StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

I'm the only one having problems when trying to launch something as Administrator? For example I type powershell, right click and then Run as Administrator and I get this Popup error

This program does not have a file associated with it for performing this action.

Only happens if I use the search, works ok if I go to All apps, Powershell etc...

I just tried PowerShell using SiB's search and run as Admin and it worked fine for me.  Just looking for information:  you are getting the yes/no prompt for elevation, or you're not getting that too?

By the way (as a workaround) you know you can 1) set PowerShell as default in right-click menu instead of Command Prompt, and 2) you can right click the Start Button and choose either PowerShell or PowerShell as Admin from there?  What happens if you do that, does it work right?

No prompt asking for elevation, just an error with Accept button. It happens with almost all executables for example Notepad++

lYCKDLT.png

Sounds like you got some other problem going on unrelated to SiB.  What happens if you try the same thing from the Start Screen?

Maybe try a "Reset this PC" from the Action Center/All Settings/Update & Security.

I have the Windows search(The one next to start) completely disabled so I can't try that.

SiB has an option to add a Start screen shortcut to the top of SiB's Start Menu.  I think there's other ways of opening the original Windows 10 start menu, but I'd have to look in SiB's configuration for that.  If you enable the Start screen shortcut, click it to go to the Start screen, type Powershell and right-click to run as Admin, does the same thing happen?

No matter what, I'd say either a Reset or a fresh reinstall was in order.

I'm the only one having problems when trying to launch something as Administrator? For example I type powershell, right click and then Run as Administrator and I get this Popup error

This program does not have a file associated with it for performing this action.

Only happens if I use the search, works ok if I go to All apps, Powershell etc...

I just tried PowerShell using SiB's search and run as Admin and it worked fine for me.  Just looking for information:  you are getting the yes/no prompt for elevation, or you're not getting that too?

By the way (as a workaround) you know you can 1) set PowerShell as default in right-click menu instead of Command Prompt, and 2) you can right click the Start Button and choose either PowerShell or PowerShell as Admin from there?  What happens if you do that, does it work right?

No prompt asking for elevation, just an error with Accept button. It happens with almost all executables for example Notepad++

lYCKDLT.png

Sounds like you got some other problem going on unrelated to SiB.  What happens if you try the same thing from the Start Screen?

Maybe try a "Reset this PC" from the Action Center/All Settings/Update & Security.

I have the Windows search(The one next to start) completely disabled so I can't try that.

SiB has an option to add a Start screen shortcut to the top of SiB's Start Menu.  I think there's other ways of opening the original Windows 10 start menu, but I'd have to look in SiB's configuration for that.  If you enable the Start screen shortcut, click it to go to the Start screen, type Powershell and right-click to run as Admin, does the same thing happen?

No matter what, I'd say either a Reset or a fresh reinstall was in order.

I can't use search because I have Windows without that packages so it's impossible to try that in my case. Well it's not a big problem for me so I'm going to let that the way it is now. Thanks for reply ;)

Hello Tihiy,

I have installed today the aeroglass in windows 10, build 10240. And now I have problems with startisback:

- out of memory when I open properties

- orb disappeared

WPTLu2p.pngMGWCSXt.pngr9c0tjv.png

How can I fix this problem?

Edited by gsilvap

Hello Tihiy,

I have installed today the aeroglass in windows 10, build 10240. And now I have problems with startisback:

I would take a guess to uninstall aeroglass you're referring to, or whatever you have to do to put Windows 10 back in the state it was before installing it.

Hello Tihiy,

- out of memory when I open properties

- orb disappeared

WPTLu2p.pngMGWCSXt.pngr9c0tjv.png

This is because your using a Windows 8 theme and it doesn't contain all the correct resources including the start button, you need to update your Windows 8 theme or use a Windows 10 theme.

To update the theme you will need to add the TaskbarPearl Class and then export the start button images from a fresh windows 10 theme, then you will need to copy the properties and add the images to the Windows 8 theme, after that your still going to have allot of missing properties and classes as well as outdated extra ones that should be removed so probably best to just wait for a complete windows 10 theme or ask the author to update it.

Hi Tihiy,

Glad to see you have not remained silent and have created this for Windows 10. I am not sure why, but somehow I remembered you said there will not be a version for Windows 10.

I have one issue and one request. At some point, "All Programs" menu became empty:

xbba8n.jpg

Also, if possible, please create an animation for the start menu, for consistency sake with other Windows 10 popups. 

Thanks,

Leo

Hi Tihiy,

Glad to see you have not remained silent and have created this for Windows 10. I am not sure why, but somehow I remembered you said there will not be a version for Windows 10.

He said something like that in a very early stage, after it became known that Microsoft would re-introduce the start menu in Windows 10.

But then it became clear that it was not going to be the same start menu as we hoped for (Windows 7 style), so my guess is that Tihiy decided it was worth releasing StartIsBack for Windows 10. 

Personally I'm very happy with it. 

Cheers.

Please welcome on the stage again: the Start menu which refused to die!

StartIsBack++ is the all-new StartIsBack version for Windows 10.

OsYU9gi.png

What's hot about StartIsBack on Windows 10 now?

- Live badges for modern apps on taskbar and Start menu! 

- Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching

- Ability to use adequately sized (32x32) large icons and larger start menu button on taskbar

- Modern icon glyphs on Start menu right hand pane

- Modern blur, drop shadow and immersive context menus for start menu

- Fully dynamic DPI aware start menu and configuration app

- New modern style with round user picture

- Lots of new minor additions and tweaks 

Is the issue where if you remove an app from the frequently launched apps in the start menu left pane, it would never come back again even if you run that app many times?

Example: You have CCleaner which appears on the left frequently launched programs, but for now you decice you don't ever need it there so you right click on it and choose, remove from this list

later on you decide ok if I do launch it a few times, let it be there........so you run it 2 or 3 or 5 times, but it would never go back to the list unless you manually pin it there which is not the normal behavior of the Windows 7 start menu, any app which is launched frequently should go back to that frequently opened list........

I stopped using StartIsBack a while back because of this and am currently using Classic Shell which doesn't have this bug......

Please advice.

Hi Tihiy,

I have one issue and one request. At some point, "All Programs" menu became empty:

xbba8n.jpg

Also, if possible, please create an animation for the start menu, for consistency sake with other Windows 10 popups. 

Thanks,

Leo

Second this. A slide-out animation would be perfect!

I also had the issue where entries from PC Settings wouldn't show up in search. I got it working but the method used wasn't exactly a fix. I removed all the libraries (Music, Pictures, Videos and Downloads) from the indexing list and then I rebuilt the search index, just in case (My search index file was almost 1 GB in size!)

That did the trick. Maybe the files from the libraries were getting prioritized over the PC Settings entries, I don't know.

---

I decided to experiment a bit, so I added back the Pictures, Videos and Downloads folders (but not Music, too many files) and waited until the index updated. So far so good. Nope.

When I turned on the computer today the problem came back. I had to remove the libraries and reboot.

Edited by rpsgc

The Connexion button on the right panel open nothing (French version)

Confirmed, same here in English.

Noting open when clicking on Connexion button (Windows 10 - LTSB version) (Startisback++ 1.0.3)