My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... Actually, this isn't true... Yes, the yellow banner and other such disclaimers are there for me, too, but once you move to a selected extension's page, you'll be able (I hope :)) to find a "Download file" link (directly to the addon's XPI file):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/decentraleyes/

Sometimes I get confused by your examples. Decentraleyes 2.0+ says it requires FF 56. Were you implying that it will run in Serpent 55, or was this just a random example?

Serpent 55 "pretends" to be FF 55, so Decentraleyes 2.0 and up won't install OOTB, even if you set up a SSUAO to restore the "Add to Firefox" button (and older versions aren't available at AMO).

Of course, you can edit the Manifest.json inside the .xpi (which means you need to download it anyway). That breaks the signature, but Serpent 55 doesn't seem to care; it installs anyway. But it doesn't seem to work, so I assume v2.0+ isn't compatible:

image.thumb.png.fbf1153e4dea0c7a3f74bba13b3cb502.png

I am quite sure Decentraleyes was just an example to show that there is no problem with downloading extensions from the website addons.mozilla.org by Serpent 55. Nothing else. :) I assume @VistaLover chose this example to show the yellow banner and yet the possibility of downloading the extension. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

once you move to a selected extension's page, you'll be able (I hope :)) to find a "Download file" link (directly to the addon's XPI file)

Ah VistaLover, exactly, but I didn't see it... it's in small letters, especially compared to the big buttons of the impossibility propaganda... So many thanks to you and sorry for taking your time!

@Mathwiz

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Decentraleyes was just an example to show that there is no problem with downloading extensions from the website addons.mozilla.org by Serpent 55. Nothing else. :) I assume @VistaLover chose this example to show the yellow banner and yet the possibility of downloading the extension. :P

I couldn't have said it better myself, BTW :thumbup ...
If you're still interested in installing Decentraleyes for what it is/does, then its "legacy" version (v1.4.3) is found here:

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/addon/decentraleyes/

It installs out-of-the-box, and

https://decentraleyes.org/test/

reports:

All tests completed.

Decentraleyes is fully operational.

FWIW, GitLab also has v1.4.2:

https://git.synz.io/Synzvato/decentraleyes/-/tags/v1.4.2

in WE format, intended for FxESR 52, but I'd stick myself with the updated, "legacy", version 1.4.3...
FTR, St55 comes with WE-support equal, or possibly slightly inferior, to Fx 53.0a1, so if a WE truly requires APIs to be found on 56.0a1+, it's expected it won't function in St55 (in any case, a bit of trial-and-error doesn't hurt when it comes to WE, because in some cases the minimum supported Fx version has been "artificially" increased by AMO :angry: ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

6 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

If you're still interested in installing Decentraleyes for what it is/does, then its "legacy" version (v1.4.3) is found here:

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/addon/decentraleyes/

Thanks for the tip! But it's been in my local archive for a long time. You know I am a fan of good and working extensions. :thumbup

Understood and thanks to both @AstroSkipper and @VistaLover.

FWIW, the SSUAO general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0 will re-enable the "Add to Firefox" button for all the WE extensions at AMO that will install on Serpent 55. But some probably won't work after installing, since Serpent 55 is actually based on FF 53 as @VistaLover noted above, so you may prefer to change "55.0" to "53.0" in the string above. Add-ons requiring a newer version than whatever you specify in the SSUAO will have a yellow banner similar to the one that triggered this discussion, although it will read "You need an updated version of Firefox"  vs. "You'll need to download Firefox...."

OTOH some add-ons don't really require the version they say they require; so if you like to experiment, you may want to leave the version at 55.0; just be aware that not all add-ons will work once installed.

Edited by Mathwiz

For St52/St55 users and AMO: Setting a SSUAO like below:

general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:110.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/110.0

will make all yellow banners and disclaimers go away; but, it appears AMO is now using the big blue "Add to Firefox" button ONLY for the latest version of an add-on, previous ones are only available via the "Download file" links:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/decentraleyes/versions/

(you need to scroll down for the older versions)

Edited by VistaLover

The old version of Decentraleyes doesn't do much any more, I'm afraid.

Script assets are outdated.

Version 1.4.3
Updated on April 19, 2021

Actively maintained WE alternative: LocalCDN.

No idea if it will work on Basilisk...

Didn't install on Basilisk.

Edited by nicolaasjan

14 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Didn't install on Basilisk.

... Not only that, it appears it expects Fx 86.0 at a minimum, so close to zero chance it would've worked even if force-installed :( (via hacking its manifest.json file) ...

Edited by VistaLover

On 3/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, Ben Markson said:

basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20230304-3219d2d-uxp-33981efb4-xpmod.7z

I think the tab pining has gone a bit wonky.

There is definitively something worng with the way tabs in this building behave, in interaction with other other tab-affecting addons. In a fresh profile, all seems fine. In my case, though, it seems to conflict with some of the extensions I use (I guess it is tabmix plus), which results in an extra large foreground tab, overlapping with other inactive tabs.  Noname.png.fc8289d4b1d5c644f554d5ee7abf9551.png

Edited by dmiranda

19 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

The old version of Decentraleyes doesn't do much any more, I'm afraid.

Script assets are outdated.

Version 1.4.3
Updated on April 19, 2021

That could be an advantage: if the "current" script versions contain Googlisms incompatible with UXP, you'd get an "outdated" script that actually runs!

Edit: Poking around in the .xpi, it looks like you'd have to hack a few things to make that idea work. Still an interesting idea though.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 3/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, DanR20 said:

Currently using today's 55.0 and it looks like the web components was already added to these versions. What a massive improvement. Disabled the polyfill add-on and GitHub is rendering.

A nice side effect of this change for me is that I can now use GitHub/GitLab in multiprocess mode! (Palefill is incompatible with this mode, and so not installed in my multiprocess profile.) I no longer need to right-click those links and use "Open With" to open them in my single-process profile (and wait for a new Serpent instance to start up); a simple left-click now works as it should.

Unfortunately it hasn't fixed everything. Chase.com made a change a couple of weeks ago, after which I could no longer sign in. (It prompts for my user ID and password as always, but when I sign in, I now get the unhelpful message "It looks like this part of our site isn't working right now." I've had to switch to 360EE or MiniBrowser (both Chromium builds) to use Chase.com.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, Mark-XP said:

Now i wonder, if there's a qualified possibility to merge the S-55.0 bookmarks into the bookmarks of S-52.9.

Try this:

1. Ctrl-Shift-B to open the "All Bookmarks" window.
  2. Click "Import and Backup."
  3. Click "Export Bookmarks to HTML."
  4. Save your bookmarks.html file somewhere. Remember where you saved it.
  5. Close that browser; open the other one.
  6. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
  7. Click "Backup" and save a backup of your bookmarks in case something goes wrong.
  8. Click "Import and Backup" again, then "Import Bookmarks from HTML."
  9. Select the bookmarks.html file you saved in step 4.
  10. If things go haywire, click "Import and Backup," then "Restore" and restore the backup saved in step 7.

I think @VistaLover and @dmiranda are spot on.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:30 PM, VistaLover said:

Which is: Fade out tab label on overflow instead of ellipsis... although I'm not entirely sure why that is useful.

13 hours ago, dmiranda said:

There is definitively something worng with the way tabs in this building behave, in interaction with other other tab-affecting addons. In a fresh profile, all seems fine. In my case, though, it seems to conflict with some of the extensions I use (I guess it is tabmix plus), which results in an extra large foreground tab, overlapping with other inactive tabs.  Noname.png.fc8289d4b1d5c644f554d5ee7abf9551.png

It is Tab Mix Plus that has been broken. Installing the latest https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/ Pale Moon/Basilisk 0.5.8.4 version doesn't help. Which is a shame because TMP is a nice add-on.

For the moment I've sort of fixed things with this...

.tab-label[pinned]
    {
        width: 0 !important;
        margin-left: 0 !important;
        margin-right: 0 !important;
        padding-left: 0 !important;
        padding-right: 0 !important;
    }
    .tab-content
    {
       white-space: nowrap !important;
       overflow: hidden !important;
       text-overflow: ellipsis !important;
    }

...but it's by no means perfect especially if you start opening lots of tabs.

Ben.