My Browser Builds (Part 4)

37 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

@basilisk-dev and, mainly, @roytam1: Can this new feature ("Fade out tab label on overflow instead of ellipsis"), instead of being summarily axed, be restored behind a pref (I don't care whether it'd be true/false by default) in Basilisk/Serpent for those, like me, who actually prefer it? If the new code interferes with TMP (and the way to go would be for that to get fixed - if it's actually still maintained ;)), then it could be simply pref'ed off/disabled...

I do wonder if I can just port PM changes to BK. (can't find a time for this right now since $DAYJOB is still busy these days)

40 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

can't find a time for this right now since $DAYJOB is still busy these days

... But of course :) ; whatever you actually do for a living should always take precedence over anything else (including "volunteer" coding ;) ...) ; my query was about such an implementation's feasibility, mainly :P ...

44 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

I do wonder if I can just port PM changes to Bk.

... Again, as I see it myself, caution should be exercised here, because New Moon [28] tabs (pre-Fx29 code/design) are different to Serpent tabs (being Australis); unless you were simply referring to just the code pertaining to the pref's creation :dubbio:...

Just a heads up:

Besides nullish coalescing assignment (??=), a known UXP :realmad: "killer" currently, its "relative" logical AND assignment (&&=) has been let loose in the wild :angry: ; it, too, was first implemented in Fx 79 (Ch 85); what's worse, it triggers the very same console ERROR as (??=), i.e. :

Error: expected expression, got '='

:(

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

I do wonder if I can just port PM changes to BK. (can't find a time for this right now since $DAYJOB is still busy these days)

There have been a few features that I have ported from Pale Moon to Basilisk. Sometimes changes can be directly ported and sometimes they cannot. It depends on how complicated of a change it is. Usually smaller changes are portable, where large changes are not directly portable and need to be rewritten. It also depends on what part of the browser is being changed. Some parts of the browser work the same or similar to Pale Moon, whereas other features such as tabs work differently.

Edited by basilisk-dev
clarification

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Now, here comes "my" twist :P : Unlike the previous reporters who ALL use TMP (or one of its forks), I don't, so I haven't experienced any major breakage myself... I, personally, prefer tab-label-fading to ellipsis (...), has always been like that ever since Mozilla Firefox 53.0+ implemented it...

FWIW, Serpent 55, another browser maintained by @roytam1, has this feature as a default one, since Serpent 55 is based on moebius (aka UXP Take 1), a platform initially forked (by MCP) from a Mozilla 53.0a1 snapshot...

I'm running latest St52 (which, BTW, has all the WebComponents improvements merged-in, unlike latest Basilisk) and I do like the result :thumbup

Yes, I prefer the tab label fading feature rather than elipsis as well.

The WebComponents improvements are not ready, which is why they are not merged into Basilisk yet. There are bugs that are still being fixed. I generally do new releases around the same time as Pale Moon releases.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

The implementation by MCP applicable on PM (witn non-Australis) is enabled (by default) via pref "browser.tabs.fadeLabels" (also discussed in passing by previous, affected, posters); however, the implementation in dcb4e31 doesn't include such an "opt-out" :( (and I can confirm no such boolean pref exists by default inside St52's about:config).

Since this was initially a Firefox 53.0+ feature, I "presume" TMP and the like break now because they are programmed/configured NOT to expect it in an application advertising itself as Firefox 52.0; so, perhaps, the extension(s) can be modified/fixed to accommodate this new browser feature? You know how the saying goes: Extensions extend the browser, not vice-versa...

Official Basilisk v52.9.2023.03.07 has been now released, with the "feature" backed-out... 

@basilisk-dev and, mainly, @roytam1: Can this new feature ("Fade out tab label on overflow instead of ellipsis"), instead of being summarily axed, be restored behind a pref (I don't care whether it'd be true/false by default) in Basilisk/Serpent for those, like me, who actually prefer it? If the new code interferes with TMP (and the way to go would be for that to get fixed - if it's actually still maintained ;)), then it could be simply pref'ed off/disabled...

My original implementation was a direct backport from Firefox 53 so it is possible that the addon behaves differently between Firefox 52 and 53. I did not check the extension since I don't use it.

I plan to reimplement this feature using the same method that the Pale Moon team used (this should preserve backwards compatibility with addons). It will be togglable with a pref just like the Pale Moon feature.

22 minutes ago, basilisk-dev said:

I plan to reimplement this feature using the same method that the Pale Moon team used (this should preserve backwards compatibility with addons). It will be togglable with a pref just like the Pale Moon feature.

Much appreciated, looking forward to it :cheerleader:! Thanks in advance :) ...

21 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

My original implementation was a direct backport from Firefox 53

FYI, original Bugzilla 658467 (Fx53) had to be followed by 1357656 (Fx54 - they had messed up fading with RTL labels, e.g. in Hebrew) and, later, 1363033 (Fx55 - cosmetic enhancement); I guess both should be considered for inclusion in Bk/St52, too...

Edited by VistaLover

On 3/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, AstroSkipper said:

To control and change keyboard shortcuts in general, I used the extension dorando keyconfig in the past. I don't know if it is still compatible, but I think so. :) Here is a link:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/thunderbird/addon/dorando-keyconfig/ 
The last (legacy) version was 2018.1.

Thanks,  dorando keyconfig works great. I remap "Enter reader view" to F9 .  And I know why Ctrl+Alt+R did not work: my input method have right-Alt defined, and it explained that right-Alt = Ctrl+Alt .

On 3/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, AstroSkipper said:

To control and change keyboard shortcuts in general, I used the extension dorando keyconfig in the past. I don't know if it is still compatible, but I think so. :) Here is a link:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/thunderbird/addon/dorando-keyconfig/ 
The last (legacy) version was 2018.1.

I wonder if this can disable built-in shortcuts? I fear of hitting Ctrl-Shift-W(close window) when I just want to hit Ctrl-W(close tab).

8 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

The ability for toggling this preference is very much appreciated.:thumbup This way, each of us can decide for ourselves what kind of tab style is to be used. Many thanks for your efforts! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, luweitest said:

Thanks,  dorando keyconfig works great. I remap "Enter reader view" to F9 .  And I know why Ctrl+Alt+R did not work: my input method have right-Alt defined, and it explained that right-Alt = Ctrl+Alt .

You're welcome! I used this extension in the past, but currently it is not installed in my browser. It has always served me well. :)

3 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I wonder if this can disable built-in shortcuts? I fear of hitting Ctrl-Shift-W(close window) when I just want to hit Ctrl-W(close tab).

By using dorando keyconfig, you can disable any shortcuts listed in its window. d010.gif I installed it again for testing purpose. Look at my screenshot:

Serpent-52-Disable-shortcut.png

The shortcut Ctrl-Shift-W has been disabled by me in Serpent 52. You can revert this by clicking the button Reset or manually at any time, of course. Hope it works for you. :)

Cheers, gif_23.gifAstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

54 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

By using dorando keyconfig, you can disable any shortcuts listed in its window. d010.gif I installed it again for testing purpose. Look at my screenshot:

Serpent-52-Disable-shortcut.png

The shortcut Ctrl-Shift-W has been disabled by me in Serpent 52. You can revert this by clicking the button Reset or manually at any time, of course. Hope it works for you. :)

Cheers, gif_23.gifAstroSkipper

alright it is working! thanks for your suggestion!