Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

Just wondering which antivirus xp users here like & use.  Thank you.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, dencorso said:

Just facts, no guesses, please. No Extended Kernel or otherwise modded files required either.  Thanks!

Edited by dencorso
Merged 1st posts of merged threads for clarity.

A powerful firewall is extremely important if you wish to keep system away from bad guys.

https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

This firewall may not be a well known one like zone alarm or comodo but it does very good job. Try to modify any system files it will block. It will warn when critical system settings are changed then you can revert it back . Most common malware behaviour are also blocked. Including ransomewares. 

55 minutes ago, Dibya said:

I use Microsoft security essential with malwarebytes as on demand scanner  (a weakly scan) .  

Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported with XP, 4.4.304 is the latest version for XP. You can download it but automatic updating doesn't work, you need to manually update it, Or just install POSReady 2009 Registry Hack to get security updates for XP and it will make Automatic Virus definitions updating for MSE working.

Edited by Just_AHD

• 2 weeks later...

Avast supports XP and is probably the most complete antivirus with streaming updates (definitions are updated in real time), a firewall, a custom browser based on chromium that allows you to do internet banking and others "risky" things safely on XP thanks to the extra security layer, SecureLine (which allows you to use a VPN service - not in the free version, though -), a ransomware shield that protects all your file system resources from being accessed by untrusted third part applications, Secure DNS which allows you to use other DNS and access websites that are blocked in your country, a SandBox which allows you to load risky executables in a virtual environment, without the risk of infecting your real system, a Wifi inspector which tells you whether the wifi you are connected to is secure or not, a software updater which tells you which software needs to be updated and can, eventually, update it for you in background, a rescue disk which allows you to create a Disk or a USB with Avast Antivirus in it to clean up other computers (or your own computer) if it doesn't boot, a boot-time scan that allows you to scan for viruses before Windows starts in order to remove even the nastier threats, a mode to save all your password into a master password that encrypts them all and handle them for you (still in beta in XP, though), an email antivirus and antispam, a data shredder that allows you to permanently destroy files by writing random data in the cells of the files you want to permanently delete and finally a sensitive data shield which enables you to protect and encrypt your personal documents and prevent third part applications from accessing them.

In other word, Avast is my way to go. I have Avast Premier in my pc and I'm a beta tester.

Edited by FranceBB

I usually recommend Avast as well if someone wants real time scanning, and have used it myself before and like it. Avira i don't think is officially supported on XP but as of a couple months ago it still works and is okay too.

15 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Avast supports XP and is probably the most complete antivirus with streaming updates (definitions are updated in real time), a firewall, a custom browser based on chromium that allows you to do internet banking and others "risky" things safely on XP thanks to the extra security layer, SecureLine (which allows you to use a VPN service - not in the free version, though -), a ransomware shield that protects all your file system resources from being accessed by untrusted third part applications, Secure DNS which allows you to use other DNS and access websites that are blocked in your country, a SandBox which allows you to load risky executables in a virtual environment, without the risk of infecting your real system, a Wifi inspector which tells you whether the wifi you are connected to is secure or not, a software updater which tells you which software needs to be updated and can, eventually, update it for you in background, a rescue disk which allows you to create a Disk or a USB with Avast Antivirus in it to clean up other computers (or your own computer) if it doesn't boot, a boot-time scan that allows you to scan for viruses before Windows starts in order to remove even the nastier threats, a mode to save all your password into a master password that encrypts them all and handle them for you (still in beta in XP, though), an email antivirus and antispam, a data shredder that allows you to permanently destroy files by writing random data in the cells of the files you want to permanently delete and finally a sensitive data shield which enables you to protect and encrypt your personal documents and prevent third part applications from accessing them.

In other word, Avast is my way to go. I have Avast Premier in my pc and I'm a beta tester.

I used avast for a long time & liked it, but then, all of a sudden, I started getting bsod, very often.  Don't know what the conflict was, but when I was trying to figure out the problem, googling, I found that others using xp were also getting the blue screen with avast.  When I stopped avast, the blue screen ended.  

On 9/20/2017 at 7:43 PM, i430VX said:

I use clamwin on all my computers. Very lightweight, but no real time scanning.

Clamwin + Clam Sentinel gets you real time scanning, and its still lightweight.

• 1 month later...

I have two desktop computers and one laptop all Running XP SP3.   For the past 4 or 5 years, I have been running Kaspersky Anti Virus (Not the full suite of software) on all three.   Kaspersky provides a license for up to 3 machines.   I have not experienced any malware or other harmful activity on any of my machines.   Kaspersky does fully support Windows XP SP3 and the only downside I ever experience is a slower bootup while loading the various processes.  I also have installed malwarebytes (free) which I use to scan weekly and malwarebytes anti exploit (stand alone).

Edited by Dclem

Don't know how I missed the topic...

On XP, I've been using Avira for the longest time. Somewhen around 2012 I got infected and, combining my memories with my current knowledge, it was a Sality or some other polymorphic crap. I asked for help on polish security-related board, and, after a cleanup, someone suggested me using Comodo. Version 5 was then the current one. I set up the Anti-virus heuristics and scanning to the most restrictive settings, tried to get on well with Comodo Defense + (Currently named Comodo HIPS) and their complex firewall... These tools required at least mimimum understanding of what and how runs on the PC, but I found out I like digging deeper into this. No infection after that point, so I might not be such a dumb student B)

Comodo was my AV, until some problems with signature updates occurred, not only for me - many netizens reported them, too. Someone tried to track them down on their forum, but after a few months without working signature update, I decided to drop Comodo 5 Antivirus. Going to higher edition was a no-go, because some of HIPS components caused BSOD on my machines, and running newer AV with older "rest-of-the-suite" didn't seem to be possible (not even mentioning sanity of such operation) I uninstalled AV component of the Comodo and installed Avira Antivirus again.

This lasted until Avira dropped XP support. Then, I made a minor research, and it turned out that the only free AV solution that supports XP, and will be supporting it within a predictable future was Avast!. I installed this beast, configured, turning off the things that might duplicate Comodo Defense+, and it runs until today. Not without issues, but devs were listening to the bug reports sent by XP users. My Last point of my stronghold is Malwarebytes anti-exploit, which I installed when it was a late beta, and runs until now (with minimal footprint). My PC didn't explode, despite it tried a few times.

Currently I'm thinking about dropping Comodo - old machine is used mainly by my relatives, who don't understand what Comodo pop-ups have to say, and replacing it with some whitelist based anti-exe. Avast and MBAE will stay.

@roytam1

I agree that with shared computers and multiple users, antivirus is a good idea, because different users have different habits that could compromise security.

However, I also believe that antivirus provides users with a false sense of security. People with up to date systems with Microsoft patches may behave more recklessly online, thinking that they are invincible or protected against all exploits.

Those of us who continue to use Windows XP and other "unsupported" operating system likely take better precautions, because we understand the well-documented and potential vulnerabilities of running "unsupported" operating systems.

Also, running and maintaining legacy systems in this day and age usually requires a bit of know how and technical knowledge, but that condition is not necessary for people who buy machines off the shelf. Anyone can buy a Windows 10 machine off the shelf, and they could be completely technologically illiterate.

Malwarebytes still works on XP. Although it's super bloated; my T7200 laptop lost a lot of CPU and ram using it!

As antiviruses become harder to obtain on XP, luckily it's the same with malware. That's my favorite part of Windows 9x :3
Once I tried installing shady offers on my XP installation, the malware wouldn't even launch because I was missing updates!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

On 7/11/2017 at 10:19 PM, sdfox7 said:

Antivirus is overrated. The virus writers are always ahead of the security firms, which means that until definitions are released, the potential to get infected is pretty easy.

I don't use AV on any of my ThinkPads, it hurts performance. I just use Chrome and Firefox, and never have been infected in all these years. My school and home networks are secured by firewalls.

Well, false sense of security is overrated too and really hazardous on XP. Without a serious AV on XP environment your ease is as shaky as your Chrome browser stucked in 49 version. It's well known the most of dangers come from browser and insecure firewall like XP Firewall. So the only thing you can do to secure an old browser (without security updates) is installing an AV like Kaspersky (Free) that integrates itself in the browser to prevent malware exploit on security leak unpatched by the unwilling gg boys.

edit: OInly for experts don't worry.. you can also use Commodore 64 to surf the web in total security.

Edited by Vistaboy

I've been running computers for 20 years without antivirus and only a couple times I can count on 1 hand that I was infeccted and I been able to delete the virus or whatever myself,  Every time It was my own Fault.  I have never run Internet Explorer ever.  Like really people like me who know how virus make their way onto computers and how they install themselves you can stop reading.

I recommend a few things.  Autoruns (sysinternals) and Process Explorer (sysinternals).  CCleaner.  Also Stop hiding Folders on your computer so if you get a Virus you can Actually Delete it.  Learn how Virus Install themselfs.  Most the comon ones Try to put themselfs in the Run/Startup folder or in the Windows/Run Registry root.  They are also know to infect things like Active Desktop If you are smart you should just disable that and your hosts files.

A good prgram to run if you think you have a Virus is something called McAfee Stinger.  Clam win doesn't have any real time protection and its algorythems are not that great but its updated frequently and there is a pluging that adds real time protection.  Microsoft Security Essentials is weak at stopping and Cleaning Virus but its free and Far less bloated or intrusive.  Stay away from Kasperky, Symantec, or Mcafee. 

The only version of Symantec that I ever used that was good was the Corporate Edition.  McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.  All other Versions are total Trash stay away.

here is a good list of utility programs that can help you remove a virus if u really get one.  https://www.topbestalternatives.com/mcafee-stinger/

Edited by Destro