Jump to content

My Browser Builds (Part 3)


Recommended Posts

@roytam1

The new PM27 version is now OK. Thanks! But it changed the enforced UserAgent  for the youtube (beginning with 27.10.0.win32-git-20210807). Now it uses the mobile version, which have a totally unusable interface (controls) for PC users. I recommend to revert it. I think, it is not recommended to use mobile version for multimedia sites in PC because of the possible different controls. Youtube seems to work perfectly with Firefox 52.9 UserAgent (I changed it to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9 Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9) (Pale Moon)").

Edited by PPeti66x
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Proton Mail is the favorite of security conscious people (despite that it requires a phone number on registration and looks business-oriented). The web interface is incredibly slow when doing anything in old Firefox. Enter something in the login box, and it will use up one Conroe cpu core. Same when browsing the folders, until it finishes churning through something. The usability is worse than Facebook and YouTube. Is there something in particular that can be en/disabled to speed it up?

Edited by j7n
Link to comment
Share on other sites

j7n,

I registered an account (free plan) at Protonmail a couple of days ago, didn't have to supply a phone number or a backup mail.

I used Mypal 29.3.0, no problems with the captcha test or accessing the mailbox.
Just tried Protonmail with roytam1's New Moon 28(2021-07-30), no problems at all.

You're not alone, maybe some tips here:
https://forum.palemoon.org/search.php?keywords=protonmail&sid=3950fce43da51eb20f292b1030395722

BTW, don't ask any questions there about Pale Moon forks and XP, Moonchild and Tobin will explode...:realmad:

Thinkpad T43/2 GHz/2GB RAM/Radeon X300/XP Pro SP3/line speed 100/100.
.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PPeti66x said:

@roytam1

The new PM27 version is now OK. Thanks! But it changed the enforced UserAgent  for the youtube (beginning with 27.10.0.win32-git-20210807). Now it uses the mobile version, which have a totally unusable interface (controls) for PC users. I recommend to revert it. I think, it is not recommended to use mobile version for multimedia sites in PC because of the possible different controls. Youtube seems to work perfectly with Firefox 52.9 UserAgent (I changed it to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9 Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9) (Pale Moon)").

with previous user agent string, I found the UI unresponsive when loading youtube.

if you think fx52 user agent is working for you, you can keep it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@roytam1

Yes, it is true: the mobile version works faster, but it is different, and restricts video quality to 720p. I retested it, now it was OK. Previously I was unable to pause the video (pause not worked as intended), also have problems with changing the video position (I do not known, why it was wrong then, nothing was changed except UserAgent). In overall, I still prefer the normal interface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the captcha has been replaced with telephone verification because I didn't see a captcha at all. I've heard all about the lack of tolerance on the Pale Moon forum, and am not even registered there.

I can login, but it takes a long time on a slower processor. It seems to do a lot of "cosmetic" drawing onto the screen. When I alt-tab back to the program, I see the screen redrawing slowly in small regions as the waiting animation spins. The GUI is not only slow, but also small and can't be used to move/delete mail in bulk. I have to wait on every letter to delete it.

Now that you mention it: hCAPTCHA doesn't come up on other sites in New Moon 28. But it works in Serpent. Surprisingly, it also works in Opera 12. I thought it was a "good" captcha because of this, and becasue it is not owned by Google.

Edited by j7n
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Help me please with <link rel="preconnect"> thing

Roytams browsers and original firefoxes do not connect as they ignore it at all,

Otherwise my browsers do the action and connects, but i did nothing about it and did not care, until found that ublock also ignores preconnect tags so allows unwanted connections.

I checked chrome with its ublock too, theres is same as with my browsers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, grey_rat said:

Browsec 2.0.7.2 (unofficial)

Thanks, but how is this better to browsec-3.16.16 (and 3.16.16.2_unofficial) ? :dubbio:
I visited the link posted (and used machine translation to read it ;) ), that post doesn't make it clear for me...

I then went on to try it in latest St52 [v52.9.0 (2021-08-20) (32-bit)] ; clicking the toolbar button just toggles the extension (and connection) ON/OFF, there's no apparent way I can choose one of the four available "free" locations (NL, SG, UK, US), as the extension always defaults to the Dutch (NL) server... :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, Skorpios said:

j7n,

I registered an account (free plan) at Protonmail a couple of days ago, didn't have to supply a phone number or a backup mail.

I used Mypal 29.3.0, no problems with the captcha test or accessing the mailbox.
Just tried Protonmail with roytam1's New Moon 28(2021-07-30), no problems at all.

You're not alone, maybe some tips here:
https://forum.palemoon.org/search.php?keywords=protonmail&sid=3950fce43da51eb20f292b1030395722

BTW, don't ask any questions there about Pale Moon forks and XP, Moonchild and Tobin will explode...:realmad:

Thinkpad T43/2 GHz/2GB RAM/Radeon X300/XP Pro SP3/line speed 100/100.
.

A quick search for 'MyPal' on Palemoon's forums showed an extreme amount of toxicity and hate, why? I think the above linked 'issue' on Github is related as well, they seem to be acting from a personal vendetta against anything that uses any code from Palemoon. I don't understand why they don't go proprietary if they hate others building upon Palemoon so much?

why.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

I have already reported strange security issues on mypal in centaury here that we have not on Newmoon:no:

You disable in about:config "beacon" and it says it is enabled in the tests on "browserleaks".

Edited by IXOYE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, XP2003 said:

A quick search for 'MyPal' on Palemoon's forums showed an extreme amount of toxicity and hate, why?

I never visit their site and hadn't realized it was "that" bad.

The "why" is because too many people don't know the difference between "Pale Moon" and "palemoon".

Look at the LINKS when you download a Roytam build - the link has "palemoon" right in it even if the "about" page might say something different.

And Roytam released BNav before the project that it stems from was even released - if I have the history correct.  Isn't BNav based on Binary Outcast's Borealis Navigator?  Don't know on this.

So it all comes down to "branding".

But feodor2's Mypal followed all of the rules there, so not sure why Mypal is now lumped in with "palemoon".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member



×
×
  • Create New...