My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

So, I have something(s) modified inside my about:config settings that restores the image-related context-menu entries; but, which something(s) ??? :dubbio:

@j7n : It was

dom.forms.button.standards_compliant

Toggle that to false and then restart Serpent 52 (this is important); you should then be able to invoke the image-related CM entries I talked about :whistle:; NB: Use of an adblocker is advised on Discogs; when I was testing in Safe Mode, I noticed increased CPU consumption :angry: ...

Edited by VistaLover

6 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

What build environment are you using? What OS/MSVC/etc?

... Unless things have changed from 2019 ;) :

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-browser-builds-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1169577

[ https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-browser-builds-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1170787 ]

The OS is definitely Win7 SP1 x64, with ample RAM... As for MS Visual Studio, either 2015 or 2017, nothing newer :huh: ...

I believe VS2017, up-to-a-version (?), would've allowed to install the v141_xp toolset (enables compilation of apps that can run on XP+; the default for VS2017 is NT 6.0, I think :dubbio:) ...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49516896/how-to-install-build-tools-for-v141-xp-for-vc-2017

Edited by VistaLover

9 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

The OS is definitely Win7 SP1 x64, with ample RAM... As for MS Visual Studio, either 2015 or 2017, no newer...

I see, according to the UXP issue MS Visual Studio 2017 works with C++14. If they decide to upgrade to C++14 then Visual Studio 2017 can continue to be used.

If they go with C++17 then I only see two routes forward:

* Switch to mingw/fix mingw builds

* backport changes from upstream to work on C++14

For some background on their decision for switching to a newer C++ standard, a major reason that they switched to Visual Studio 2022 in the first place was so that they could switch to newer C++ versions.

Hi guys. Not that important, but I wanted to tell you that I'm testing that Chrome recommended pages ago under Windows 7.

I find it ironic that it's called ungoogled since there's no way to remove _oogle as a search engine and add, say, DuckDuckGo! I also couldn't find a way to install any extensions.

A downer... since browsing is fast and it seems very light on resources.

I'm starting to test Waterfox Classic. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I also couldn't find a way to install any extensions.

(offtopic)

Use the "chromium-web-store" extension. :)

(Read the Readme.md first)

However note, that Chromium 109 is the last version that supports Windows 7, so you'll be exposed to security vulnerabilities!

Search engines here:

chrome://settings/searchEngines

10 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

However note, that Chromium 109 is the last version that supports Windows 7, so you'll be exposed to security vulnerabilities!

I'm not saying you are wrong about security vulnerabilities, but this shouldn't be a problem IMO, the main concern is its compatibility with websites.

Edited by mina7601

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/2262

Apparently they will first go from C++11 to C++14 for the next milestone, and they will see a bit later for C++17.

C++14 should be fine for XP builds for now, so roy has more time to figure out what to do.

Nice to see a polite discussion about XP, It can be felt than the tension has settled down which is a good thing for everyone given the past griefs.

2 hours ago, RamonUn said:

Nice to see a polite discussion about XP, It can be felt than the tension has settled down which is a good thing for everyone given the past griefs.

Indeed refreshing.

@i430VX

Just a heads up - your browser installer stopped working recently with Serpent.  It says "not retrieving"...  I think the download URLs changed.  Cheers and thanks.

oops, I didn't actually check to see if there was a newer build - which there isn't...  So your installer is still working fine.  Please disregard.

Edited by mockingbird

On 6/22/2023 at 1:08 AM, nicolaasjan said:

(offtopic)

Use the "chromium-web-store" extension. :)

(Read the Readme.md first)

Search engines here:

chrome://settings/searchEngines

Hiya there Nico. Thanks for your assistance.

I tried to change the way 360chrome handles extensions but the section where the flags should be does not match what the readme file says. I assume this is because I am running Win7 and not XP.

Regarding changing search engines, I've been there. I was unable to remove _oogle as the default search engine in any way. Although I was able to add DuckDuckGo! manually, I could not find a way to switch search engines. I've searched for buttons, I've tried using drag-n-drop.... I've tried everything but couldn't. I'm sending you a screenshot. Maybe there is a way and I am not being able to see it?

Another good news regarding 360chrome is that WhatsAppWeb works! Not so in Waterfox Classic. As I said, I've been doing all this testing on Win7, so I'll do the same tests on XP in a while and I'll publish the results.

360chrome.jpg

13 minutes ago, chermany4ever said:

I tried to change the way 360chrome handles extensions but the section where the flags should be does not match what the readme file says.

Oh..., I thought you were asking about Ungoogled Chromium.

(See under"Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista... and old versions")

My instructions only apply to that browser.

The last stable version for Windows 7 is 109.0.5414.120

https://github.com/macchrome/winchrome/releases/tag/v109.5414.120-M109.0.5414.120-r1070088-Win64

360chrome is something completely different and I have no experience with it.

4 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I tried to change the way 360chrome handles extensions but the section where the flags should be does not match what the readme file says. I assume this is because I am running Win7 and not XP.

Regarding changing search engines, I've been there. I was unable to remove _oogle as the default search engine in any way

At first, I had NO idea what you were talking about !!!
"_oogle" ???  NEVER HEARD OF IT !!!

So thanks for the SCREENCAP because now I can see what you are talking about - it's GOOGLE, not "_oogle".
I thought maybe this "_oogle" thing was something Humming Owl came up with and not your "fear" of typing out Google.

The handling of extensions is ON PURPOSE - if you want the Chrome Web Store to communicate with Google (why would you if you label them as "_oogle") then you MUST use the REGULAR 360Chrome version and NOT the "ungoogled" 360Chrome version.
This is also true for Official Ungoogled Chromium, the Chrome Web Store is intentionally "broken".

Regarding search engines, set your Bing as DEFAULT then you can remove GOOGLE (default).

edit - ps: your enquiry regarding 360Chrome or any future enquires regarding Official Ungoogled Chrome should not be in Roytam's "My Browser Builds" thread.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames