My Browser Builds (Part 2)

16 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Apparently this browser is called Nightly. As in nightly builds? I don't know. Neat name, nonetheless

In this case "Nightly" is the default app name in unofficial Firefox branding; Roytam1's offering is an unofficial (unbranded) fork of Mozilla's Firefox ESR 45 branch... :P

24 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

A number of Jetpack SDK extensions can be force-installed (but non-guaranteed they'll function as designed) in NM27 via the Moon Tester Tool extension (v1.0.2 should be preferred in NM27, because it also supports Firefox Complete Themes and Mozilla dictionaries ;) ; both were dropped in recent Pale Moon 28.1x.*/29.0.0a6, thus latest MTT 2.0.1 also axed support for those... :o)

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/120

was the upstream UXP issue that tracked this for the transition Pale Moon 27/Tycho -> Pale Moon 28/UXP :rolleyes:

Noice

Y9yb7qi.png

22 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I personally delete all such runtime DLLs from programs' folder and let them use the ones installed system-wide. Some, but not all Firefox browsers' dependentlibs.list file contains those DLLs' names, they should be deleted from it to avoid "Couldn't load XPCOM" error after deleting the DLLs.

What's the reason for doing this exactly? In this case, it seems there's no guarantee that would be installed in the first place, so this could backfire by not working for many.

Shouldn't be a problem if all VC++ redists from 2005 - 2019 are installed. I do it so i don't have duplicates and for such libraries, it doesn't make sense that each application has its own copies as they're supposed to be shared resource.

15 hours ago, VistaLover said:

(NB: OT content, NPP related ;) )

It's probably Notepad++ bug #8010 on XPSP3/2003SP2, which started with NPP v7.8.3 :(

Notepad++ bug #8010 was closed as WONTFIX; dail8859, a member of NPP's organisation, plainly states that XP is not supported anymore:

-_-

Naaahh...that's disillusioning. :(

I hate this "fading out" of support...there are often more and more bugs and no "final version" or such until a certain software is completely unusable. My imagination of an ending support of a software for a certain OS is, that there are still bug fixes...but I also know that either the required man-power and/or the interest in it (due to different reasons) is missing.

Not satisfying...

kind regards
soggi

Ugh, I kinda get tired of hearing this "stuff".

And I know that the "philosophy" or the "ideology" or the "sociology", whichever best classifies it, is not only difficult to explain, but also difficult to grasp.

An excerpt from thougtco.com - https://www.thoughtco.com/ideology-definition-3026356

Ideology is a system of concepts and views which serves to make sense of the world while obscuring the social interests that are expressed therein, and by its completeness and relative internal consistency tends to form a closed system and maintain itself in the face of contradictory or inconsistent experience.  ~Terry Eagleton  </end exceprt>

I love my Win XP - and my love for it is an "obscured social interest".

Others here love their Win XP (or their Vista, as the case may go) - our shared love of our obscured social interest is "internally consistent".

We are a "closed system" - whether we are conscious of being closed or not.

We stand hand-in-hand in defense of our obscured social interest even "in the face of contradictory or inconsistent experience".

We know that XP is less secure than 10 - but we don't care, we have more dominant justifications to use XP.

ie, "obscured"

We know that security vulnerabilities exist in running an old OS but we attempt to draw the line at running an old version of Notepad++  ???

ie, "in the face of contradictory or inconsistent experience"

ie, "even more obscured"

Again, we are a "closed system" - and our "social interest" is *obscured* (ie, unclear and difficult to understand, especially to those on the "outside" of that 'closed system').

It really is NOT "our place" to push "our world view" upon those 'on the outside'.

If Moonchild wished to abandon XP, it is their (his?) prerogative to do so.

If Notepad++ wishes to abandon XP, it is their prerogative to do so.

et cetera...

I don't know, difficult to explain, difficult to grasp.

I love my XP and as "closed" as that may be, at least you guys are just as "closed", lol.

But I myself do attempt to remain conscious of living inside that "closed system".

And, while opinionated as I am, I do try to "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away"  :)

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Re: Notepad++

I personally use PORTABLE software pretty much exclusively.

My version-of-choice when it comes to Notepad++ is version 6.8.8.

It's not only the first version to color-code .rdf and .xul, but I monitor installer size and it's among the SMALLEST .paf.exe versions by a very wide margin.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

15 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Shouldn't be a problem if all VC++ redists from 2005 - 2019 are installed. I do it so i don't have duplicates and for such libraries, it doesn't make sense that each application has its own copies as they're supposed to be shared resource.

not really for mozilla related products. there is a list to check if required runtime files are in same directory as xul.dll when starting up.

There's little more behind dependentlibs.list than the mere check for listed DLLs. Arbitrary DLL may be dropped in the application directory and have its name added to dependentlibs.list before xul.dll and the listed DLL will be loaded at application startup.

The reoccurring pattern is that said .list file lists non-system DLLs that xul.dll depends on, with xul.dll being the last on the list. I don't see a good reason for existence of dependentlibs.list and the logic behind it. When it comes to actual dependencies of xul.dll, they are resolved by the operating system when the library is loaded. Why the extra code to load them explicitly?

On 10/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, RainyShadow said:

How does one write a simple extension for NM27?

It has to modify requests to YT by adding pbj=1 to the address and the following two headers:

X-YouTube-Client-Name: 1
X-YouTube-Client-Version: 1.20200731.02.01

I tried looking in existing extensions to modify one, but just couldn't wrap my head around all that JS...

Doing these manually i was able to load the classic layout.

[edit]

These numbers are from the Good old youtube extension, Old youtube has the number 1.20200806.01.01 instead

Any progress?

On 10/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, VistaLover said:

(NB: OT content, NPP related ;) )

It's probably Notepad++ bug #8010 on XPSP3/2003SP2, which started with NPP v7.8.3 :(

Notepad++ bug #8010 was closed as WONTFIX; dail8859, a member of NPP's organisation, plainly states that XP is not supported anymore:

-_-

Copy that. Pspad works perfectly. I guess that solves my choice.

RainyShadow said:
How does one write a simple extension for NM27?
It has to modify requests to YT by adding pbj=1 to the address and the following two headers:
I tried looking in existing extensions to modify one, but just couldn't wrap my head around all that JS...

ATTENTION, next Mozilla Apokalypse already this December - in 4 weeks!

Example, such important pages:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Mozilla/XUL/
and thousands more.
Everything about HOWTO code for pre-FF57 gets now DELETED :-((( :(

Mozilla said:
Support for extensions using XUL/XPCOM or the Add-on SDK was removed in Firefox 57, released November 2017. As there is no supported version of Firefox enabling these technologies, this page will be removed by December 2020.

I tried to check if Wayback has backups, using a few example pages, but for most found nothing at all.
Then tried to guess original version URLs by removing "/Archive/" in URL, but that didn't work either:
When Mozilla moved pages to that /Archive/ link, they also changed the rest of the path structure completely :(

For example this current page:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets
contains still an original old link to
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Code_snippets/StringView
BUT it gets now redirected to:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets/StringView_library

old URL: docs/Code_snippets/StringView
curr URL: docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets/StringView
redirected: docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets/StringView_library

example-2:
old URL: docs/Mozilla/Tech/XUL/Attribute/
curr URL: docs/Archive/Mozilla/XUL/Attribute/

Then did a mass check and was first glad to see thousands of archived pages, with or without /Archive/, but at second look most are stoneage, 2009, 2014... And if not knowing the exact URL, that's an almost lost case too.

Best would be if anyone gets the wayback team to store
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/****
as a complete project again...
(Disclaimer: researched this a few weeks ago, after the quoted post above, no idea if perhaps meanwhile things have improved or not)

On 10/27/2020 at 10:26 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

Ugh, I kinda get tired of hearing this "stuff".

I don't know what you're talking about...

I think software with bugs / performance issues / security flaws fixed is better than not fixed software...so also Notepad++ with a fixed file loading bug would be better than a not fixed version, though it doesn't concern my own workflow.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi