List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

STO dropping support for Windows 7 and older GPUs after Feb 2022

What happens if I don’t upgrade by February 15?

Starting in November 2021, if you are running on Windows 7 or using a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level 10, you will be informed of the upcoming incompatibility via the launcher.

As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603-upcoming-os-and-directx-support-changes

https://teddit.net/r/sto/comments/pot5du/sto_dropping_support_for_windows_7_and_older_gpus/

7 hours ago, ctrlkhan said:

STO dropping support for Windows 7 and older GPUs after Feb 2022

What happens if I don’t upgrade by February 15?

Starting in November 2021, if you are running on Windows 7 or using a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level 10, you will be informed of the upcoming incompatibility via the launcher.

As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603-upcoming-os-and-directx-support-changes

https://teddit.net/r/sto/comments/pot5du/sto_dropping_support_for_windows_7_and_older_gpus/

This is very interesting.. why would they block windows 7 and keep 8.1? I don't think that 8.1 has anything (except dx 11.2) over windows 7 that would stop the game from running. I hate when companies do this :realmad:

On 9/29/2021 at 3:02 PM, Tripredacus said:

No they should still be reported. There are other video chips besides nVidia after all.

Since I don't think that not having the newest drivers would be much of an issue I have to ask you what other chips besides amd and nvidia are on the market that still supports 7 or 8? I think nvidia was the last one to still drop new drivers for these operating systems.

42 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Since I don't think that not having the newest drivers would be much of an issue ... I think nvidia was the last one to still drop new drivers,,,

I agree with this part of your statement, but the problem you will probably run into is the newest games will refuse to run on Win 7, whether they truly need the latest driver which doesn't install, or if the game company can't or won't support Win 7 any more. Older games, using older drivers, should still be able to run on Win 7 just fine. Not being a gamer, neither of these cases bother me, and I fully expect to be able to run Win 7 for many more years of "normal" usage.

As to the purpose of this thread, it will be useful to others if you note which versions of which games or apps are the last ones to run on Win 7. If possible, try to determine if it is the installer which, possibly artificially, will no longer function on Win 7, or if it is the game or app itself.

Cheers and Regards

16 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Since I don't think that not having the newest drivers would be much of an issue I have to ask you what other chips besides amd and nvidia are on the market that still supports 7 or 8? I think nvidia was the last one to still drop new drivers for these operating systems.

AMD and Intel.

A new game release would normally not be needed to be posted about in here, unless it was a game that originally did support Win7 and the support was removed in one way or another. That could be that the devs put in a version check, or if there was some update that required a minimum driver version and that driver wasn't an option for Win7. D2R wouldn't normally be something to post about in this thread except that it did take many by surprise, that a remaster of a game that worked on XP couldn't be run on Win7. Especially since it is already known that the game actually does run on Win7 just fine, it is just the launcher or a version check in the game binary that prevents it from being launched.

The unfortunate aspect of all of this is that we cannot talk about how to get games or programs like this to work on Win7 if the way to get them to work is modifying the binary, using a patch or crack of any type. But if it is possible to get a thing to work by putting the newer OS files into the program or game's working directory, that is fair game. That was the thing I was thinking about regarding D2R, and I am certain that if the game can be launched this way it wouldn't result in a ban, but I'm also not willing to spend full price on it to find out.

Just now, Tripredacus said:

The unfortunate aspect of all of this ...

Tripredacus , it says you're from US , so what about DMCA Section 1201 ?

"It's Now Legal to Crack Your PC Games..." - By Marcus Yam at tomshardware.com

He writes : "Essentially, it comes down to this: "New DMCA rules make it legal ... People may now rip DVDs to show clips for educational purposes, criticism, commentary and noncommercial videos. People may now legally jailbreak their iPhones and root their Android phones without fear that a corporation will rain down upon them. People may now legally unlock their cell phones. (These first three are mostly the result of lobbying from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.) People may now circumvent the copy protection of PC and video games for investigative reasons. This should be a great thing for PC gamers sick of dealing with the DRM of the games they legally purchased. People may now get past software that's protected by an outdated hardware dongle."

P.S.

I do not know about other countries.

Source:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/drm-dmca-jailbreaking-unlocking-iphone,10944.html

On 9/30/2021 at 10:51 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

This is very interesting.. why would they block windows 7 and keep 8.1? I don't think that 8.1 has anything (except dx 11.2) over windows 7 that would stop the game from running. I hate when companies do this :realmad:

The Graphics of Star Trek Online (STO) were outdated in 2010, when STO was released...

Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, Dixel said:

Tripredacus , it says you're from US , so what about DMCA Section 1201 ?

"It's Now Legal to Crack Your PC Games..." - By Marcus Yam at tomshardware.com

He writes : "Essentially, it comes down to this: "New DMCA rules make it legal ... People may now rip DVDs to show clips for educational purposes, criticism, commentary and noncommercial videos. People may now legally jailbreak their iPhones and root their Android phones without fear that a corporation will rain down upon them. People may now legally unlock their cell phones. (These first three are mostly the result of lobbying from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.) People may now circumvent the copy protection of PC and video games for investigative reasons. This should be a great thing for PC gamers sick of dealing with the DRM of the games they legally purchased. People may now get past software that's protected by an outdated hardware dongle."

P.S.

I do not know about other countries.

Source:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/drm-dmca-jailbreaking-unlocking-iphone,10944.html

MSFN is hosted in Europe, where I live doesn't really matter in that regard. While Xper says what the site rules are, we are bound by anything from EU in addition to that. Even if in EU it became legal to crack a program for investigative reasons, only Xper would be the one to say that we could talk about that on the site.

@Jaguarek62 You are talking about newest drivers, but there are still drivers. I do not bother with updating drivers constantly, only stick with ones that work. Update only if necessary but for video drivers that rarely happens anymore. I used to be that way, but after years of working with manufacturing, embedded devices and "CSM" products, I tend to not be on the bleeding edge when it comes to drivers.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

sadly gog patched games many times breaks compatibility with original OS too if classic title

Last time I looked at Good Old Games releases, they had added a couple patches for playing CD music from files on disk (winmm.dll) and another for working around missing functions in new video adapter drivers (ddraw.dll). You can remove these patches. For the music, it's also necessary to edit the binary because they changed the file name of the DLL. There are older versions of these patches that run on winxp without updates, or you can play music from Daemon Tools. GOG uses the same No-CD binaries with the signature edited out, which are available from other channels. This caused a public controversy in the past.

I think most new games are primarily aimed at multiplayer, as a means of copyright enforcement, and you have to have the same latest version to join multiplayer for technical reasons.

I've seen patches/ports of old games don't support original OS, eg. Chimera for Halo: Custom Edition (XP support was put back recently, though I haven't tried it yet), ThirteenAG, who's famous for developing widescreen patches, compiled stuff with toolset that doesn't target XP last time I checked, even if most code is compatible.

Some more advanced source ports of older games (or rather their engines) are leaving old OS behind, though in case of open source engine, ports may be developed that focus on compatibility.

Possible reasons for the breakage of the patches/ports that aren't focusing on compatibility include lack of interest in old platforms themselves/lack of suitable test environment, using compilers that don't target older OS; sometimes the code would work with older compiler, other times programming language's features are used that aren't supported by older compilers.

Edited by UCyborg

On 9/29/2021 at 2:33 AM, tyl0413 said:

Should we stop reporting new games that aren't supported from now on? From October nVidia will stop making Game Ready Drivers so basically no more games for Windows 7.

You generally don't need the newest drivers to run games. You just need support for the right APIs.

• 2 weeks later...