"Slipstreamable" Intel Chipset INF Drivers

Read carefully M-D's notes on the usbstor.inf, particularly for NUSB2x, and his comments about it on-thread also (yeah, that's a lot of work, I know, sorry). IIRR, he used shortened strings and some other tricks to reduce character numbers with no info loss. He did not use "MS" for "Microsoft", IIRR, but could have, and it clearly illustrates the point, since "MS" is 2 characters long, while "Microsoft" is 9, not counting the inverted double quotation-marks, of course. Considering labels are an important part in the structure of .INFs, this approach goes a long way. But, besides that, he used yet another grouping trick which I do not quite remember details about (it has to do with entries containing strings like "PID_1XXX" and "PID_600X", though).

Did you experience any problems with ACPI?

I moved the Hard Disk with Win ME installed back into the i945G machine. All drivers (windows\inf\machine.inf, machine2.inf and MSHDC.inf) installed properly without problems. The look into the Windows System Information confirmed that. "DMA / I/O / IRQ / Memory" status is OK. "Problem Devices" aren't recognised.

I got my new board, I will test these files on G41+ICH7 setup once I get things going

EDIT:

I have not had much luck, most problems seem to come form inability to play nice with IDE and SATA stuff, even though I have compatibility mode enabled. I'll try just PATA HDD later, currently I am using a SATA drive with SATA stuff in IDE mode.

Edited by TmEE

It is RUBY-9719VG2AR

Currently I have had best results with AHCI setting on SATA ports, install went so quickly ! There does not seem to be whole lot of performance hit despite compatibility mode on the drives.

Anyway I'll keep on trying different methods.

• 2 weeks later...

schwups, how did you get through the install for 98SE or ME? Did you change a setting in the BIOS for the hard drive (compatibility mode)? Did you change the IDE channel settings like I did? Did you do something else?

I always set the ATA controller in the BIOS to Compatible. Usually I only use two devices and not more (HDD and CD/DVD Drive). I never had the need for 5 or more devices.

Fujitsu Siemens D2156 A1:

Phoenix BIOS - ATA Controller Config > SATA Mode > Compatible

Asus P5 KPL EPU:

AMI BIOS - Storage Configuration > ATA/IDE Configuration > Compatible

Edited by schwups

• 2 months later...

I am more than willing to store any kind of 9x related stuff. There's 700GB of space and no bandwidth limits, besides that I got only 20MBit upstream (and 150MBit downstream).

All served by Win98SE too :P

• 2 weeks later...

"The file C:\WININSTO.400\machine2.inf couldn't be opened. The file is missing or corrupted....SU0410".

Reproduced this error on a VM. I have removed some unnecessary entries for testing and it prevents the error on my VM.

This is the first such problem I have seen with an INF size smaller than 64KB. The real "limit" must lie somewhere in between 63KB and 64KB.

I did some experiments the other day to try and pin down the exact "INF size limit" in bytes. Unfortunately, an exact byte limit does not seem to be the problem. Apparently, any text coming after a "comment" ( ; ) is either NOT counted toward whatever limit is being triggered, or is counted differently than text that is not commented, so the actual file size byte count may not be a reliable indicator of whether the INF will work or not.

I removed similar amounts of "commented" and "uncommented" text from the earlier INF that had the problem, and got different results for each experiment despite the overall size reduction being similar.

More experiments might be revealing in the end, but it looks like this may be a "trial and error" issue for any future changes to this project or other INF projects.

Edited by LoneCrusader

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thread zombie resurrection... B)

I got a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R, P35, ICH9R. It has an RTL811B onboard, so one less add-on card

I'll try the inf files on that one during installation, and report.

I'll also try the JMicron 360 0.92 driver on the IDE-part of the JMicron 363 (euphemistically named "Gigabyte SATA2 controller"... :dubbio: ) Didn't work... :no:

I'll be using my new 7600GT PCIe 256MB on this... but that will most probably work with the 82.69...

I still had the installation from the P45/ICH10R board, and that one came up quite well. NUSB36 is working MOSTLY, i can work with USB3.0 sticks, just the eject-symbol in the taskbar does not come up. I'll still kill that installation, and start  from scratch, to test the inf files, and all that. That's it for tonight, see ya... :boring:

Because of that, research on GeForce 630a with Athlon II X4 has to wait a little bit more...

Edited by ragnargd