Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. I just want to say I am truly pleased with your work, Roytam. I feel thankful for you. Be well.
  3. I don't disagree, I was being facetious. A jab in the ribs to those that perceive New Moon issues with Citi login (third largest bank in US) as an "off-topic" discussion (regardless of the COMMUNAL discourse "to the side", it IS a VALID topic!) But again, it doesn't work "upstream" either, so *I* don't expect Roytam to 'fix it' (but I also see that a shame as patches are "cherry-picked"). But again, I digress... Again, lol...
  4. Is this really about Windows 9x or ME?! Please be more careful where you're putting your posts, there have been several recently which have been in the wrong thread, this is the first one that's actually been in completely the wrong forum!
  5. Yesterday
  6. People here are obviously concerned about fellow forum members in areas where there is most risk, and as a friendly community I see no harm in it being discussed, even if is of course always going to be fundamentally off-topic here in any thread. I hope the moderators are lenient with this at the moment.
  7. All the virus and mask talks seem way WAY "off-topic" to me. But I digress...
  8. Better links for KernelEx and 7-Zip: http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/KernelEx-4.5.2.exe http://sourceforge.mirrorservice.org/s/se/sevenzip/7-Zip/9.20/7z920.exe
  9. I used your latest build above, and the icons are working again, for Quick Context Search v1.5.4 I have a crazy amount of extensions, so I don't know how my error console could help, as it is chock full of errors that I never noticed, as I never looked at the error console. Just in case it's useful to you, here it is: 1582495518906 addons.xpi WARN Error loading bootstrap.js for click-to-play-per-element@2k1dmg.org: SyntaxError: non-generator method definitions may not contain yield (resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/click-to-play-per-element@2k1dmg.org.xpi!/bootstrap.js:130:3) JS Stack trace: @XPIProvider.jsm:4344:1 < XPI_loadBootstrapScope@XPIProvider.jsm:4344:7 < XPI_callBootstrapMethod@XPIProvider.jsm:4423:9 < updateMetadata@XPIProvider.jsm:2941:11 < XPI_processFileChanges@XPIProvider.jsm:3413:25 < XPI_checkForChanges@XPIProvider.jsm:3603:34 < XPI_startup@XPIProvider.jsm:2088:25 < callProvider@AddonManager.jsm:195:12 < _startProvider@AddonManager.jsm:733:5 < startup@AddonManager.jsm:880:9 < startup@AddonManager.jsm:2456:5 < observe@addonManager.js:58:7 1582495518908 addons.xpi WARN Add-on click-to-play-per-element@2k1dmg.org is missing bootstrap method install 1582495519044 addons.xpi WARN Ignoring duplicate targetApplication entry for {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} in install manifest Warning: attempting to write 4213 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Warning: attempting to write 4404 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:19 PM Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: This path to Console.jsm is deprecated. Please use Cu.import("resource://gre/modules/Console.jsm") to load this module. You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://bugzil.la/912121 Callstack: resource://gre/modules/devtools/Console.jsm 19 null resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/quickcontextsearch@pf.xpi!/bootstrap.js 2 null resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 4344 null resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 4344 XPI_loadBootstrapScope resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 4423 XPI_callBootstrapMethod resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 2941 updateMetadata resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 3413 XPI_processFileChanges resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 3603 XPI_checkForChanges resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 2088 XPI_startup resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 195 callProvider resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 733 _startProvider resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 880 startup resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 2456 startup resource://gre/components/addonManager.js 58 observe Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm Line: 85 Warning: attempting to write 14556 bytes to preference extensions.xpiState. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Warning: attempting to write 4404 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Warning: attempting to write 4404 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:19 PM Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: FUEL is deprecated, you should use the standard Toolkit API instead. You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1083 Callstack: resource://app/components/fuelApplication.js 1459 Application resource://app/components/fuelApplication.js 726 createInstance resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm 230 XPCU_serviceLambda resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm 198 get resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js 222 startup resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 4462 XPI_callBootstrapMethod resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm 2159 XPI_startup resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 195 callProvider resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 733 _startProvider resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 880 startup resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm 2456 startup resource://gre/components/addonManager.js 58 observe Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm Line: 85 1582495519348 addons.xpi WARN Add-on click-to-play-per-element@2k1dmg.org is missing bootstrap method startup Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:19 PM Warning: Warning: ‘nsIOService::NewChannel()’ deprecated, please use ‘nsIOService::NewChannel2()’ Source File: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/jid1-n85lxPv1NAWVTQ@jetpack.xpi!