"Slipstreamable" Intel Chipset INF Drivers

@ragnargd, xrayer

Here you go, thanks for the interest and prompting me to finish! :thumbup

Here's an updated version that handles all devices up to the Intel Chipset Identification Utility version 9.4.0.1017.

It requires different handling than the original package described here; see the README inside. I will leave all of the older links intact because the older version is still fine unless you need support for an ICH10 or later chipset.

Please post any test results, bug reports, or comments here.

Hi,

I booted my Win98SE to safe mode, deleted old P3x inf files and put there your new INFs. I went to devmgr and deleted all USB controllers and devices, IDE controllers and some sytem devices linked to old P31 chipset. I rebooted and let the system redetect new HW. It automatically recognized and installed C200 USB 2.0 controllers and hubs. I have no "!" mark on any USB device but it still doesn't work. System doesn't detect any plugged USB device. I also reinstalled nUSB but same result.

Hi,

I booted my Win98SE to safe mode, deleted old P3x inf files and put there your new INFs. I went to devmgr and deleted all USB controllers and devices, IDE controllers and some sytem devices linked to old P31 chipset. I rebooted and let the system redetect new HW. It automatically recognized and installed C200 USB 2.0 controllers and hubs. I have no "!" mark on any USB device but it still doesn't work. System doesn't detect any plugged USB device. I also reinstalled nUSB but same result.

Sounds like the USB issues are related to the lack of USB1 files discussed in the "modern motherboards" thread. I didn't release an updated USB.INF for the newer systems, simply because at least 2 different INFs would be required depending on what configuration the user has.

-One handling method is required if one is using the standard 98SE USB1 driver stack and/or NUSB 3.3 or earlier.

-A different method is needed if one is using the ME USB1 stack (+XP USBCCGP.SYS) with 98SE (NUSB 3.5 or later).

Which version of the USB1 stack and/or NUSB are you using?

However neither of these INF methods would directly address the lack of USB1 driver files on a USB2-controller only system. You may need to copy all of the files referenced in the Copy sections of USB.INF to their appropriate locations on your system if they are not already present.

If this helps, it may be necessary to merge USB.INF and USB2.INF for future setups on such systems.

If not, I'm not sure how to proceed. :}

EDIT:

It may also be worth noting that I have seen unexplainable problems with USB2 controllers and drivers on certain "newer" systems before.

I have an Intel DP43TF ICH10 motherboard that absolutely will not even boot 98SE if a USB2 driver is present. This is both with and without ACPI enabled. If I remove the USB2 driver, 98SE will boot and work. But if I put it back, it refuses to boot again. This behavior is the same with both the Microsoft 2K USB2 stack and with the OrangeWare USB2 stack.

However, a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR ICH10 board does not have this problem.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I used nUSB 3.3d CZ before and then I tried nUSB 3.6 EN. Does the difference of USB 1.1 driver matter? I think not since I have no any UHCI. Is new nUSB still based on W2K USBSTOR.SYS? I think it is and it should matter for USB 2.0 systems. But I don't know Win98 USB and nUSB internals. I don't know clear how nUSB is dependent on Windows drivers and how much does it replace them. Maybe the problem is that device detection wizard and systray watcher is somehow linked to USB1.1 and if this subsystem is missing it doesn't launch. But how R.Loew did it? So there must be a way to link it with USB2.0 controller...

Edited by xrayer

I used nUSB 3.3d CZ before and then I tried nUSB 3.6 EN. Does the difference of USB 1.1 driver matter? I think not since I have no any UHCI. Is new nUSB still based on W2K USBSTOR.SYS? I think it is and it should matter for USB 2.0 systems. But I don't know Win98 USB and nUSB internals. I don't know clear how nUSB is dependent on Windows drivers and how much does it replace them. Maybe the problem is that device detection wizard and systray watcher is somehow linked to USB1.1 and if this subsystem is missing it doesn't launch. But how R.Loew did it? So there must be a way to link it with USB2.0 controller...

