Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

• 5 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Npcap https://npcap.com/dist/

A successor to WinPcap. Last installable version on Windows Vista SP2 / Server 2008 SP2 ("R1") is 0.9993. Any version beyond that requires Windows 7 (or 7 SP1, support for 7 RTM is not tested so I have no knowledge if they ever support 7 RTM). No support for any systems before Vista / Server 2008.

For XP/2000/Me and even earlier systems, use WinPcap instead.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, MWF said:

new browser for windows vista sp2 native is finally here, it don't required extended kernel to run it, it's supermium, a chromium 119 based browser https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/tag/v119
image.thumb.png.d3d200c55fbecd1845b5ec453945fccd.png

Does the latest Supermium version require KB4474419 for SHA-2? (There are still a few Vista users out there who wish to avoid build 6.0.6003 if possible.)

3 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Does the latest Supermium version require KB4474419 for SHA-2? (There are still a few Vista users out there who wish to avoid build 6.0.6003 if possible.)

no, it don't require KB4474419, but it does mention that platfrom update is optional

Anyone have a screenshot of what this flag looks like - "A persistent flag is now available to ensure that the system handles titlebar drawing on Windows 10: #disable-windows-10-custom-titlebar." ?

If not, no worries, I just won't be able to get it into a VM until over the weekend.

Disregard.  Found this and it's NOT what I thought this flag was gonna do.  I was hoping that a traditional title bar had returned to Chrome-based Supermium.  :wacko:

Everyone has their preference, of course, and yeah, I'm Old School, I'm just not a fan of Chrome not having a "real" title bar.

Monitors are too big and way cheaper than they used to be, I don't mind losing a TINY portion of "real estate" for the sake of a "real" title bar and a "real" status bar.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

The differences are smaller with default Windows theme, but if you use a custom theme, you'll get the titlebar from theme, not stock Windows 10 look-alike.

This is with accent color enabled on the titlebars, stock Windows theme:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Above pictures are of active/focused window, but the titlebar is fully white with the flag when window is inactive while it's more greyish without the flag. Without the flag, Chromium is overriding and trying to emulate the titlebar the way Windows' compositor draws it on its own.

Another picture with official Aero Lite theme, though it can't be set through GUI AFAIK, it's Microsoft signed theme, so doesn't require SecureUxTheme or the like.

spacer.png

The one without the flag would be similar to the very first picture above + thicker borders. Well, "thicker" probably, if I remember correctly, they're just invisible with default theme, though in Windows 11 for instance, last time I checked, they're invisible even if theme has them. Bloody Microsoft, man!

Edited by UCyborg

update: for those that still using 32 bit vista, good news, win32ss fix the issue of 32 bit browser, so for those that still using 32 bit os and want that browser, you can use it and enjoy, it don't need --single-process to run anymore, even it have zipped browser file for 32 bit and 64 bit as option
image.png.23b38e31866014b39ba905dfd6434675.png

Edited by MWF

Anyone wants to check if BasicThemer2 works on Vista? It should, but few individuals feel like actually trying. :P It gives windows' frames/borders Windows Aero Basic appearance without having to actually switch to that theme and consequentially turning off DWM. May not work for processes that protect themselves from tampering.

Edited by UCyborg

11 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Anyone wants to check if BasicThemer2 works on Vista? It should, but few individuals feel like actually trying. :P It gives windows' frames/borders Windows Aero Basic appearance without having to actually switch to that theme and consequentially turning off DWM. May not work for processes that protect themselves from tampering.

It works.

w-Fs0-M9-Q34w.png

Edited by mina7601