StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

I can't open settings, weather, or maps. I get an explorer.exe error "This file does not have a program associated with it" popup. This is becoming tiresome. I have used this software since Windows 8. Originally, I had a reboot issue after running sfc /scannow-but that was due to oldnewexplorer.  I have clean installed three times and the problem remains.If I disable SIB++1.03, the issue goes away. Has anyone else have this issue? I've emailed support, but have not received a response. I do realize there is only one person in support.

Wondering if anyone here like me has to re-apply "Do not prelaunch SearchUI" from time to time. Not sure what is the real reason causing this, SIB update or Windows updates. 

Strange! I have had to re-apply this options at least 6 or 7 times already! I don't look at the Task Manager all the time but when I do I sometimes see Search.UI and Cortana and Windows Feedback as well. I never click on them on Start Menu > Start Apps, however. 

Strange! I have had to re-apply this options at least 6 or 7 times already! I don't look at the Task Manager all the time but when I do I sometimes see Search.UI and Cortana and Windows Feedback as well. I never click on them on Start Menu > Start Apps, however. 

Well, I do have other tweaks going on through the free O&O ShutUp10, so who knows - without them perhaps I would observe the same thing.

Gosh, it seems that Start Screen shortcut is the culprit!

Just clicked on it and found Search.UI running. Perhaps modern apps need this search to work well, do you think so? Will try it again tomorrow with Store because don't want to restart Windows now.

About that application you posted, I don't think I will use it. Looks a little complicated to me! But thanks for suggesting anyway.

-----------------

I forget to tell you this. When I said I had to re-apply the option, I meant it was always checked but SearchUI was running at the same time. So, I had to uncheck and then check it again to hit the Apply button.

Edited by Aloha

Running applications from folder Start apps doesn't wake up SearchUI. Searching through the Store doesn't make it run either. Guess I'll have to remove Start screen shortcut from Start menu for a while.

I won't touch those packages by using some commands by myself! Thanks for all the replies to my problem so far.

I'm the only one having problems when trying to launch something as Administrator? For example I type powershell, right click and then Run as Administrator and I get this Popup error

This program does not have a file associated with it for performing this action.

Only happens if I use the search, works ok if I go to All apps, Powershell etc...

Edited by w10s

I'm the only one having problems when trying to launch something as Administrator? For example I type powershell, right click and then Run as Administrator and I get this Popup error

This program does not have a file associated with it for performing this action.

Only happens if I use the search, works ok if I go to All apps, Powershell etc...

I just tried PowerShell using SiB's search and run as Admin and it worked fine for me.  Just looking for information:  you are getting the yes/no prompt for elevation, or you're not getting that too?

By the way (as a workaround) you know you can 1) set PowerShell as default in right-click menu instead of Command Prompt, and 2) you can right click the Start Button and choose either PowerShell or PowerShell as Admin from there?  What happens if you do that, does it work right?

Edited by roirraWedorehT

I just tried PowerShell using SiB's search and run as Admin and it worked fine for me.  Just looking for information:  you are getting the yes/no prompt for elevation, or you're not getting that too?

By the way (as a workaround) you know you can 1) set PowerShell as default in right-click menu instead of Command Prompt, and 2) you can right click the Start Button and choose either PowerShell or PowerShell as Admin from there?  What happens if you do that, does it work right?

No prompt asking for elevation, just an error with Accept button. It happens with almost all executables for example Notepad++

lYCKDLT.png

Looks like only happens with shortcuts (.lnk)

Edited by w10s

No prompt asking for elevation, just an error with Accept button. It happens with almost all executables for example Notepad++

lYCKDLT.png

Sounds like you got some other problem going on unrelated to SiB.  What happens if you try the same thing from the Start Screen?

Maybe try a "Reset this PC" from the Action Center/All Settings/Update & Security.

Edited by roirraWedorehT

lYCKDLT.png

Sounds like you got some other problem going on unrelated to SiB.  What happens if you try the same thing from the Start Screen?

Maybe try a "Reset this PC" from the Action Center/All Settings/Update & Security.

I have the Windows search(The one next to start) completely disabled so I can't try that.