/bootstrap.js Line: 51 No chrome package registered for chrome://global-region/locale/region.dtd No chrome package registered for chrome://global-region/locale/region.dtd Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:21 PM Error: PERFORMANCE WARNING: Search service falling back to synchronous initialization. This is generally the consequence of an add-on using a deprecated search service API. You may find more details about this problem at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XPCOM_Interface_Reference/nsIBrowserSearchService#async_warning Callstack: resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 2480 SRCH_SVC__ensureInitialized resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 3579 SRCH_SVC_getEngineByName jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 256 removeNonExisting jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 111 SEOrganizer___init jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 78 SEOrganizer resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm 387 createInstance Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm Line: 120 Direct3D 9 DeviceManager Initialized Successfully. Driver: ati2dvag.dll Description: Radeon X1600 Version: 6.14.10.6903 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Error: TypeError: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/extensions/manager;1'] is undefined Source File: chrome://textlink/content/textlinkOverlay.js Line: 9 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Error: TypeError: elem is null Source File: resource://nounbuttons/scripts/nounbuttons.js Line: 60 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Warning: Use of getUserData() or setUserData() is deprecated. Use WeakMap or element.dataset instead. Source File: chrome://nosquint/content/browser.js Line: 413 usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead. Source File: chrome://personaltitlebar/content/browserOverlay.js Line: 135 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Error: NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: Cannot call openModalWindow on a hidden window Source File: resource://gre/components/nsPrompter.js Line: 351 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:24 PM Error: NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: Cannot call openModalWindow on a hidden window Source File: resource://gre/components/nsPrompter.js Line: 351 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:28 PM Error: TypeError: aPopupMenu.triggerNode is null Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.js Line: 13555 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:28 PM Error: TypeError: document.getAnonymousElementByAttribute(...) is null Source File: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/quickcontextsearch@pf.xpi!/bootstrap.js Line: 120 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:29 PM Error: gBrowser.addProgressListener was called with a second argument, which is not supported. See bug 608628. Source File: chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml Line: 2487 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:30 PM Error: A promise chain failed to handle a rejection. Did you forget to '.catch', or did you forget to 'return'? See https://developer.mozilla.org/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/Promise.jsm/Promise Date: Sun Feb 23 2020 17:05:25 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) Full Message: TypeError: window.gBrowser.ownerDocument.watch is not a function Full Stack: onLoad@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/packages/browserWindowOverlay.js:683:5 onLoadDelayed@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/packages/browserWindowOverlay.js:583:4 process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:932:23 walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7 scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:11 Source File: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///d:/software/_runable/palemoon/_profile/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/packages/browserWindowOverlay.js Line: 683 Source Code: 683 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:32 PM Warning: Warning: ‘nsIOService::NewChannel()’ deprecated, please use ‘nsIOService::NewChannel2()’ Source File: chrome://nosquint/content/lib.js Line: 89 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:33 PM Warning: Loading mixed (insecure) display content “http://saveimg.ru/pictures/19-02-20/a8a1caf9b6bb3dddcb6e2b5370f9dff7.jpg” on a secure page Source File: https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/65/?tab=comments#comment-1177956 Line: 0 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:05:33 PM Warning: Loading mixed (insecure) display content “http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/images/lonecrusadersig1.GIF” on a secure page Source File: https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/65/?tab=comments#comment-1177956 Line: 0 ... tons more errors about msfn board... usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined Warning: attempting to write 8684 bytes to preference extensions.nosquint.sites. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes. Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:06:12 PM Error: TypeError: document.getElementById(...) is null Source File: chrome://hidefindbar/content/overlay.js Line: 171 usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:06:26 PM Error: TypeError: can't access dead object Source File: chrome://advanced-night-mode/content/process-script.js Line: 33 usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:07:03 PM Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox” Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line: 0 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:07:03 PM Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“j” modifiers=“control alt shift” id=“autofillFormsShortcutSettings” Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line: 0 Timestamp: 2/23/2020 5:07:03 PM Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“j” modifiers=“control alt” id=“autofillFormsShortcutProfile” Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line: 0 ... the following repeated ad nauseum... usingOldMemoryReporter err=TypeError: Cc['@mozlla.org/memory-reporter-manager;1'] is undefined
  10. Now, if only I could kinda "rebrand" one of my two browsers to look a lot more like Netscape (change the icons and the app window title name). I know I can change the icons with Resource Hacker. But I have no clue for the app name on window title bar.
