"Slipstreamable" Intel Chipset INF Drivers

That ATK0110 that apears as an unknown device has a driver in some package at the ASUS site but I don't know if it's 9x compatible. I have a few old packages in my CD collection: one for a M2V-MX SE board, another in ASUS Probe II v10405 for the M2NPV-VM board and another in Cool'n'quiet v21706 for the K8V-MX-S board. May be available for other boards too. It's related to ACPI.

EDIT:

Files in my packages say ATK2000.cat and ATK2000.inf so I'm not 100% positive it's the same thing but it may be.

Edited by Drugwash

[...] unless one installs 98SE using "SETUP /P I" to disable ACPI. This usually clears such problems, but may cause you to have to manually switch off your machine after Shutdown similar to an older AT-powered machine (you will get the "it is now safe to turn off your computer" screen).

If one sets BootGUI=0 at MSDOS.SYS, then starts Win 9x by running WIN.COM in AUTOEXEC.BAT, one can add an APM shutdown command for after Win 9x has finished, because then the batch file will resume, although not visibly, because the screen will be showing the "Safe to Turn Off" screen.

Try this one (it'll just print a message about APM missing and fail to turn it off, in case the machine is ACPI only, as the newer machines use to be):

APMOFF.7z

I use a MSI 915P Combo FR (MS-7058) for many years. The device manager shows exclamation marks at two of six motherboard resources. In my experience it isn't a problem. ACPI is enabled!

1.  motherboard resources conflicts with 

E/A 0060-0060 used by Standard or Microsoft Nat. Keyboard

E/A 0064-0064 used by Standard or Microsoft Nat. Keyboard 

2.  motherboard resources conflicts with 

memory area E0000000-EFFFFFFF  used by motherboard resources 

No conflict with:

Intel 82802 Firmware Hub-Device

INF File    MACHINE2.INF

Hardware ID    ACPI\*INT0800, *INT0800

Edited by schwups

There is another weird thing. The "IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator" states that it uses no known configuration.

<snikt>

7) Return once more to Device Manager -> System Devices and select the "IO Read Data Port for ISA

PnP Management", go to Properties -> Resources. If it says "The resources this device is using do not

match any of its known configurations..." click on "Set Configuration Manually". There may be a conflict

on the addresses of the Input/Output Range 0374-0377. Click on Change Settings and select a new

range from the list that shows "No devices are conflicting" in the Conflict information box (usually

0384-0387), click OK, OK, and reboot.

<snikt>

:angel 

From: http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/atk0110-acpi-utlility-driver.html

ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver 2.03.14 (AI Booster)

Never look for drivers again. Download the latest version of any driver now

Description:

The ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver package is part of a system tool installed on Asus computers. Included with Asus computers is AIBooster - a program designed to help speed up Asus systems. Many users are unaware of this program on their computer and most times it is not until Windows is reinstalled that you start getting the ATK0110 ACPI missing driver message. Its rather cryptic description doesn't reveal that it is actually part of the AIBooster program. You may or may not want AIBooster on your system, but sometimes it can be hard to shake the driver warning message. This download package will install both AIBooster and its ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver (version 2.03.14). This should remove the error message and allow you properly run AIBooster should you choose to do so.

In case you are wondering: AIBooster is an overclocking tool designed to run winthin Windows. The missing driver message may suddenly appear on a computer that never had the issue before: this is generally a result of a new installation of Windows (such as upgrading from Windows XP to Vista). Asus generally include AIBooster and the ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver as part of their recovery disk sold with the computer, so the missing driver error message will appear when you use a normal Windows installation disk (and not the Asus recovery disk). The other common cause is that AIBooster was removed at some point but the system still identifying some remnant part of the program and wants the driver.

Applies to:

Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows 2000 running on an Asus Computer

Author/Supplier:

Asus

Category:

utilities

Requirements:

Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows 2000

File Size:

5.1MB

File Name:

AIBooster_V20314.zip

Download:

ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver 2.03.14 (AI Booster)

Rating:

3.5/5 from 20 reviews.

If one sets BootGUI=0 at MSDOS.SYS, then starts Win 9x by running WIN.COM in AUTOEXEC.BAT, one can add an APM shutdown command for after Win 9x has finished, because then the batch file will resume, although not visibly, because the screen will be showing the "Safe to Turn Off" screen.

Try this one (it'll just print a message about APM missing and fail to turn it off, in case the machine is ACPI only, as the newer machines use to be):

Interesting, I didn't know that's possible to run some DOS command after shutdown. Is is possible also with automatic windows start? If I will call win.com explicitly in autoexec.bat will it then continue next lines after shutdown?

There's FDAPM utility by Eric Auer, that can shutdown a PC both APM/ACPI ways. If no APM detected then it parse ACPI table to learn how to shutdown it. The command is fdapm /poweroff

Unfortunatelly due to latest unofficial nvidia drivers bug the windows doesn't reach the shutdown screen so I use reboot instead. If I want to shutdown automatiucally I create a flag file before reboot, then reboot windows at some event and when it boots again I check the presence of flag file on C:\ and if the file exists I will delete it and perform fdapm /poweroff. As flag file was deleted it will boot normally on next power on...

When you reach the "It's now safe to turn off your computer", if you type blindly "mode co80 <Enter>" (or elde just put it on the line below "win" in the autoexec.bat), you'll get the command prompt back. But it MUST have been started with the win command, and have the  BootGUI=0 in MSDOS.SYS, or it won't work.

