"Slipstreamable" Intel Chipset INF Drivers

v9.4.4.1006 link has (apparently) been pulled (ref xrayer initial post). Is this the same one?

http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=88〈=en

Interesting that the original link is gone. The package in the original was a .ZIP while the one you found is an .EXE. I haven't tried to unpack it but probably the same content anyway.

>LoneCrusader

this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets could give you some idea what ICH, MCH and CPUs belongs together but I think it's not needed to loose much time with it. I think that I googled a lot for the latest Win2k/XP compatible INFs so I doubt there's something newer than 9.4.4.1006...

I did an examination of that page along with several others. I think I managed to put it all in mostly good order. Since no one else has offered any suggestions on this point I guess I'll go with what I have.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131217103733/http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23411/eng/INF_allOS_9.4.4.1006_readme.txt

* Version: 9.4.4.1006

* Target SOC: Bay Trail-M/D SOC (formerly known as Valleyview2)

* Date: August 01 2013

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23061/eng/inf_9.4.0.1027_readme.txt

* Version: 9.4.0.1027

* Target PCH/Chipset: Xeon® processor E3-1200 v3,Intel® 4th Gen Core processor * Intel® 8 Series,C220 Series

* Date: September 02 2013

Version: 9.4.0.1027 as mentioned in the top post appears to be more recent (September 02) than Version: 9.4.4.1006 (August 01)

What Target should we be searching for?

Edit:

Then there's SuperMicro's

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X10_1.03_for_Intel_X10_platform/Intel/INF/Chipset_v9.3.2.1020/Releasenote_9.3.2.1020.htm

Intel® Chipset Device Software

9.3.2.1020 PV Release for IvyTown Brickland & Romley-refresh

Release Notes

March 6, 2014

with History and changelog from 2012-2014

And Intel's link for Intel desktop boards.

Dieter (alias Fernando) at Win-raid.com: Preliminary Notes regarding Intel's Chipset "Drivers"

And discussion: http://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html#msg15789

All INF files of the "Intel® Chipset Device Software" v9.4.4.1006 are dated 08/01/2013. Intel 7-Series chipset users, who want to get the "newest" INF files, should better take the "Intel® Chipset Device Software v9.3.2.1020, because all included INF files are dated 02/27/2014.

There also exist versions: 10.0.13, 14, 20 WHQL, 22, 24, 27

and v10.1.2.10 WHQL.

It appears that each version released by Intel is "extrapolated" based on some database they have and whatever commands are given. Some of the later versioned packages do indeed have files with earlier dates inside than files from the earlier package versions, however I'm not certain how much difference this makes. Sometimes the content is identical; sometimes there are small changes that have no effect on the necessary data (i.e. sections named "Intel_PCI_DRV" instead of "INTELPCI_DRV"); sometimes there are small changes in the device descriptions; and sometimes there are actually some new device VID&PID's added. One has to just compare the files to see what (if anything) has changed.

But ver 10.x is for Win7-10 only and it's reworked differently (useless).

I'm confused about intel's versioning systems. It seem's there are more INF packages targeted for different platforms but in fact they are mostly overlaping.

I see that version  from supermicro web 9.4.2.1019 is even newer dated April 25 2014

* Target CPU/PCH: Intel® Xeon® E5 v3/Core i7 / Intel® C610 series/X99 chipset

but it seems to be a mix of older INFs, e.g.

file couide2.inf:

DriverVer=07/25/2013, 9.2.0.1035

it's same as from package 9.3.2.1020

So probably there was only a few inf files added/updated...

update:

I compiled one zipped INF package with most of and latest versions of files collected from 9.x.x inf packages and uploaded it here http://ulozto.cz/xHLkZvUK/infxp944-zip (click "Stahnout", fill the captcha and click stahnout again)

Apparently some 10.x versions are not totally useless. I don't know where the change happens. The 10.x versions in this package do have device descriptions but I haven't figured out whether they have any newer devices or not yet since the format is completely different.

Thanks for the updated ZIP. Did you happen to compare the newer files inside to their older counterparts to see if there were actually any additions?