  11. TIP for Win98 users, arriving too late for updating anything now: Killer circle: 1) Still have an original Windows98 and would like to update it with KernelEx now, but cannot access KernelEx downloads at SourceForge anymore? Since SF downloads are cipher-blocked for old browsers since awhile. 2) Or wanting to run roytam1's great TLS1.2 forks, and downloads work fine, BUT then you can NOT UNZIP them, due to old 7-zip version? 3) Then trying to update 7-zip, since your old 7z v4.x cannot unzip roytam1-browsers, but again running into SourceForge cipher-block, no download possible? Temporary SOLUTION for SourceForge downloads :-) The official mirror links still work! The only prob is how to figure out their direct path. Here are examples: Howto download 7-ZIP 9.20 (last version for untweaked Win98) https://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.20/7z920.exe/download MIRRORS, example DE netcologne or Canada iWeb: https://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sevenzip/7-Zip/9.20/7z920.exe https://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sevenzip/7-Zip/9.20/7z920.exe Howto download KERNELEX 4.5.2: (stable classic version, 2011-11-14) https://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/files/KernelEx/4.5.2/KernelEx-4.5.2.exe/download https://netix.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kernelex/KernelEx/4.5.2/KernelEx-4.5.2.exe README: https://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/files/KernelEx/4.5.2/README.txt/download https://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kernelex/KernelEx/4.5.2/README.txt
  12. If the printer needs USB 2.0 an Enhanced USB controller driver is needed anyway. Personally I prefer NUSB33. Showed Device Manager an Unknown USB Device? About your USB-printer: a seperate driver should be needed. Can't help you further, I have used a HP Laserjet 4 Plus (LPT; duplex; 1993!) during 13 years, until a few weeks ago. Repair seems to be impossible
  13. i know this is an old thread but i think I have Quicktime going in Firefox, without installing quicktime what I did was ============================== In about:config set plugins.load_appdir_plugins set to true --------------------------------------------------- create a folder plugins ====================== place these dll/s in the folder npqtplugin.dll npqtplugin2.dll npqtplugin3.dll npqtplugin4.dll npqtplugin5.dll Put plugins folder into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser restart browser test page http://camendesign.co.uk/code/video_for_everybody/test_qt.html https://archive.org/details/Davidleeking-testVideoUsingMovFormat286
  14. After getting MSO 2010 SP2 installed recently, I found that there was no easy and intuitive way to get Office 2010 fully up to date. Even the latest cumulative updates on Microsoft's websites (and it's not at all obvious which ones are necessary, since the "latest" ones go back to September 2019 or even earlier) omit nearly 60 standalone updates that need to be downloaded separately. The goal here was to see if I could get Office updated from the get go w/o using Windows Update post-install. Starting with SP2*, this will get MSO 2010 fully up to date. This is for 32-bit Office 2010 Professional Plus (+Visio) on 64-bit Windows 7. (*This was starting with the install files for Office 2010 with SP2 already slipstreamed into the "Updates" folder, I don't think there's an official SP2 ISO anywhere). However, in Word and other Office applications, the version number does not change higher than 7243/7237 still, which is annoying since 7245 I believe is the February 2020 build #. But by "up to date", I mean when you run Windows Update, it will give you the green checkmark and say "No important updates available", woo hoo! The folders referenced below are where I have saved extracted copies of all the downloaded CAB updates, because obtaining them is a pain. The updates that are contained in each folder are provided below. Sadly, using Windows Update post-install is the only way to get the last 3 updates to install, to my knowledge. I tested pretty much every possible way. They cause problems if you try to install them manually. Anyways, hopefully this is helpful, it took hours of testing but using this procedure any vanilla Office 2010 SP2 can be brought fully up to date. PART I: 1. Copy "Office 2010 x86 Pro Plus VL with SP2" to local Desktop. This contains the latest cumulative updates. 2. Copy contents of "MSO 2010 Latest Standalone Updates" to the "Updates" folder contained in the folder on Desktop. Click "Keep both copies" when prompted in the Copy dialog. 3. Run setup.exe 4. Install Update for Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime (2017) PART II: 1. Copy SW_DVD5_Visio_Premium_2010_W32_English_Std_Pro_Prem_MLF_X16-51030 with SP2 to local Desktop. 2. Copy contents of "MSO 2010 Latest Standalone Updates" to the "Updates" folder contained in the folder on Desktop. (Yes, this means all Office updates.) 3. Copy contents of "MSO 2010 Visio Latest Standalone Updates" to the "Updates" folder contained in the folder on Desktop. 4. Run setup.exe PART III: 1. Run Windows Update and install all IMPORTANT updates only. There should be (3) important updates. The steps above minimized the amount of updates Windows Update is needed for. The 3 important updates in Windows Update for MSO won't install manually (they still show up in WU), but if installed via Windows Update, they will disappear. *** UPDATES IN THE FOLDERS *** Latest Office 2010 Cumulative Updates: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/office-updates-msi UP TO DATE THROUGH 2020/02/21 FOR KB # RELEASED REPLACES Outlook 4484163 (2020/02/11) 4475573 (2019/08/13) Excel 4484267 (2020/02/11) 4484243 (2020/01/14) Office 4484236 (2020/02/11) 4484192 (2019/12/10) Office (Access) 4484193 (2019/12/10) 4484127 (2019/11/12) Office (Word) 4475598 (2019/12/10) 4475531 (2019/08/13) PowerPoint 4461613 (2019/12/10) 4461521 (2018/12/10) Word 4475601 (2019/12/10) 4475533 (2019/08/13) Office 4464566 (2019/09/10) 4462223 (2019/04/09) Project 4461631 (2019/09/10) 4022147 (2018/11/13) **NOT DOWNLOADED** --- Install these standalone x86 updates for MSO 2010 --- 3114416 3114414 2553154 2553313 2553332 2850016 2881029 2956063 3114565 3115120 3115197 3115248 3191908 4022206 4022208 3114872 2999465 4018363 3114879 2817369 2553092 2553140 2553347 2553388 2589298 2589375 2880971 2597087 2791057 2825640 2881030 3054886 3055047 3128031 4092436 4461579 4462187 3114559 2553308 2760601 3115314 4461626 982726 2956076 2589318 2589339 3054873 4462172 2883019 2589386 4011186 3115475 --- Install the applicable (e.g. language specific) component of these MSO 2010 x86 updates --- 4022136 2956084 4461625 3114885 2956076 3203468 3213626 3213631 --- Install the following updates during Visio install AS WELL (install all other updates above also) --- 4464566 4484193 2881025 (English only) *** END OF UPDATES TO SLIPSTREAM ** --- Duplicate CAB updates --- 3203468 3114885 --- Problematic updates --- 4011610: The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service b/c the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.
  15. No, it is not at all "unique" Binary (actually hex) is a representation of values. What is used is bytes, that can have values between 0 and 255 or - in hex - 00 to FF. Bytes can be grouped in words (2 bytes or 16 bit values), long words (4 bytes or 32 bit values), quad words (8 bytes or 64 bit values) when they represent a number. Otherwise they are taken as single bytes. A subset of bytes value, 0 to 127 (or 00 to 7F or 7-bit values) are used to represent most common letters, numbers and symbols (and non printable "control codes"), according to ASCII: http://www.asciitable.com/ and values 128 to 255 (or 80 to FF or 8-bit values) represent "extended ASCII" i.e. additional letters and symbols. Then there is Unicode that uses a two bytes encoding: http://www.unicodetables.com/ (but the first 128 characters are anyway the same as ASCII) In the Registry the "binary" type of data corresponds to *any* number of hex bytes. These hex bytes may represent text or numeric values or *something else*. Only text represented as bytes can be read/translated back to text. As an example, check your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices You will find there ALL and ONLY Reg_Binary keys. If you click on some of them, you will see how some of them (those corresponding to USB sticks or more generally removable devices, i.e. those beginning with 5C 00 3F 00 or 5F 00 3F 00) will be long and "human readable" in the pop-up modify value window, whilst those corresponding to partitions/volumes on internal hard disks will be shorter and (unless by sheer coincidence) not readable. This is simply because the former are text strings (encoded in Unicode) whilst the latter represent different data, namely the first four bytes are the Disk Signature and the other 8 bytes are a Quad Word with the offset in sectors to the volume beginning (in practice last three or four bytes will almost always be 00). jaclaz
  16. I really like that naming scheme except for "RFox" part. BTW, still not dead ;)
  17. Apple BootCamp report: MS did good!? BootCamp Windows 10 Pro, Feature update 1909, installed cleanly without removing Apple software!!! Build 18363.657 Windows 10 Pro is actually working OK on the MacBook!!! After the Feature 1903 destructive update, never expected a clean update from MS again. But this is 2020 and life goes on. Even got Logitech Bluetooth mouse working in Win 10 BootCamp!!! It's a good "fertilizer" day!? Imagine that!!!
