HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

* Have found multiple problems with WMP10 on XPSP1 -- not fixed yet

* BITS update on XPSP1 -- fixed for upcoming version

* KB839645 is a mystery; it's superseded -- need to find good reg hack

* Network Diagnostics Tool for XPSP2 (was this ever supported?) -- fixed for upcoming version

@Tomcat: Would this reg hack work for 839645?

[Version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
Addreg=839645fix

[839645fix]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults","shell",0x10001,0x0

the_guy

* Network Diagnostics Tool for XPSP2 (was this ever supported?) -- fixed for upcoming version

It was not officially supported, but you showed how to do that here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=537452

I always added that manually to the script, and it worked without problems. You can now compare that old suggestion with the new support you added to the upcoming version ;-)

Regards,

Tomalak

We're getting somewhere. Most problems with WMP10 on XPSP1 are fixed; remaining:

- playlists don't work (won't fix this)

- window pops up at T-13 to complete installation of WMP10 (normally appears on first run)

@the_guy: thanks; that did it :)

@Tomalak: that manual trick won't work properly anymore for DOS-based installs with the current test releases when including WMP10 because of the double custsat.dll files. A workaround will be implemented.

I want to test this one more time with XPSP1 and XPSP2 and will release a new version tomorrow at the latest because that's probably the last day you'll be able to check if all hotfixes are slipstreamed properly on XPSP1.

OK. Check the new version :)

You still have the WMP10 popup at T-13 for XPSP1 (the one you normally get when starting WMP10 for the first time) but at least the installation isn't broken anymore. At this point, you can still choose between following the wizard or closing it. I'll try to get rid of it in the next few days.

Also, the Documentation Update is finally slipstreamed, completing support for XPSP1. Windows Update should be cool now :)

hey Tomcat76, you've been very busy with HFSLIP this past few days. :) thanks for all your hardwork. very much appreciated!

btw, the latest test release works great for me.. am with XPSP2.

thanks again!

Edited by glentium

I ran into a problem with wmfdist.exe in HF. Never had this trouble before, and by looking at the code it seems that this may be because of the WMP10 changes. During GUI setup, I got this error:

(Window Title: Advanced INF Install)

Error creating process <"C:\winnt\system32\logagent.exe" /regserver>. Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

Which comes from line 168 in WMFSDK.inf in wmfdist.exe:

[RunPost]

"""%11%\logagent.exe""" /RegServer

So I made another run without HFAAO, HFCABS, HFEXPERT, HFSVPCPACK, HFSVCPACK_SW or HFCLEANUP and I still got the error. The file, logagent.exe, is in a reducer and that is reflected in the script. I got the same error with and without that reducer.

In addition, on my test runs with HFCLEANUP taken completely out of the picture, I got a new error that I hadn't seen before:

(Window Title: Windows Update)

An error ocurred calling "DllRegisterServer" in "C:\winnt\system32\inetcomm.dll". (HRESULT = 80004005)

But adding HFCLEANUP back fixed that (part of the OE reducer).

Back to the wmfdist problem, I also tried adding the cabbed file (logagent.ex_) to FIX but that didn't help. Also tried different Compression Types (A and C) as well as test release 6a and 8a but got the same results.

The only fix for this for me is to remove wmfdist.exe. What am I doing wrong?

post-74319-1160404057_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1160404064_thumb.jpg

Thanks, TAiN.

It had nothing to do with the recent WMP10 changes.

Windows 2000 copies logagent.exe and laprxy.dll into the Windows Media Player folder by default, but WMP9 and WMP10 expect it in the system32 folder. I worked around this problem when WMP9 is slipstreamed, but forgot that wmfdist.exe also has these files and also expects them in system32.

Fixed now. :)

Working on the inetcomm.dll problem.

The IE5 section from the Update Rollup's INF isn't taken account of properly. I fixed it in an internal build and am testing it out in a VM right now.

Otherwise, Win2K with IE5 is AOK (WMP9 too).

Malmsteen's Odyssey album is helping me keep up the pace... :)

Edited by Tomcat76