5 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. Since everything is very quiet with Serpent I wanted to mention that in my case, I can't open Mega. I didn't mention this before 'cause I didn't think it was that important, you know I'm not much of a troubleshooter and I know Mega is a capricious site that always insists on using updated browsers. Maybe there's a chance we can get it to work? In my case Serpent just closes itself when I enter the site. :dubbio:

Hi! mega.nz works here too, Serpent x86 2024-02-23 (latest). Perhaps there's something wrong with your ST profile?

10 hours ago, reboot12 said:

mega.nz ? For me working in Serpent - I use v52.9.0 (2023-10-19) (64-bit)

Works fine in Serpent 52 (x32). Latest version 2024-02-03.

scr.png

Edited by Dr. Drill

20 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

NM 27 and NM 28 typically use the same profile folder: %appdata%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon. If you wish to use both NM 27 and NM 28 on the same PC, you should make one or both portable to keep their profiles separate. (I believe a portable loader is mentioned in the first post of this thread.)

Indeed, it's mentioned there , parameter is "--no-remote", Is there any difference to "-no-remote" as specified by mozilla (and used by me since ever)?

48 minutes ago, Mark-XP said:

Indeed, it's mentioned there , parameter is "--no-remote", Is there any difference to "-no-remote" as specified by mozilla (and used by me since ever)?

I think the -no-remote option does the same in both, New Moon and Firefox. I used this option in the past via shortcuts I created to launch different versions of Firefox in the same Windows XP installation. spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 3/17/2024 at 7:53 PM, Mathwiz said:

I hear you. But I still update more often than once every five months!

I believe the 2-24 Serpent versions are stable and that's what I'm running now. There have been no updates in several weeks, long enough to identify and fix any big issues.

OK, guys, I'll take your word for it and stay with Serpent 02-24-24 for the meantime until we get another update. I also don't update until I see others here are not experiencing anything strange. I experience something strange every day when I wake up and look in the mirror and see this!

spacer.png

Kidding; or am I?!

All kidding aside:

Mega seems fine with my dirty profile:
spacer.png

Edited by XPerceniol

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

The BNavigator Session store and Session startup  declarations are:

component {4e6c1112-57b6-44ba-adf9-99fb573b0a30} nsSessionStartup.js
contract @binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstartup;1 {4e6c1112-57b6-44ba-adf9-99fb573b0a30}
category app-startup SessionStartup service,@binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstartup;1

component {d37ccdf1-496f-4135-9575-037180af010d} nsSessionStore.js
contract @binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstore;1 {d37ccdf1-496f-4135-9575-037180af010d}

I found that Iceape-UXP appears to have a similar declaration at:
https://github.com/roytam1/iceape-uxp/blob/master/common/src/SuiteCommon.manifest#L23C1-L23C82

There, it has the following Session store and Session startup declarations (Iceape-UXP):

contract @mozilla.org/suite/sessionstartup;1 {4e6c1112-57b6-44ba-adf9-99fb573b0a30}
category app-startup SessionStartup service,@mozilla.org/suite/sessionstartup;1
contract @mozilla.org/suite/sessionstore;1 {d37ccdf1-496f-4135-9575-037180af010d}

Forgive me for not fully understanding the code.

Are the names really different?  My impression is that paths are different, where BNavigator has "@binaryoutcast.com/navigator/" and Iceape-UXP has "@mozilla.org/suite/".

How should I use this to allow the Session Manager extension to work as intended but for BNavigator?

Edited by Ascii2

17 hours ago, modnar said:

Perhaps there's something wrong with your ST profile?

Thanks for the feedback guys. So the problem is here. It's weird. I also use the latest version. Tried disabling all extensions and still no way to get the page to finish loading, Serpent closes itself. I'm attaching an error Mega gives me with the extensions enabled. Only in that case it doesn't close but it doesn't finish loading, obviously.

errorMega.jpg

FYI;

From the Pale Moon forum:

Planned system requirements changes this year

Later this year (probably somewhere in the summer), we will be changing the minimum system requirements for 64-bit Pale Moon builds (which means all main-line builds we publish except for Windows 32-bit) to once again be more in line with "modern processor optimization" as-advertised on our website.

This follows a lengthy discussion about the impact of this and a baseline poll on the forum to decide on how best to approach this issue. The gist of it is that our processor and build optimizations have fallen behind what current hardware supports, and we're leaving a lot of performance on the table as a result. This seriously holds back the browser's potential and lies at the root of some of the slowness users have been experiencing when dealing with very heavy "modern" websites.

What changes will be made to the system requirements?

Our requirements for 32-bit Windows will remain unchanged.