The Windows ME USB1 stack is a slight improvement over the 98SE version. I actually proposed that NUSB be updated to include it so that USBCCGP.SYS would be available to 98SE, based on a report by another member that he was able to get a newer "USB Composite" device to work under 98SE by adding this file from XP. (The ME version of this file is apparently bugged and 98SE/2K do not use it while ME/XP do).

There is no benefit to using the 2K USBSTOR.SYS over the ME version. The ME version has no problems and does not require WDMSTUB.SYS like the 2K version does. Only the 3 USB2 driver files are needed from 2K.

Apparently the problem here is that USBD.SYS, a USB1 driver file, is also required by the USB2 driver stack. On a USB2-controller only system, USBD.SYS (along with some other files) is not being copied to the system and therefore not fulfilling the requirements on the USB2 stack. These files just need to be in their proper places, they do not have to be manually "linked." Look through the USB.INF CopyFiles sections and copy all of the files to their proper locations. For example put USBD.SYS, USHBUB.SYS, UHCD.SYS, and OPENHCI.SYS in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and SYSTRAY.EXE, HOTPLUG.DLL and USBUI.DLL in WINDOWS\SYSTEM and so on. If you are using Intel then you most likely do have UHCI controllers, not OHCI.

Thanks, I'll check if USBD.SYS is on place.

BTW I could upload CZ version of USB drivers and DLLs from CZ WinMe used by nUSB 3.6 but I don't have skills how to repack it as installer executable.

I use and recommend NUSB 3.5. I believe NUSB 3.6 only adds SYSDM.CPL from Windows ME, which does allow USB Storage devices to be auto-installed without prompting for a driver (behavior like XP and later), but it also has some cosmetic flaws when used under 98SE. ("Windows Millennium Edition" shown in various places instead of "Windows 98"; a bizarre icon overlay bug on USB controllers in the Device Manager; "System Restore" controls being shown; and possibly other undiscovered issues)

I tried some while ago to correct some of these but there are no "resource editors" which will properly handle the file since it is an NE executable. I made some progress but never fixed all of the issues. I think my last modified version ended up in PROBLEMCHYLD's Unofficial Service Pack.

If you want to upload the CZ version files for NUSB 3.5 or 3.6 somewhere I will try to repack them when I get a chance. I've never repacked NUSB but if I can repack the original 95 USBSUPP, it shouldn't be too hard. ;)

Edited by LoneCrusader

I checked USBD.SYS and it's on a place: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS version 4.10.0.2226, size 18944B

I tried to get nUSB 3.5 from MSFN thread but the link on zshare seems so be dead. After some googling I finally founf eng. version here

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/(there are also a lot of drivers that may be useful)

I extracted the files and going to find matching cz counterparts. Is it possible somehow to run installation proces from directory with extracted files? There seems nothing like setup.exe or else to run (I extracted via Winrar)...

I checked USBD.SYS and it's on a place: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS version 4.10.0.2226, size 18944B

I tried to get nUSB 3.5 from MSFN thread but the link on zshare seems so be dead. After some googling I finally founf eng. version here

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/(there are also a lot of drivers that may be useful)

I extracted the files and going to find matching cz counterparts. Is it possible somehow to run installation proces from directory with extracted files? There seems nothing like setup.exe or else to run (I extracted via Winrar)...

Interesting. The problem may lie deeper then, if USBD.SYS and the other files were present and your USB2 still doesn't work... :unsure:

You can manually install NUSB once extracted by right clicking "_nusb.inf" and choose Install.

It automatically recognized and installed C200 USB 2.0 controllers and hubs. I have no "!" mark on any USB device but it still doesn't work. System doesn't detect any plugged USB device.

I may have just encountered this issue on an X58 Chipset system. Try opening the Device Manager and clicking "Refresh" while a USB Drive is connected. It worked for me to detect the device, but file transfers are running ridiculously slow, like less than half the speed of USB1.1... :unsure:

I installed nUSB 3.5 and checked again that all files from the package are at the right place. Only a few of files are localized in CZ windows so I put them here: http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/nusb35cz.zip please can you make installer package of it?

Unfortunatelly it still doesn't work. Here's my devmgr:

USBW98.png

I tried Refresh button after plug in but any new device didn't appeared in any section...

Please upload a sshot of your devmgr on X58 to have better idea how it should look like. Is there some automatic tool that will carefully clean up any trace of previous nUSB from system, just to be sure if it doesn't interfere with some previous install. Probably I would need to try fresh install with your chipset infs and then nusb to prove it if the problem is not caused by some old config...

BTW my USB stick has a LED that lights up when system detect it and communication is established. The LED blinks when system R/W the media. But in W98 it only blink for very short time when plugged in and doesn't light up. So it seems like EHCI/hub is not initialized.

Edited by xrayer

I installed nUSB 3.5 and checked again that all files from the package are at the right place. Only a few of files are localized in CZ windows so I put them here: http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/nusb35cz.zip please can you make installer package of it?

I downloaded the old NUSB 3.3d Czech package from MDGx and compared it to the 3.5 English package along with the files you sent. Apparently there is also a localized IOS.VXD and a couple of other INF's but I have them now from the 3.3d package.

I will need an original USB.INF from Czech Windows 98SE, and if you have localized versions of USB2.INF and USBSTOR.INF I will need them to include as well.

I have everything ready to pack into a new installer once I have those INFs localized and fixed.

I tried Refresh button after plug in but any new device didn't appeared in any section...

Please upload a sshot of your devmgr on X58 to have better idea how it should look like. Is there some automatic tool that will carefully clean up any trace of previous nUSB from system, just to be sure if it doesn't interfere with some previous install. Probably I would need to try fresh install with your chipset infs and then nusb to prove it if the problem is not caused by some old config...

BTW my USB stick has a LED that lights up when system detect it and communication is established. The LED blinks when system R/W the media. But in W98 it only blink for very short time when plugged in and doesn't light up. So it seems like EHCI/hub is not initialized.

A clean install might be helpful, but once the new NUSB files are in place I doubt that any leftovers from older versions are "different enough" to cause USB devices not to work at all.

I discovered that the Automatic Skip Driver agent (ASD) had been triggered during my 98SE install on the X58 system, so it may be causing some problems. No further information yet. I had hoped that your problem would be similar but it seems to be different. X58 still includes USB1 and I can get USB disk access by Refreshing the Device Manager, but you have no USB1 and Refresh doesn't work. :}

Here's the screenshot anyway.

ICH10USB.PNG

Hi, I added requested files to package, download it again http://http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/nusb35cz.zip

The usb2.inf and usbstor.inf are from CZ nusb 3.3 pack. I think it's not necessary to keep them localized - this is only names of devices and don't affect windows GUI. As there's no longer CZ maintainer I think it's better to use english verison of inf fils that is up to date than old localized ones.

Aha, I read that the remove of UHCI happened since P55 so I though X58 is affected too. But R.Loew made it working even on newer chipset than mine so it is possible...

What is Automatic Skip Driver agent and how do I disable it during install? But it's not related to already installed system...

Edited by xrayer

Hi, I added requested files to package, download it again http://http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/nusb35cz.zip

The usb2.inf and usbstor.inf are from CZ nusb 3.3 pack. I think it's not necessary to keep them localized - this is only names of devices and don't affect windows GUI. As there's no longer CZ maintainer I think it's better to use english verison of inf fils that is up to date than old localized ones.

Aha, I read that the remove of UHCI happened since P55 so I though X58 is affected too. But R.Loew made it working even on newer chipset than mine so it is possible...

What is Automatic Skip Driver agent and how do I disable it during install? But it's not related to already installed system...

Here's the new NUSB35CZ, let me know if you have any problems with it.

Unfortunately I don't know very much about the ASD either, rloew mentioned once before that I should check for it when I was having some problems. It looks like we're going to need rloew's help to sort out these USB problems.

ASD appears to list most, if not all, Driver Nodes. It appears to be safe to remove entries.

Look for ones with a Value of 01. These are the ones that are disabled. Delete the Entry or change the Value to 00.