360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

On 8/31/2023 at 2:30 PM, UCyborg said:

Heh, I was just looking at what elements are used alone. This is something you'd make in the first hour of web development class.

On 8/31/2023 at 6:36 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed.  But it also presents a serious realization.  Whenever we (MSFN as a whole) "complains" about the modern web or Google-isms or Mozilla-isms and how "bloated" modern web design is, we (MSFN as a whole) must remind ourself that "this" is what our view of the internet would LOOK LIKE if it were wholly and completely "bloat-free".  :crazy:

On 9/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, UCyborg said:

A World Bland Web then.

Folks, be nice. The author clearly isn't a professional Web developer, and for that we should be grateful! A Web site can still be useful without all that "flash" and "sizzle" and the CPU/GPU-sucking CSS and JavaScript that goes along with it. (I agree with NHTPG about the ridiculous anti-Wikipedia rant, though.)

15 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I like such websites. Fast, easy and unbloated. The way it used to be. Without nonsensical frills. :P

yeah, also the web hosting service of that page seems very nice (with a good base idea) -->  https://neocities.org/
I recently migrated my website stuff to that service because I was using GitHub, and well, Microsoft owns GitHub and that makes it boring. Also because I want to support it in some way (at least by using the service for now).
Seeing the same kind of plastic web pages all the time and how easy is to break a website nowadays just makes it obvious that website development is just a Jenga tower that is mantained by some kind of temporal anti-gravity force.
Originality and own effort is just thrown away for an ugly/soulless template and the people thinks that said template is the only way to build websites in the present.

16 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Microsoft owns GitHub and that makes it boring.

But - but - but GitHub's site was written by professional Web developers! It has all those CPU-gobbling transitions! How could it not be interesting?

16 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Seeing the same kind of plastic web pages all the time and how easy is to break a website nowadays just makes it obvious that website development is just a Jenga tower that is maintained by some kind of temporal anti-gravity force.

Yes:buehehe: It has become a self-licking ice cream cone!

Look at the massive boost in PC horsepower since 1980 or so. Back then, a 10 MB HDD was top-of-the line; today, it's more like 10 TB - a millionfold increase.

RAM on the original IBM PC topped out at 640 kB, and some joker named Bill Gates said that was all anyone would ever need. Now, even a modest PC comes with maybe 8 GB - a several-thousandfold increase.

The CPU clock in the original IBM PC ran at under 5 MHz; now CPUs are clocked at around 2 GHz - nearly a thousandfold increase.

But are you getting a thousand times more work done on your PC now than you did 40 years ago? Is it 1000x faster or more responsive? Of course not! You have gotten more productive, but by nowhere near that much. I'd guesstimate that I'm about 10x more productive on today's PCs than I was back then. Maybe some of you are 20x or even 30x as productive, but nobody is 1000x more productive! So where did all that extra horsepower go?

It's as if we took a cheap automobile and replaced the 4-cylinder engine with a nuclear thermal rocket - yet it only accelerates a little bit faster than before!

Depends on what you use your computer for.

Ten years or so ago, it would take seven hours to convert a 4+ GB dvd movie to a 600 MB avi file on a computer that was five years old or so at the time.

I can do that in 20 minutes now and my computer is ten years old with an HDD and not so much as an SSD.

Ten years ago, I was on an AMD Athlon 64 and yep, it took seven hours to convert a dvd movie to a cd-r sized avi file.  420 minutes.

My i7 is ten years old and it can do it in 20 minutes.  Multi-thread, not single-process.  So I guess that puts me in the "21x more productive" camp if you look at 20min versus 420min.

But if you look at it from an 8hr job perspective, that is 1 movie per day for 5 days a week, so only 5 per week.

Versus 3 per hour so 24 in an 8hr day times 5 days or 120 per week.  That would be "24x more productive".

Or something like that, lol.

However, "work" is force times distance times the cosine of theta, so can a computer really even do "work"?

• 2 weeks later...

Will we 360EE users have a fix for the libwebp vulnerability?

I suspect not. The "big boys" are only fixing the latest versions of their browsers - and they all require Win 10 now. Edit: Despite lack of official support, this vulnerability is so bad that Edge and FF (and Chrome, I suspect) have published fixed versions of their last Win 7/8/8.1 versions.

Thorium (for Win 7/8/8.1) will probably get a fix, but XP/Vista users are SOL. Edit: NHTPG noted that Supermium runs on Vista and is at the current version (117) so Vista users will probably get a fix too. Edit 2: Sure enough, version 118 is out now with the fix.

There's no "unGoogled" version of either browser yet, though.

An alternative might be to disable WebP images in the browser entirely. That's possible in FF but not in Chromium; WebP is Google's own creation (and not a bad format, despite this vulnerability in their decoder). And I bet a lot of Web sites would look terrible without WebP image support anyhow!

A better solution would be to scan downloaded WebP images and block any that would overflow the buffer. That would slow things down, but wouldn't block legit WebP images. Maybe Proxomitron could be leveraged somehow?

Edited by Mathwiz

33 minutes ago, Anbima said:

I have added the following to my filter in uBlock: *.webp
With this all webp images should not be displayed.
Does this fix the problem?

I kind of doubt it.  I am not positive, but I think that some web browsers (may only be macOS) do convert-in-place conversions and display .webp images even when .jpg was issued.

You would have to alter the HTTP "Accept" Request Header in order to prevent this.

17 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Win10+ users also have the option of removing the wepb (pronounced "weppy", if I recall correctly)  --  Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WebpImageExtension | Remove-AppxPackage –allusers

Those familiar with PowerShell will know how to use that line.

Is it possible to disable this in 360Chrome perhaps also by means of a switch or flags at startup?

On 9/16/2023 at 4:30 AM, Mathwiz said:

Will we 360EE users have a fix for the libwebp vulnerability?

Of course not.

On 9/16/2023 at 4:30 AM, Mathwiz said:

A better solution would be to scan downloaded WebP images and block any that would overflow the buffer.

Or you can just edit the accept header and throw out webp into the garbage, where it belongs..

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

What would be the easiest way to do this?

I do this via Proxomitron.

But for the non-Proxo 360Chrome user, I can follow @Dixel's suggestion and upload a revision within the next day or two.  I'd likely only upload a new rev for build 13.5.2036 as it is the only version I still use.

Unknown which versions we still have MSFN Members using.