It would be nice to have a quick method of checking a batch of given files against my versions to see if any VID&PID combinations exist in a newer Intel package that are not already included. Of course this wouldn't handle situations where the descriptions change but given the later 10.x changes it probably won't matter as they are no longer even providing "descriptions."

Well, there actually seems to be a version of UNIATA for 9x, which was created by Xeno86 from Alter's sources from that time, just before Xeno86 gave up 9x/ME. While I've never had a copy of it, it seems Bearwindows either has it or knows who does. It's also possible that Alter himself does have a copy of it. Or maybe you can get it from Xeno86 himself, in case he still is reachable. In any case, it seems there were still some bugs in that version, that being the reason it was never released... then again you might try it, and maybe even get to fix those issues, in case you manage to get a copy of it. I didn't post about it before, because it seems to me to be little more than a legend, but seeing all your other options were already explored, I think it just fair that I make you aware of this story, in case you want to pursue it further. Of course, there's no guarantee whatsoever the driver I'm talking about is anything more than vaporware but, then again, it may even be usable... no way to know it unless you get a copy of it. Good luck!

I ran across a page a while back that barely mentioned the 9x build but it had a download link. The 9x package doesn't seem to actually contain the driver file though, "uniata.sys" that is present in the NT packages is not present in the 9x package and no other "expected" driver file types (VXD/PDR/etc) either. So the package is either incomplete or requires it to be manually compiled.

I don't remember the link but the file name is "driver_9x_39g1.rar".

I ran across a page a while back that barely mentioned the 9x build but it had a download link. The 9x package doesn't seem to actually contain the driver file though, "uniata.sys" that is present in the NT packages is not present in the 9x package and no other "expected" driver file types (VXD/PDR/etc) either. So the package is either incomplete or requires it to be manually compiled.

I don't remember the link but the file name is "driver_9x_39g1.rar".

I have that package, it contains the source code which indeed has to be compiled to get the actual driver file. There is however a debug version of the driver already compiled in the Debug folder, named IdeDma.sys (337,095 bytes dated 2008.07.04).

There is also a todo.txt file with a lot of entries.

Topic and download link here . Official homepage with latest (non-9x) version is here .

> LoneCrusader

> Thanks for the updated ZIP. Did you happen to compare the newer files inside to their older counterparts to see if there were actually any additions?

Most of the files of that three packages was the same and created in 2013. Only about 3 INF was updated - you can see they have diffrent date 2014 in the package and some files was added. I also edited the XML to add VID, PID and INF entries that was missing.

I already received uniata experimantel port for win9x from xeno and bearwin. There's IdeDma.sys that was suggested to rename and replace the pdr file. I tried it but it didn't boot (nither on SATA2 port) and hagned in black textmode screen. Xeno told me he developed this version olny under vmware and there was some issues that caused crashes. So I don't wonder it doesn't work oin real HW. BTW I use uniata for NT4 and I tried a lot of versions and many of them crashed or had a problem that CD/DVD drive didn't work. It took me some time to find the latest version with working DVD for me - it is ver 0.44b2.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my 2nd stab at ich7 with my Dell Inspiron E1505(a twin to Inspiron 6400)  using the slipstream infs.  I made it dual boot with XP so I could eliminate hardware malfunctions.  Setup /p i ran smooth. I didn't get any flags in device manager for system devices.  No noticeable problems till after installing nv82.69 drivers with the NV go 7300.  The sreen would go black, then come back- some kinda memory conflict.  I had to change m-pci-e network card memory resource manually as it conflicted with graphics causing garbled screen as soon as it was enabled.  Then my utility would recognize my network card but was "disconnected" which means the radio is not enabled and Fn-F2 doesn't turn it on.  BIOS doesn't let me turn the card on even though driver is installed correctly.  So I began looking in system devices at PCI bus. PCI steering is disabled and miniport something or other was rejected.  I plan to do a reinstall to see if I can clarify any of the chipset resources for 98SE prior to loading drivers ect.

I had to disable legacy USB support in BIOS otherwise no USB detection. 

I see pineclould's approach was to view XP's resources for i945 chipset and then insert them in 98SE.  

