My Browser Builds (Part 4)

Hello UCyborg,
You wrote:
"I use native user agent not containing "Firefox" and that seems to work fine."

My  native user agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:4.8) Goanna/20230922 PaleMoon/28.10.7a1
This user agent obviously does not contain "Firefox"
and it does not work.
But AstroSkipper's  settings for eMatrix work.

Nowhere did I say native user agent will solve the problem, I merely tried to suggest that user agent override as suggested by AstroSkipper is redundant in the case one is already using native user agent. Did not test the default one that adds Firefox string by default, it could be the override is also redundant in that case.

And that if one is already using uBlock Origin, it can be used instead of eMatrix. Just have to enable advanced settings, then the rule "allow only auf1.tv and gegenstimme.tv" can be implemented similarly. If you're blocking everything by default, including 3rd party resources (hard or medium mode), then it's allow those two domains, if you're allowing everything, then it's block domains other than those two.

Edited by UCyborg

Hello UCyborg,
You point out that
an additional  site-specific user agent override is not
required when using uBlock.
Concerning eMatrix (for Auf1.tv) I agree with you.

eMatrix by itself did it without an additional  site-specific user agent override.

Edited by anton12

4 hours ago, j7n said:

I think it's normal that the program hides or deletes previous visitations to the same address. I'm not looking for an incriminating log of activity within a certain period, but recent automatic bookmarks.

I think that makes sense, except ... if FF is written to display only the last visit to a given site, why then does it store previous visits at all? Seems like a huge waste of storage - not to mention a "treasure trove" for anyone with access to your PC who want to check up on you. (Think boss, spouse, police in countries or states with poor human rights records....) There can be a big difference in how much trouble you get in for visiting a Web site once vs. visiting it repeatedly, and I suspect most FF users are completely unaware that their history includes all visits to a Web site, complete with time stamps!

I know that you can avoid all this by using a private browsing window, but you may not think a site you're visiting is a problem - until you find out your boss or the cops disagree! Methinks it would be best for FF to err on the side of caution and only record the last visit to each site, unless they have some compelling reason not to.

6 hours ago, anton12 said:

eMatrix by itself did it without an additional  site-specific user agent override.

I wrote:

On 9/20/2023 at 11:12 PM, AstroSkipper said:

And try additionally this site-specific user agent override (SSUAO): Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0

@anton12 "Try additionally" doesn't mean that my provided SSUAO is required. When I checked your problematic website, I tested first a SSUAO without the string Goanna which sometimes causes troubles when loading certain websites. And my provided SSUAO doesn't harm, then it doesn't really matter. Use the native one or any other! The main thing is that the website works with it. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Hello AstroSkipper,
You write:

"Try additionally" doesn't mean that my provided SSUAO is required.

I completely agree with you !
I just meant to clear things up with UCyborg.

Edited by anton12

6 hours ago, j7n said:

I think it's normal that the program hides or deletes previous visitations to the same address.

Well, it is normal in Google/Apple World, where everything is fixed to the floor by nails.

In our world, it need to be selectable/configurable by User.

[cit. from] https://blog.mozilla.org/tanvi/2013/04/10/mixed-content-blocking-enabled-in-firefox-23/#comment-547

"Hint: No one smart enough to use a browser
besides what's bundled with their computer
will want to use one
that tries to hide controls from the users.
Stop trying to act like Apple."

6 hours ago, j7n said:

time will tell if the history grows bigger

To be sure, you can do periodic BAT/CMD snapshots.

If your NM is started by CMD with something like -

start palemoon.exe -no-remote -profile .\profile

you can add 3 new strings below -

sqlite3.exe places.sqlite .dump >> dump.sql
[your preferred archivator creating timestamped-named archive containing dump.sql]
del dump.sql

The resulting file dump.sql is plain text, so it can be
viewed by human
and
compared with previous/next one
by any line-comparing program
(text editors, f. e. MultiEdit, also have that function).

Desired in "moz_places" and "moz_historyvisits" parts of dump.sql:
nothing unique in older dump.sql (nothing deleted from history),
new entries/lines in newer dump.sql.

@anton12 Unfortunately, like I stated in my previous reply, the website you linked in your post displays like that to me in St52, so I can't really test in St52 for you if the interview video plays or not. This is under a clean St52 profile (which means I don't have any extensions installled), BTW. I apologize for any inconvenience I caused to you.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Ionly record the last visit to each site, unless they have some compelling reason not to.

The reason is history chain.
If nothing is deleted by URL
(delete by time is irrelevant),
it is possible to track all follow-ups/downs that took place.

Whether it (storage/track) is desired by User, or not,
depends on User.

P. S. My friend Yuriy Dmitriev was sentenced to total 15 years in prison,
and photos from his computer were used as evidences
(of course, real reason is his human-rights-protection activity).
I live in police state, so I fully agree with your concerns.

But I do not agree with your solution.
"Knowledge is power".
I prefer to have an instrument to deal with history,
rather than have no-usable/castrated history.
And note, there was a sufficient instrument,
at least for storage aspect - browser.history_expire*!

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

like I stated in my previous reply, the website you linked in your post displays like that to me in St52, so I can't really test in St52 for you if the interview video plays or not. This is under a clean St52 profile (which means I don't have any extensions installled),

... However, if you have just uBlockO-legacy installed, in the My Filters tab just create the one below:

! 2023-09 auf1.tv
||auf1.radio/api/get$xmlhttprequest,domain=auf1.tv

Then, the auf1.tv embedded video player will stay put in St52, too (otherwise, it starts to load, displays briefly and then moves out of sight :(, resulting in the image you attached in your "previous reply;) )

OAqpuvn.png

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

if FF is written to display only the last visit to a given site, why then does it store previous visits at all? Seems like a huge waste of storage.

Perhaps the author forgot that the browser is overall quite wasteful and that the list is managed by a database, but vaguely remembered that adding an entry to the end of a list is simpler than deleting one and shifting the remaining entries into the freed space. So he had a bright idea to save some writes and processor.

18 hours ago, Fritz_Geiger said:

I prefer to have an instrument to deal with history,

Run your profiles on ram, and have a fit to your taste places.sqlite (or of all the files you want to be always the way you like them in your profile) copied into the profile folder (using a bat file, for instance).

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... However, if you have just uBlockO-legacy installed, in the My Filters tab just create the one below:

! 2023-09 auf1.tv
||auf1.radio/api/get$xmlhttprequest,domain=auf1.tv

Then, the auf1.tv embedded video player will stay put in St52, too (otherwise, it starts to load, displays briefly and then moves out of sight :(, resulting in the image you attached in your "previous reply;) )

OAqpuvn.png

Thank you, but I don't have uBO Legacy installed either.