  18. have I got this correct ? Create A txt File With Following pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); pref("general.config.filename", "config.js"); Name It config-prefs.js Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref Create a txt File With Following // needs to start with a comment line Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm"); Services.obs.addObserver(function (aSubject, aTopic, aData) { var chromeWindow = aSubject; chromeWindow.setTimeout(function () { Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm", chromeWindow); chromeWindow.UserAgentOverrides.init(); }, 1000); }, "browser-delayed-startup-finished", false); Name it config.js And Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox Now you can use useroverride strings this is what i used to have and the general.useragent.override.xxxxxx would work now they don't I would have general.useragent.override Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 then general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0 and whatismy browser would read i am upto date on 8.1 FF 73,,, now it seems as if it is sniffing out the correct version as being on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 where have i gone wrong
  19. yea heard that in news, so please take care yourself and your family as well.
  20. Wunderbar98 said: > When i get a chance will review old SeaMonkey extensions again and > see if there's anything there that may help. Since you can run modern browsers too, would highly recommand for everyone who's able to use it, the addon "Classic Add-ons Archive" by JustOff, on github, for research. It gives access again to a mirror of old AMO, before all powerful xul-addons were deleted by Mozilla. Really, do yourself a favor and give it a try ;-) Yes the addon is huge, but can easily be toggled On/Off during session, works instantly. It's just a tool for reading its sqlite database, showing the content as html pages, with links for downloads. Really wish anyone could make it run in FF24/KMG74 too, sigh. Last version for win98 with modern KernelEx, just very buggy yet. After tweaking version numbers in install.rdf the addon "caa:about" shows up, but only the header part, no clue how to access the stuff below?? :-( For Seamonkey even the original AMO still works too, only the domain has changed: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ The only prob is not all addons were always listed on AMO, incl. some of the best. And yeah, especially addons for such extremely old versions from FF2 era seem hard to find, mostly outside too.
  21. About Firefox / Seamonkey / Mozilla browsers, content blocker: Wunderbar98 said: > My primary Windows 98 browser is RetroZilla. Unfortunately it does not appear to have similar > about:config entries. Have been playing with about:config and various preferences, not much improvement. No, it doesn't show them, except "permissions.default.image", but the sibling prefs DO WORK too! And the good news is, certainly in your SM too, since I meanwhile remembered that KM is actually based on the SM engine, not really on Firefox engine. FF is just always mentioned for comparison since everyone knows it and SM much less, so I keep forgetting it The secret trick is, those prefs are just HIDDEN by Mozilla to prevent discovery by users!! Nonetheless they do work anyway. Just for showing up in aboutconfig, those prefs must first be created manually: right-click / new / name / type is INT / default 1 And you can search all over the web, thanks to Mozilla successfully hiding them, hardly anyone is aware of those absolutely crucial prefs, it's very hard to realize they exist and work. They also successfully kept myself from finding and learning about them for far too many, many years, all the time wishing strongly such possibilities would exist. Nearly fell off the chair when some day realizing: such prefs exist, and they worked all along! And even as far back as at least K-Meleon 1.5 (=FF2/gecko1.8.1/SMxx), probably even older. And those prefs also keep (kept?) working far into the future in modern engines. And are still HIDDEN from discovery, and very successfully so! One of my pet peeves, as you may have noticed by now, LOL! Not quite sure up to which modern engines they still work, just seeing how much Mozilla started hating user's toggling possibilities since some years, wouldn't be surprised if meanwhile they killed those prefs completely. But no idea. Can only confirm that at least up to FF38 (KM76 incl Goanna) they definitely still work too, and with a lot more types added over the years. Came across that endless list some day in some source repo (could dig it up somewhere in old notes, at any rate a good search key is for content blocking) Once discovered, those prefs can be handled as all others too. And to get them to show up in about:config with their default value, one can simply add a new list *.js file in the /defaults/pref/ folder, syntax like e.g. the channel-prefs.js. Or take Mathwiz useragents list as syntax example. I did request roytam1 to include those absolutely crucial blocking prefs visibly out-of-box in KM, by adding this little file, but as almost always, my probs are not his own personal probs, so declined. Of course, the first thing I did after learning such fantastic possibilities do exist, was to start writing KM-macros for easier pref-toggling. And for extending my ever growing button collection :-) Macros priv3buttons and permdefs (stupid names, sigh) Regarding ADDONS for other browsers (FF), there exist a few for toggling those types, like QuickJava, Content Block (by mdsy), PrefBar (tuxfamily.org), (more?) Just not quite sure what those do internally exactly, if using the same Mozilla prefs or some own ones. And am afraid, they didn't exist yet for your old SM/FF2? But addons are another huge subject, stuff for another novel (sigh), and personally have far less experience, hardly any. Only did experiment 1-2 years ago with adding more toggles to QuickJava, after discovering roytam's FF2-retrozilla with TLS1.2. And after long struggles due to missing skills finally got it working with my main prefs, also as triple-toggles, loved it. Then afterwards discovered the newer versions do have more buttons outofbox already, oops... Just couldn't figure out anymore how to get the FF3.5 addon version to run in FF2 too, but for just own use my messy DIY draft is well enough. But back to those global prefs, they can always be toggled on aboutconfig too of course. This page gives most important info: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hostperm.1 E.g. a little list which GLOBAL types existed at least back since 2008 (=last edit). The global prefs are at the bottom, while the page itself explains domain EXCEPTIONS, also extremely helpful. Actually this plaintext sheet (hostperm.1) for Firefox2/SM is just the predecessor of permissions.sqlite, what I recommended in previous post, just the file format is different, and forgot my fave addon (ExEx) starts working only in later FF versions (FF3.5?) Important to know for "stylesheet", which you need most by far, in FF2 era: this pref only blocks _externally_ loaded styles, that means loaded from a *.css file, not internal styles defined in the html page itself. So some stuff on some pages remains invisible. Then additional css-snippets in userContent.css can help for those sites, if visited frequently. Or kill the remaining styles by menu again if needed (much more rarely) Or use bookmarklets/buttons/addons etc. for 1-click toggling of inner styles too (am using pure JS for this in KM macro)
  22. I have a USB 2.0 PCI-E x1 card (it has no Molex power connector, it uses a PCI NEC USB 2.0 chip and a PLX PCI to PCI-E bridge chip not a Moschip). It has problems and does not work together with the AHCI driver or the 82.69 driver for whatever reason. Your mileage with such cards might therefore vary, maybe the model with Molex power connector works better, I don't know. I've only tried a USB Sound Card together with the USB 2.0 PCI-E x1 card on 98SE, it worked well.
  23. @roytam1 For now, 76 infected in Italy, 2 deaths: https://www.grottaglieinrete.it/it/ultimora-coronavirus-emergenza-sanitaria-governo-emana-decreto-legge/
  24. Thank-you for the feedback siria, don't think anyone else has put this much effort into the issue. My primary Windows 98 browser is RetroZilla. Unfortunately it does not appear to have similar about:config entries. Have been playing with about:config and various preferences, not much improvement. Unfortunately in RetroZilla there does not even seem to be a way to make View -> Use Style -> None default. Every new tab opens with the 'Default style' view, frustrating and lots of toggling. When i get a chance will review old SeaMonkey extensions again and see if there's anything there that may help. A trivial improvement is unchecking 'Allow documents to use other fonts'. This provides a more consistent font presentation and when visiting pages like Wikipedia, it stops the missing foreign language font popups i can't read anyway. Deselecting 'Always use the colors and backgrounds specified by the web page' is beneficial for unintended overlapped text with a non-contrasted background. It does, however, take away from the intended appearance of the page, so personally i don't like using it. Since roytam1 has updated many of these old browsers for connectivity, query whether future updates are possible for web page layout. My vote would be to improve non-JavaScript rendering. Since trying to count my blessings more in such a troubled world, prepending most problems with 'My first world problem is enter_trivial_problem_here' helps keep things in persepctive.
  1. Load more activity