"Slipstreamable" Intel Chipset INF Drivers

21 minutes ago, ruthan said:

I tried and nothing changed any new device at all, but i dont thing that plug and play or PCI bus is working properly with this board and bios for Win98.. When i cleaned whole device manager and reboot no device detection at all, i can detect some very generic devices set only, any specific intel device number etc.

Its very strange that PCI  bus device is not never autodetected between this set, something wrong with it from WIn98 point of view..

Here are new device detected after addition of PCI bus:

- im sure about Enumerator, it could be detected before. Ignore rest i did this picture during device removal process.

Possibly some miscommunication about removing devices in the various threads. Is this a clean install or a moved install? If it's a clean one you do not want to remove any devices that actually did get detected before installing the PCI Bus. Then after installing it more devices should appear. It is very strange that this is not happening, you may be right about something on that board not working properly. :dubbio:

Newer systems use an ACPI enumerator before a PCI enumerator so that's why PCI Bus does not get automatically installed; 9X does not recognize the newer ACPI controllers and therefore doesn't know what to do with them. But I suppose we should continue the discussion of this system in your X99 thread.

12 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Possibly some miscommunication about removing devices in the various threads. Is this a clean install or a moved install? If it's a clean one you do not want to remove any devices that actually did get detected before installing the PCI Bus. Then after installing it more devices should appear. It is very strange that this is not happening, you may be right about something on that board not working properly. :dubbio:

Newer systems use an ACPI enumerator before a PCI enumerator so that's why PCI Bus does not get automatically installed; 9X does not recognize the newer ACPI controllers and therefore doesn't know what to do with them. But I suppose we should continue the discussion of this system in your X99 thread.

This is what I had to do on the Z77.  After a clean install on your X99 did you have to manually add the PCI Bus in order to detect your cards?  Have there been any real stubborn devices that you installed that just won't detect no matter what or ones that you nearly gave up but found a way to detect them?

6 hours ago, 98SE said:

This is what I had to do on the Z77.  After a clean install on your X99 did you have to manually add the PCI Bus in order to detect your cards?  Have there been any real stubborn devices that you installed that just won't detect no matter what or ones that you nearly gave up but found a way to detect them?

Yes, PCI Bus must be added manually. This has been an issue on some boards all the way back to around the 965 chipset. It depends on the type of BIOS the board has and may vary between manufacturers as well.
I haven't had to take any other steps to detect devices. Sometimes when a PCI-E card is added another "bridge" will be detected, but I believe this is to be expected.

• 5 years later...
On 6/25/2023 at 12:46 AM, ABCDEFG said:

Hello.

So, these .inf files, are they available for the x79 chipset?

It's been a long time since I've worked on these. (Wow, almost 8 years.. where does the time go?) I believe x79 was the highest chipset covered by the version of the Intel INF files I used as a base. I see some x79 references in the files, so this chipset should be covered. I never got around to working on x99 or higher. Virtually impossible to find the time for any of my projects these days. :(

26 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

It's been a long time since I've worked on these. (Wow, almost 8 years.. where does the time go?) I believe x79 was the highest chipset covered by the version of the Intel INF files I used as a base. I see some x79 references in the files, so this chipset should be covered. I never got around to working on x99 or higher. Virtually impossible to find the time for any of my projects these days. :(

welcome back lonecrusader! good to have you back

10 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Yes, i understand, that's how it is today, we don't have time for anything.
I was thinking of trying it so i wanted to make sure it was supported.
Thank you.