• 1 month later...

My 3rd attempt with ICH7.  I'm happy to report my Inspiron E1505 is working nicely now.  I used the Edit 7/20/13 infs from post #1 since it correctly identifies my sata controller.   I ran a normal setup (with ACPI) and PCI steering is now enabled.  There's even a free IRQ showing in system properties.   I've been trying  to manually add Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio as a system device with device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8 using the driver from XP.  It doesn't want to load or even find the driver but it looks nice in the system properties section :lol:.

18 hours ago, farfigs11 said:

My 3rd attempt with ICH7.  I'm happy to report my Inspiron E1505 is working nicely now.  I used the Edit 7/20/13 infs from post #1 since it correctly identifies my sata controller.   I ran a normal setup (with ACPI) and PCI steering is now enabled.  There's even a free IRQ showing in system properties.   I've been trying  to manually add Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio as a system device with device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8 using the driver from XP.  It doesn't want to load or even find the driver but it looks nice in the system properties section :lol:.

Glad to hear you've had success with the INFs. :)

The UAA Bus Driver (best to try the 2K version rather than XP) remains out of reach though, at least for now. rloew and I did some work with it, but it still fails to load. Despite Windows 2000 and Windows 98 sharing the WDM driver model, simply satisfying all of the missing imports for a 2K driver does not guarantee it will work under 98, and one can spend a lot of time fooling with it with no guarantee whatsoever of any success. Then, IF you got it working, the actual 2K HD Audio drivers that run on top of it may not work either. Unless someone can magically produce the source code, things don't look promising. :no:

(As promised above, I do have a newer INF version in the works. The transitions from the 2K/XP files are done but I have to decide how to split it up again; once again the files have grown beyond the annoying 64KB limit.)

FYI - Everest v2.20.405 Home (Free) *may* display your Physical Devices. Whether it will show Ven/Dev for "unknown" in the "Windows Devices" section, I don't know. I don't have a Win98 installed (and usable) on any physical HW ATM. There's also a software called "Unknown Device Identifier" that's floating around on the WWW. Seems a shame to have to load up XP to get the info.

HTH (worth a try)

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised how well ACPI works in 98SE with ICH7 on my Inspiron 9400.   The system powers off when I shutdown or when the lid is closed.  In all my previous dell laptop experienced ACPI didn't work at all--ICH4-6 Inspiron 5150,8600,or 9300.

47 minutes ago, farfigs11 said:

I'm surprised how well ACPI works in 98SE with ICH7 on my Inspiron 9400.   The system powers off when I shutdown or when the lid is closed.  In all my previous dell laptop experienced ACPI didn't work at all--ICH4-6 Inspiron 5150,8600,or 9300.

Yes it does seem strange that it works as expected. ACPI problems usually begin at ICH6, and I have an Intel-branded ICH7 motherboard here that is completely useless with Windows 98SE unless SETUP /P I is used to disable ACPI. Without this it won't even boot. Much of this seems to be controlled by the BIOS so consider yourself lucky in that respect since proprietary (in your case Dell) BIOS'es and even moreso laptop BIOS'es in general are usually pretty worthless. As far as desktop BIOS'es go, Intel seems to be the worst, followed by AMI for 9x compatibility. AWARD seems to be the best.

• 7 months later...

:hello:In preparation of a system to test the ME ServicePack the chipset driver did not work as expected. Probably there is something wrong in the inf file, perhaps in relation to

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1.DeviceDesc="Intel G33/G31/P35 Express PCI Express Root Port - 29C1"

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1.DeviceDesc%=PCI_BRIDGE_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1

The driver NV 82.69 doesn't work!:no: Nwiz causes an error in Kernel32.dll. It works with xrayer's chipset driver. The graphics card is NV7900GS (256MB), the Board is an Asus P5KPL/1600.

