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/*
 * Some possible accessibility enhancements:
 */
/*
 * Make all the default font sizes 20 pt:
 * * {
 *   font-size: 20pt !important
 * }
 */
/*
 * Make menu items in particular 15 pt instead of the default size:
 * menupopup > * {
 *   font-size: 15pt !important
 * }
 */
/*
 * Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font
 * #urlbar {
 *    font-family: monospace !important;
 * }
 */

/*
 * Eliminate the throbber and its annoying movement:
 * #throbber-box {
 *   display: none !important;
 * }
 */

/*
 * For more examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
 */

Hope it helps :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover

49 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

Now, in the meanwhile (forgive my ignorance): where should I enter the code you suggested?  Thanks!

As @VistaLover says, it's a user style. I'm using an older version (2.0.7) of the Stylish extension – before it was 'compromised' with data-collection crap – Stylus is its more up to date fork that works with the latest FF.

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
@-moz-document url-prefix('chrome://browser/content/browser.xul')
{
    .tab-label[pinned]
    {
        width: 0 !important;
        margin-left: 0 !important;
        margin-right: 0 !important;
        padding-left: 0 !important;
        padding-right: 0 !important;
    }
    .tab-content
    {
       white-space: nowrap !important;
       overflow: hidden !important;
       text-overflow: ellipsis !important;
    }
}

Ben.

2 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

Stylus is its more up to date fork that works with the latest FF.

... Unlike the "legacy" version of Stylish you're currently using, Stylus is exclusively offered in WebExtension format, thus not suitable for modifying the browser's GUI discussed here... FTR, the last version of Stylus compatible with St52 is the (now) old v1.4.23 (which was targeting Fx52+ back in the day...). 

I still use Stylus-v1.4.23 (together with Stylem-2.2.9) in my Serpent 52 profile, because Stylus (unlike Stylem :() does have support for the "*.user.css" format of userstyles, which is now the defacto format used in currently maintained userstyles (e.g. the ones published by StylishThemes); however, v1.4.23 is becoming quickly deprecated/unusable over the last year or so, because its CSS parser can't digest the Googlified CSS syntax present in recent, updated, versions of userstyles; newer versions of Stylus can, but they're not compatible with St52 :(; so, one has to either a) implement full and proper support for "*.user.css" inside Stylem, b) backport a working/recent CSS parser into Stylus-v1.4.23 from newer Stylus versions, c) make a recent Stylus version compatible with St52; needless to say, I don't hold my breath for a, b or c to materialise :( ...

Edited by VistaLover

In Serpent 52, not only Tab Mix Plus seems to be broken. Even the extension Tab Utilities Phoenix in the version 2.1.0 and also the most recent 2.1.2 from March 6, 2023 is not working properly. The feature 'multi-row tab bar' causes a 100% CPU utilization. Something tab related must have been changed. :dubbio: Only disabling this feature in Tab Utilities Phoenix will make Serpent usable again. :angry: I am not really happy with that as it is a feature I actually always have been using. :realmad:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hello.

The latest version of New Moon has started to work much faster, but there are a few shortcomings.

In the latest version, unlike the previous one, there were problems. On two sites (owned by the same owner), errors started to fly out. It is also impossible to log in to your personal account on the website of public services of Russia.

Thanks.

https://i.ibb.co/M5PQ1jL/1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/JQXmtYD/2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/1dbV3zT/3.jpg

On 3/4/2023 at 4:30 PM, VistaLover said:

There's mention here: https://repo.palemoon.org/moonchildproductions/pale-moon/issues/1908 of a pref: browser.tabs.fadeLabels ...which supposedly turns off the new tab effects but I can't get it to do anything. The comment is a bit vague in that it doesn't say what type the pref is (true/false, 0/1, something else). I also can't see this pref being referenced in the code changes.

Will this change have hit Pale Moon/Basilisk proper yet?

Ben.