Supermium

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Supermium is the same as usual Chrome, but with tweaks to make it work on old OS. GDI rendering instead of Dwrite for XP, rewritten memory functioning. Supermium understands Chrome flags. Some flags added, some removed.

All of the usual connections to Google servers are present.

It's not that I'm very clear on how to differentiate one from the other, but 360 Extreme Explorer uses Webkit2 engine.

2 hours ago, Milkinis said:

is this an ongoing project or will the 108 not be upgraded anymore ? how does it perform in comparison to Supermium 122 ? 

I prefer the GUI in 122.  But it's still "not right" on my systems.  Unsure why nobody else is seeing the left edge of GUI fonts being cut off.

122 is also faster, but not by enough that typical browsing would likely even notice.

image.thumb.png.6240098f0d4de228f8cd8efa8fe21916.png

Posted (edited)

youtube does not load with the new version and cannot login to gmail

Edited by shelby

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, shelby said:

youtube does not load

Works for me, though drops frames in XP, as do earlier versions. Works fine on Vista+ (decent HW, e.g. browsers like 360Chrome & Mypal don't drop frames). 

Edited by 66cats

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, shelby said:

youtube does not load with the new version and cannot login to gmail

GM and YT work in vanilla profile, albeit with all the adds and scripts I don't like. In my usual profile (with tweaks, switches and flags with which they used to work) they don't work anymore (with ungoogled switches or not). In GM, the problem is non-functioning buttons next and such, which prevents login. In YT, empty portal, no search bar.

The compact-ui switch now cuts tabs heigh in half, but without adjuting fonts, so the titles are also (vertically) cut in half.

With my tweaked settings, I managed to get rid of google.com altogether from the list of search engines. Still, I can only use bing or yahoo. I would like to know how to add and make default searches of my choice.

On the bright side, chrome processes close on exiting supermium.

PS: a previous version of this post just dissappeared.

Edited by dmiranda

Posted (edited)

enable ungoogled supermium mode in shortcut creates the bug with the youtube and gmail. x64 version

Edited by shelby

8 minutes ago, shelby said:

enable ungoogled supermium mode in shortcut creates the bug with the youtube and gmail

Yup. Disabling the ungoogled supermium mode in flags AND deleting the --ungoogled-supermium switch makes GM and YT work again. In the previous version, they worked even with ungoogled supermium mode in flags.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cixert said:

It's not that I'm very clear on how to differentiate one from the other, but 360 Extreme Explorer uses Webkit2 engine.

Where are you getting that from? AFAIK everything Chromium based is Blink, WebKit is mostly present on Apple's devices. I'm not aware of any readily downloadable recent web browser available for any Windows version based on WebKit. Otter Browser? On Linux, there's Gnome WEB, might be more updated. Haven't tried either.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Unsure why nobody else is seeing the left edge of GUI fonts being cut off.

It simply doesn't happen here.

Edited by UCyborg

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Where are you getting that from? AFAIK everything Chromium based is Blink, WebKit is mostly present on Apple's devices. I'm not aware of any readily downloadable recent web browser available for any Windows version based on WebKit. Otter Browser? On Linux, there's Gnome WEB, might be more updated. Haven't tried either.

It simply doesn't happen here.

Probably @Cixert assumed, and rightfully so, the double engine of 360 Explorer or something similar would be implemented in Supermium, too.  

Posted (edited)

Actually, reading some more, it doesn't seem like Otter Browser counts as WebKit based anymore. Pretty sure 360Chrome has it mislabelled as well. It might be that Chrome extensions also don't come naturally for WebKit browsers. Blink is a fork of WebKit with changes tailoring it specifically to Chromium.

Edit: Version 46.0 of Gnome WEB should be more interesting than 41.0 I have at hand in the repo of this outdated Ubuntu installation. I've read they added support for Web Extensions about 2 years ago. The user agent of version 41.0 reads: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.0 Safari/605.1.15

Second edit: Similarly to Gecko, it appears WebKit also doesn't adopt everything Google thinks should be in the web browser.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Second edit: Similarly to Gecko, it appears WebKit also doesn't adopt everything Google thinks should be in the web browser.

Firefox has two different browsers one for IPAD based on Webkit and the other one for IPHONE based on Gecko (thanks to UE DMA rules)

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/26/mozilla-on-apple-eu-browser-engine-change/#:~:text=iPad Air-,Mozilla is 'Extremely Disappointed' With Implementation of,Apple's EU Browser Engine Change&text=In iOS 17.4%2C Apple is,Act in the European Union.

Edited by Milkinis

23 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My XP continues to cut off the left edge of GUI fonts (web rendered fonts are fine).

This is true in Supermium, Thorium, CatsXP, Chromium ESR 92, and Chromium ESR 108.  In XP only.

What can I do to assist in FIXING this - I will not become a GitHub member, so what else can I do to assist in tracking this nuance down?

image.thumb.png.f76c3dc72a5f5ee6fd8d05b705b9a510.png

image.png.858d4464fb44b0036b39ffa255314842.png

image.png.4373b68f3a25d6cf9cd95829951de040.png

image.png.6c348d250b9705d307896688ef19bc51.png

image.png.96e1062d4b2ef009634198dc41f7bcb3.png

I had the exact same problem on WinXP SP3.
I installed the "Segoe UI" fonts from Win10.
Problem solved!

01.png

xdofsr.png

12 minutes ago, Mehmed said:

I had the exact same problem on WinXP SP3.
I installed the "Segoe UI" fonts from Win10.

Ah, thank you!

That explains it.  "Segoe UI" on XP (and 7) gives me migraines.  I've not had any issues with "Segoe UI" on Win10.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ah, thank you!

That explains it.  "Segoe UI" on XP (and 7) gives me migraines.  I've not had any issues with "Segoe UI" on Win10.

Glad that explains it, I do have the Segoe UI fonts installed on XP.
I can't remember why.
:)