My Browser Builds (Part 4)

44 minutes ago, modnar said:

I tried icedove, but I prefer MailNews, works well.

Yep! I also tried IceDove months ago but MailNews is unbeatable in Windows XP and ideal for me, so to speak. It works with all my email services, can be wonderfully customised with extensions and supports OAuth 2.0. I can highly recommend it. And thanks again to @roytam1 for this port! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Though, I still find it strange that I had to use Normal password authenication method (and not OAuth2) to successfully connect my Gmail account to MailNews, but it works nonetheless.

And yes, since I am a fan of old software, I agree with @modnar: MailNews is for me and a very awesome piece of email client. I even customized it with the help of this amazing guide by @InterLinked: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/mail/

IceDove is really good too, but I use MailNews so often.

Edited by mina7601

19 hours ago, XPerceniol said:
On 1/6/2024 at 12:31 AM, roytam1 said:

...Tighten default script time-outs and expose stop_slow_scripts (0bcbbafa73)

I DO hope this makes a positive difference for us using NM28!

I doubt it, AFAIK this is the time takes the browser to snap out when it gets stuck running a script and from user's POV, freezes in the process. Moonchild may not believe in Speedometer, which is indeed a boring benchmark, but nevertheless, the fact remains that JavaScript engine is SLOOOOOOW.

Source: Working with client-rendered web app that makes me money.

1 minute ago, UCyborg said:

I doubt it, AFAIK this is the time takes the browser to snap out when it gets stuck running a script and from user's POV, freezes in the process. Moonchild may not believe in Speedometer, which is indeed a boring benchmark, but nevertheless, the fact remains that JavaScript engine is SLOOOOOOW.

Source: Working with client-rendered web app that makes me money.

Ugh ... thank you for the explanation! I guess I was clutching there on to that because (you're right) its actually quite slow at times compare to Mypal; but its ok because I'm patient. Al is well here and thank @roytam1 :) 

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

those (few?) Icedove users can always revert to the previous release, couldn't they? :dubbio:

Yes, I could revert to previous release, but I can wait. :)

Edited by mina7601

I haven't updated InterLink at least since Tobin was going to ragequit. I thought Google doesn't allow mere mortals to get in with classic password auth? Maybe they made an exception for Egyptians.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:28 PM, XPerceniol said:

I guess I was clutching there on to that because (you're right) its actually quite slow at times compare to Mypal; but its ok because I'm patient.

Well it's manageable and I'm very used to certain extensions and font rendering. But yeah, if displaying something takes 5 seconds in Chrome, it'll take 11 seconds in Pale Moon. Though this was more extreme example, delays would still add up if you counted them.

On the other hand, both Chrome and Firefox struggle with 4K videos on my end, Pale Moon plays them like a boss. At least if you don't try them after longer session.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Pale Moon plays them like a boss. At least if you don't try them after longer session.

Yes, I did notice that NM28 does a nice job rendering in comparison and I keep sessions short. Always do anyway and I use Ccleaner.

user_pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_entries", 3);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.interval", 30000);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo", 3);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.privacy_level", 2);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash", false);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.upgradeBackup.maxUpgradeBackups", 0);

Edited by XPerceniol

I'm curious - why does site mimovrste.com /owned by alegro.cz/ load items so slowly in Serpent 52.9? I don't really need the site anymore, just curious.

43 minutes ago, modnar said:

I'm curious - why does site mimovrste.com /owned by alegro.cz/ load items so slowly in Serpent 52.9? I don't really need the site anymore, just curious.

What a bloated site... :angry:

Even in Firefox 121 and Chromium it's sluggish.

Serpent 52 encountered blank page today with patents.google.com. Since I had visited the site recently, maybe Google changed something. The error console gives:

Warning: unreachable code after return statement
Source File: https://www.gstatic.com/patent-search/frontend/patent-search.search_20231215_RC01/scs/compiled_dir/search-app-vulcanized.js
Line: 21363, Column: 8
Source Code:
        return $jscomp$generator$context$m1628565157$0.jumpTo(0); 

Hope it helps debugging.

4 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Even in Firefox 121 and Chromium it's sluggish.

The first time loading that website, yes, it's sluggish, but next time after the first time, loading it isn't sluggish anymore.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

https://www.mimovrste.com/ is practically unusable on my phone. Manageable in Pale Moon on PC with some freezes there and there, better with Edge and the like, the site needs horsepower.

:OT
No problem to access this website in Opera on my Android 9 tablet.
:END OF OT
In general, this is a website which is bloated and cumbersome. It can be accessed in New Moon 28 on my underpowered Windows XP computer, but why bother? :P Such crappy sites are food for my tablet :D

Edited by AstroSkipper