Date 08/10/2017 Time 12:55
NWIZ caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff8e64b.
Registers:
EAX=007a10cc CS=016f EIP=bff8e64b EFLGS=00000206
EBX=82de71ec SS=0177 ESP=007a0f1c EBP=007a10cc
ECX=00000177 DS=0177 ESI=df27a000 FS=249f
EDX=007a10bc ES=0177 EDI=00000f8e GS=0167
Bytes at CS:EIP:
cc a1 f0 bc fb bf 8b 00 66 64 f7 05 1c 00 00 00
Stack dump:
01350000 82de7238 00000005 82df11c4 82df11d8 c1d58100 00000000 007a10d8 ffecbad7 007a0f6c 007a0f50 0000000e 00000007 00000000 00000000 007a0f74

Unfortunately, I can not say anything more exact. I will continue to investigate this.

12 hours ago, schwups said:

:hello:In preparation of a system to test the ME ServicePack the chipset driver did not work as expected. Probably there is something wrong in the inf file, perhaps in relation to

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1.DeviceDesc="Intel G33/G31/P35 Express PCI Express Root Port - 29C1"

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1.DeviceDesc%=PCI_BRIDGE_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C1

The driver NV 82.69 doesn't work!:no: Nwiz causes an error in Kernel32.dll. It works with xrayer's chipset driver. The graphics card is NV7900GS (256MB), the Board is an Asus P5KPL/1600.

Date 08/10/2017 Time 12:55
NWIZ caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff8e64b.
Registers:
EAX=007a10cc CS=016f EIP=bff8e64b EFLGS=00000206
EBX=82de71ec SS=0177 ESP=007a0f1c EBP=007a10cc
ECX=00000177 DS=0177 ESI=df27a000 FS=249f
EDX=007a10bc ES=0177 EDI=00000f8e GS=0167
Bytes at CS:EIP:
cc a1 f0 bc fb bf 8b 00 66 64 f7 05 1c 00 00 00
Stack dump:
01350000 82de7238 00000005 82df11c4 82df11d8 c1d58100 00000000 007a10d8 ffecbad7 007a0f6c 007a0f50 0000000e 00000007 00000000 00000000 007a0f74

Unfortunately, I can not say anything more exact. I will continue to investigate this.

I checked my INF's against xRayer's for this device.
xRayer's INF is missing the "INTEL_PCI" install section that the device ID is directed to, so I can only assume it does nothing if no error is reported.
My INF's point this device to a blank section like the original 9x compatible Intel versions, so my INF "does nothing" for this device as well.

Both sets of INF should name the device but that's all. (It's really all chipset INF's are good for anyway.)
Neither of them should have any effect on the nVidia driver.

The only way I could see any different condition arising from using xRayer's INFs or my INF's would be if the entry for this chipset's LPC controller on xRayer's INFs does not load ISAPNP.VXD as mine (and the original Intel 9x compatible ones) does.

Keep me posted about what you find. :)

Guide dont speak about it, im dont missed something, its possible to apply these patches later after installation and yes what is the best way, just copy them to Windows/inf folder?

Ok, found this in the readme.

Edited by ruthan

10 hours ago, ruthan said:

Guide dont speak about it, im dont missed something, its possible to apply these patches later after installation and yes what is the best way, just copy them to Windows/inf folder?

Ok, found this in the readme.

Yes, you can install them on a copy of Windows that is already set up, but you may need to manually remove several things from the Device Manager first.. or it may just auto-update them when it detects a newer-dated INF file. Never tried using that method, so YMMV.

9 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

Yes, you can install them on a copy of Windows that is already set up, but you may need to manually remove several things from the Device Manager first.. or it may just auto-update them when it detects a newer-dated INF file. Never tried using that method, so YMMV.

I tried and nothing changed any new device at all, but i dont thing that plug and play or PCI bus is working properly with this board and bios for Win98.. When i cleaned whole device manager and reboot no device detection at all, i can detect some very generic devices set only, any specific intel device number etc.

Its very strange that PCI  bus device is not never autodetected between this set, something wrong with it from WIn98 point of view..

2017-08-16%2003.46.22.jpg

2017-08-16%2003.46.36.jpg

Here are new device detected after addition of PCI bus:

- im sure about Enumerator, it could be detected before. Ignore rest i did this picture during device removal process.

2017-08-19%2023.03.04.jpg

Edited by ruthan