Hi, after a day messing around I finally managed Win98 USB 2.0 to work. I went to backup of my W98 install on old P31 board, copied in all machine*.inf files and let redetect the HW again. What a surprise, both EHCI, root hubs and generic hubs was detected fine but I got a BSOD after detection of SB audigy. When I disabled it the USB 2.0 works fine (with existing nUSB 3.3d I used before). Even the plugged devices was automatically detected in systray! I got high speed about 18MB/s when copying from USB flash, fine... But no sound, this suxx...

So I give one more try, again restore the backup, infs and redetect. It seems that the process is a bit random like Win98 plays Motne Carlo with me (and the PnP). This time the USB stuff was detected fine, Soundcard was detected fine but I was unable to install NDIS driver for ethernet adapter RTL8111E (that worked for me before). When I browsing devmgr I didn't see any resource conflist but found that one EHCI has shared IRQ with the eth.NIC. So I tried to disable this EHCI and after some further messing I was finally able to install DOS NDIS driver and use it with Windows (it may have worse performance than 32b native drivers but still fine for normal browsing). If I reenable the second EHCI it worked for a while but I got a BSOD soon so I kept it disabled.

So finally I have most of peripherals working as expected, summary:

USB 2.0 - works 1/2 of available ports (only one EHCI active but at high speed and autodetection)

Sound - works with SBA2 native drivers

HDD/DVD - works with standard IDE controlled, speed is OK as BIOS supports DMA

network - limited support of RTL8111E by DOS NDIS driver but fine for general use

VGA - 7900GT/256M with latest nvidia beta drived works fine as before

Here's my fully expanded devmgr tree "screenshot".

The only remaining issue is that I cannot boot Win98 from my SSD attached to SATA3 port. It was discusses in this thread

I found that it's caused by BIOS bug or rather BIOS simplification of DMA logic that doesn't properly suports DMA on SATA3 ports in v86 mode. It hangs on any write disk access. And as Win98 switches to v86 mode and tried to write to disk it hangs. This effect also happen under DOS if some advanced memory manager like JEMM/QEMM/EMM386 is loaded and switch CPU in v86 mode. I found that it can be cured by installing J.R.Ellis DMA driver before or just after loading the memory manager and DOS then can write to SATA3 attached disk fine. But unfortunatelly this driver is not compatible with Win9x due to some Windows bugs and it only boots to desktop where explorer.exe crashes immediatelly. So as a workaround I moved my Win98 installation from C: (SSD, primary partition) to D: (HDD, primary partition) and then I need to run BIOS boot manager at boot to choose HDD to boot. It then become C: so no need to change paths and Windows boots fine. But it swap also some other driver letters that are not so important at this time for me.

Would the R.Loew SATA patch be related to this issue? I think that it would need a windows native SATA driver that will take DMA control over BIOS but intel didn't released any for PCH chipsets for Win9x of course. Maybe someone could write a drived based on UniATA opensource but I don't know how much are the disk driver models different from NT and how much effort it would be, probably unreal...

Edited by xrayer

I have no idea if the DOS Driver for RTL8111E can share Interrupts when used in Windows.

The limited Tenda Driver does appear to play nice.

My SATA Patch shoiuld take care of Windows.

The problems you have been seeing with EMM386 suggest that you might have your SATA 3 Controller set to AHCI mode.

I am truly amazed at how poorly written BIOS AHCI Drivers are. They seem to be intended only to Boot Windows and little more.

Thank you !!

There is another weird thing. The "IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator" states that it uses no known configuration.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\ACPI\*INT0800]

"DeviceDesc"="Intel 82802 Firmware Hub Device"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\ACPI\ATK0110]

"HardwareID"="ACPI\\ATK0110"

"Class"="Unknown"

"DeviceDesc"="Unbekanntes Gerät"

Apparently Intel does not differentiate between the 82801 and 82802 Firmware Hub device since it is identified by *INT0800 rather than VID&PID.

My INFs are not designed to handle devices enumerated under ACPI, in fact I have seen some problems with this on my X58 system where devices will be treated as "unknowns" despite having a corresponding entry in the original 98SE MACHINE.INF. In any case this seems to be an ASUS specific device and therefore would never be handled by a specific Intel package.

The issue with the I/O port is normal. Remember these INFs only provide specific ID's for each device, not any special resource configurations.

Looks like otherwise your system is working as expected.

Interesting, although I'm not bothered by having to switch off. I used AT-powered computers long after ATX beacame the norm so I'm "used" to it I guess. Also I'm in the habit of switching off the main PSU switch after Shutdown, so either way it gets done.

INT0800 and ATK0110 are specific devices built into some Motherboards.

They are not relevant to Windows 9x so a Null Driver INF is needed to get rid of the unknowns.

The ISA Enumerator Port has been supplanted by LPC. It reports a different configuration that conflicts with other devices.

Apparently this is allowed so it reports no error and no Resources.

As per my self-quote above, the ISA enumerator port yellow bang is caused by a port range conflict and is solved by setting a non-conflicting port range by hand (by trial and error, among the possibilities offered). It's a long-time known issue, albeit it didn't become usual until the advent of those more recent boards, way back when.

After playing around with some of the files and drivers I found after the great help here the situation has somewhat changed although I am not sure if it was a progress.

The ATK has now moved to the system section in the device manager.

Unfortunately it is still listed as unknown and it is deactivated with this red cross in the icon. Manually enabling it does not work. After a reboot it is deactivated again.