RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

How current is the browser for modern rendering?

:)

I've tried it myself and I find it mediocre personally. It will get the job done and all, but if you browse this website there will be glitches everywhere. I'm sure its a lot better than any browser for Windows 95 though :)
I appreciate the fact that someone on the internet is making an effort to improve web browsing on legacy OSes!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

• 3 weeks later...

RetroZilla is certainly a great project. I put it up on '98SE today, just to see it go. It does, but like FF 3.6 (etc.) it only renders the simplest web sites. FF 8.0.1 with KernelEx is far better.

A thought about priorities: Reading back over all the comments here, there's quite a bit about features, details of what RZ would support and so on. I would argue for going wide rather than detailed: Get RZ to the point where it runs on 9x in some manner -- with/without KEX, even under 98SE2ME, whatever BUT IT WILL RENDER IN A USEFUL MANNER VIRTUALLY EVERY SITE ON THE WEB. Tolerate a few glitches -- FF 47 that I'm running as I type this doesn't render MSFN correctly in every detail but it does get the job done.

The critical resource is the 9X user base -- at most a few 10's of thousands now. THERE IS NO BROWSER for those systems that will let you do even nearly all of the web routinely: 9X is thus a niche and 'I have this old software that won't run on ...' system. As time goes by, those users are going away and when they do they won't come back just because a do-all RZ has arrived.

I suppose one could write some sort of browser for Win 3.1. And when you got it going, how many copies would ever even be d/'led, let alone run? The user base is GONE -- and for very good reason.

Right now, FF 8.0.1 with KernelEx is the best I can find for 98SE. Opera versions I've tried render LESS though they seem quicker. But one of my tests for a browser is DISQUS comments, and FF 8 seems to hang attempting to load them.

Go broad -- get the maximum number of web sites MOSTLY working and you'll have a user base. 9X ARE good systems for many modern uses for the more techie among us. THEN work on feature details, fixes for small errors of rendering, and folding all the support (from KeX, etc.) inside.

We'll be eagerly awaiting RZ 3 and if it matches or betters FF 8 I'd guess a whole lot of us will put it into service the day it arrives.

Edited by waltah
Add stuff

Opera 12.10 runs in the backround only without the GUI on 98SE/ME if using Kext or iphlpapi4 on 98SE:( . I never read that somebody was able to run 12.10+ Presto. The snapshot 12.5 1538 is the latest that works without plugins.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, CamTron said:

It's been almost a year since the last commit on GitHub.

oh no, he hasn't even visited the forum since February! :no:

lets hope he comes back and at least gives an update on the project.

maybe someone out there will pick it up? (I might, but currently i'm no good with coding and busy with school)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 5:18 AM, Mr.Presario said:

maybe someone out there will pick it up? (I might, but currently i'm no good with coding and busy with school)

RIP

On 8/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, Mr.Presario said:

Actually the guy left the project not too long ago if I'm correct. If you look around on the web you'll see his post explaining his reasoning. But it doesn't mean other people cannot pickup where he and some others left off. There is much work to do as we can all tell.