For 64-bit on x86 hardware, we will move from a minimum requirement of a CPU with SSE2 support, to one that supports at least the AVX instruction set. In Intel terms, this means x86_64 v2 + AVX.
Any desktop Intel CPU released after approximately 2011 (Intel Sandy Bridge or later), and any desktop AMD CPU released after approximately 2013 (AMD Bulldozer or later) should support AVX. Some users have indicated that particularly low-power mobile CPUs have lagged behind in their support for AVX a little (Some 10W Celerons, for example) so if you are running a particularly low-end CPU or laptop, you may want to double-check. If you are unsure, you can use e.g. CPU-Z on Windows to see what your CPU supports. Linux and other operating systems may have tools available inside the distribution itself to query CPU capabilities; please check your documentation (or community fora) if you need help.
For some alternative operating systems that would normally run on much older hardware (e.g. Solaris/Illumos), we may continue using an SSE2 baseline. Please check your maintainers' information if this is the case or not. It is expected that all our main distribution channels follow this requirement change, though, i.e. Windows, binary Linux from our website, and package distributions for major Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu/etc.)

11 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

The BNavigator Session store and Session startup  declarations are:

contract @binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstartup;1 {4e6c1112-57b6-44ba-adf9-99fb573b0a30}
category app-startup SessionStartup service,@binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstartup;1

contract @binaryoutcast.com/navigator/sessionstore;1 {d37ccdf1-496f-4135-9575-037180af010d}

I found that Iceape-UXP appears to have a similar declaration at:
https://github.com/roytam1/iceape-uxp/blob/master/common/src/SuiteCommon.manifest#L23C1-L23C82

There, it has the following Session store and Session startup declarations (Iceape-UXP):

contract @mozilla.org/suite/sessionstartup;1 {4e6c1112-57b6-44ba-adf9-99fb573b0a30}
category app-startup SessionStartup service,@mozilla.org/suite/sessionstartup;1
contract @mozilla.org/suite/sessionstore;1 {d37ccdf1-496f-4135-9575-037180af010d}

Forgive me for not fully understanding the code.

Are the names really different?  My impression is that paths are different, where BNavigator has "@binaryoutcast.com/navigator/" and Iceape-UXP has "@mozilla.org/suite/".

How should I use this to allow the Session Manager extension to work as intended but for BNavigator?

I dropped one in /boc-uxp/ and you have test it (untested here)

13 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I dropped one in /boc-uxp/ and you have test it (untested here)

Thank you.  The assistance is much appreciated.

I have tested the extension.  It does not work correctly immediately.  I noticed that you have provided both original and modified XPI archive member files.  However, the install.rdf and install.rdf.bak files appear to not have been named correctly.  Your included install.rdf file is the same as the original (unmodified) install.rdf file and your install.rdf.bak file appears to be your actual modded version of install.rdf, for all mentioned XPI archive member files, file name and recorded file timestamps notwithstanding.  After swapping the file names of install.rdf and install.rdf.bak, the extension can install and work as it would for Iceape-UXP or SeaMonkey.

Thank you again.

I have uploaded a copy of the extension with the mentioned member file naming corrections to:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/690lmpk1way68z7/session_manager-0.8.1.14-sm.xpi/file
Size:  552,630 bytes ; SHA-1:  b73bc2ea9fd8d5902bc83f9a8926db5eabc967c3

Edited by Ascii2

On 2/9/2024 at 10:20 PM, UCyborg said:

Some interesting insights regarding memory leaks and CPU usages spikes. It's a recurring topic and it appears it will stay that way unless something changes radically, either the web at large or the web browser.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:48 PM, Mathwiz said:

For those who don't want to read through a long thread, I offer the following pull-quote from MC:

I tend to agree, both with MC's take (bad website design) and @VistaLover's pessimism that anything will change. "It runs just fine on the latest Chrome and even Firefox, with only 64GB RAM and five dozen processor cores! What - you don't throw out and replace your PC every month? You aren't running Win 11? What's wrong with you?"

On 2/10/2024 at 8:02 PM, Ascii2 said:

The issue described has been quite annoying and troublesome.  The problem appears to be one of resource abuse/sloppiness and garbage collection in the client applications.

It would seem that newer Mozilla browser applications or Gecko might not provide much, if at all, any safeguarding of resource management.  Could the problem alleviated by improving the programming in these areas?  Maybe garbage collection from past Gecko can be incorporated.

After thinking some about the issue, my impression is that blaming the High CPU and delays/slowdown, that can be worked around by restarting the browser, on Mozilla's implementation not performing proper garbage collection on problematic windows/tabs and instead relying on termination of a browser process, to be erroneous.  The problem described began to manifest much after regular multi-process has been used in Firefox and also the Pale Moon rebasing of the Pale Moon codebase on newer Firefox.  For a long time before the manifest of the problem, with only a single application process, the problem would not manifest on Firefox, SeaMonkey, or any of the @roytam1 derivatives.  Further, it is notable that @feodor2's Mypal 68.13.9b also does not manifest the problem when it is configured to use only a single process (set dom.ipc.processCount to 1 and browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false).  My impression is that the Pale Moon/Basilisk/Binary Outcast derivative implementations are faulty.

13 hours ago, reboot12 said:

https://speedtest.com.pl/ not working in Serpent v52.9.0 (2024-02-23) (64-bit) - Ładowanie aplikacji...

Same on Serpent 52.9.0 x86 2024-2-23, just says "Ładowanie aplikacji..." / "Loading application...". You can use speedtest.net though. :whistle: